Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Portugal vs Ireland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't worry this is in the correct place. I went to portugal recently and met this girl, it was full on love at first sight, something ive never experienced, we walked around all day talking, sat on the pier and watched the sunset and she invited me back to hers and made me the greatest food ive ever tasted. We then proceeded to her bedroom, considering how quiet i usually am and how similar she says she usually is this was quite a shock indeed. We then went and lay in the dark under the moonlight holding hands and staring at the stars as i was going to get on the plane, it was somethnig straight outve a movie. She's pretty, intelligent, fantastic in bed everything id ever want in anyone. The only problem is..shes portuguese and continues to live there. Im gonna see her every month or two. hopefully with her coming over here, and me going over there. We both feel so strongly about eachother, writing letters, talking on msn and the phone, what is the sucess rate from your personal experience of this type of situation?

David

Comments

• Options
    Does the success rate matter? If you both want something to happen, then surely you'll do your best to make it happen?

Go for it, man.
  • Options
    Distance is a huge problem, I won't sit here and pretend otherwise.

If you make a connection with someone, and you can have a physical relationship with them, then go for it. The worst that will happen is that it fails- the same result as if you don't try.
  • Options
    I'd say go for it but it'll be a lot of hardwork.
  • Options
    I live in England. My boyfrind lives in Brazil. It works well between us.

I met him on my GAP year and we split up when I left Brazil because I never thought I'd go back to Brazil and the thought of going out with someone on different continents seemed ridiculous! One night when I was in the first year at university I went on the internet to buy a cd and ended up accidently buying a flight back to Brazil. I turned up and we got back together. We have been together ever since. We spent three months together last year (my university summer holidays) and keep in touch with phone calls, (there are cheap access numbers for Brazil so I'm sure there are for Portugal too), e-mails, MSN, and good old romantic love letter by post.

Being apart I never even look at another man. I couldn't bear the thought of it. I trust him 100% not to do anything with another girl.

People often comment on the long distance between us but if you really love someone its merely a challenge not a reason to call it off.

Also when I met Pedro I didn't speak much Portuguese (and he doesn't speak English). I have learnt Portuguese though and am now fluent. Does your Portuguesa speak English or do you speak Portuguese? Doing language lessons can also help keep you focused.

Boa Sorte :)
  • Options
    aw wow, yeah she speaks english really well, the odd little grammar problem but its so cute anyway. But even though the novelty of her speaking portuguese and me not understanding would disappear im gonig to learn how to speak it. We talk all the time via text message and love letters, msn when we can and phone calls when i can afford it. im going over as often as possible, but i can only afford it cos of my great job working in a music school, and schools are open pretty much all the time, so its hard to get away, also if i dont work i dont get paid, no holiday pay exists. But for the past two years ive not been the type to fall in love, used to mistake lust for love far too often and i became aware of that and can feel the difference so strongly, but this is different so different, I honestly believe i love her and i will do all i can to make it work. Thanks guys you definately gave me that added bit of motivation.
  • Options
    Maybe later on down the line one of you could make a move too...;)
  • Options
    howd u mean, like a move to a different country? The problem is with me is the fact that ive got teh jobs i have here are so unlikely, i mean i get paid to stand around talking about computer games in the morning then in the afternoon go and show kids how to play guitar and get paid stupid amounts, she however is exceedingly wealthy and is becomnig a marine biologist and could easily live here BUT i hate this country adn want to leave but dont wanna leave my jobs , so id love to live with ehr but if i did that i couldnt afford it.

its difficult...though living in portugal as opposed to over here would be immense.
  • Options
    evil_dave wrote:
    howd u mean, like a move to a different country? The problem is with me is the fact that ive got teh jobs i have here are so unlikely, i mean i get paid to stand around talking about computer games in the morning then in the afternoon go and show kids how to play guitar and get paid stupid amounts, she however is exceedingly wealthy and is becomnig a marine biologist and could easily live here BUT i hate this country adn want to leave but dont wanna leave my jobs , so id love to live with ehr but if i did that i couldnt afford it.

its difficult...though living in portugal as opposed to over here would be immense.
    you would carve yourself a new life and career though. my housemate is a marine bioloist and she cantfind much work here so she's leaving the country soon.
  • Options
    I suppose i could, well ive known her for less than a week at this point, so i suppose the best thing to do , is make sure that we can stand eachother for the week im with her over easter then maybe the 2 months over the summer. If we still love eachother at that point ill consider quitting GAME and spending every possible school holiday with her, then if that works out ill move over ....maybe, it would be a major change of life style.
  • Options
    Yeah obviously don't jump ship just yet, give it time. I was just suggesting it as something you could aspire to, if you still love her as much in say 6 months or something.
  • Options
    Yeah that's the plan, I hope I do, I feel like I would. Its gonna be hard to have valentines day without her, I even wrote her a letter for valentines day but because of the postal strike she wont get it til after its over. :no: