Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

reheating mince

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i cooked some mince on thursday and the leftover mince has been in the fridge since then. will it still be ok to reaheat today? and if it is, shall i just put it in the over for say, 30mins?

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    :lol: i thought that said mice!! i wouldnt eat it after 2 days, but thats just me, i know its cool for one, but i dont think id risk 2.
  • Options
    yeah i reheat stuff all the time, days later and ive always been fine. theres a few things youve got to be careful of - chicken and rice namely, but mince will be fine/
    just make sure its piping hot
  • Options
    yeah i reheat stuff all the time, days later and ive always been fine. theres a few things youve got to be careful of - chicken and rice namely, but mince will be fine/
    just make sure its piping hot

why rice? (not questioning it just curious;p)
  • Options
    rice can harbour the botulism bacteria apparently.
    I have reheated rice loads of times and never got botulism, but its not really recommended.
  • Options
    rice can harbour the botulism bacteria apparently.
    I have reheated rice loads of times and never got botulism, but its not really recommended.

I think the main issue is leaving it warm on the side, but thats much the same with any food isnt it? Because the rice gets dodgy, and even reheating it so its piping hot doesnt kill the stuff. But I've reheated rice too, only issue I have is it goes dry :(
  • Options
    ive found that rice should be fine as long as its put into the fridge and not left to cool slowly, and it needs heating through properly.

Having said that, my Indian housemate has this rice cooker thing and he will cook rice and leave it in there, then heat it again the next day. It never gets refrigerated.....i would have thought this would be a good oppurtunity for food poisening but it doesnt seem to effect him :confused:

Back to original topic, mince is fine to reheat
  • Options
    If you cook your food thoroughly up to 65C, then you will be fine. Over this temprtature bacteria are killed- the important thing is to make sure the food is cooked through completely.

If it looks or smells bad then don't cook it, bin it. But if it doesn't you should be fine.

It's not recommended to re-heat rice, but I don't think its much of a risk. People are always too fussy about that sort of thing.
  • Options
    regeating ricew is nowt to do with microbes and all to do with chemicals.
    can't remember what it's called but reheating the ricw produces a nasty chemical change ...so tiny as to be harmless more or less ...re heat it again and the risk goes up ...reheat it again and again and it's getting very doddgy.

fry the mince ...with a little freshly chopped anything ...like onion maybe ...then at the end add a little liquid ...boil for a few seconds and enjoy.
    always worth chucking summat in to change the flavour a bit.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    regeating ricew is nowt to do with microbes and all to do with chemicals.
    can't remember what it's called but reheating the ricw produces a nasty chemical change ...so tiny as to be harmless more or less ...re heat it again and the risk goes up ...reheat it again and again and it's getting very doddgy.

fry the mince ...with a little freshly chopped anything ...like onion maybe ...then at the end add a little liquid ...boil for a few seconds and enjoy.
    always worth chucking summat in to change the flavour a bit.
    for the liquid use stock...yummy!
  • Options
    If I were reheating mince I'd either fry it in the wok, or nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
  • Options
    i always do the look and smell test, i always know if somethings gonna upset my tummy, sometimes i cant resist though and regret it later :/