Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alcohol & Honesty,truth or B.S ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Without being specific , if your spouse or significant other says something while totaly drunk , would you tend to think it's the truth or drunken bull shit ? Is alcohol truth serum which gets people to say what they really think but don't have the nerve when their straight ? Or should it be disregarded as psychobabble from an impaired person ?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It could be either. Weird things creep inot your head when your pissed that you may not agree with when you sober, but then if somehtings been on your mind alcohol is more likely to make you say it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    could be either.

from personal experience i tend to find people are a bit more honest when they're drunk but it depends what they're on about. i don't tend to find that people make things up they just tell me they really like me n stuff.
  • Options
    I would say it tends to make you more honest but then it can make you bend the truth a bit too.

Sorry that werent much help was it
  • Options
    could be either. I think sometimes alcohol can make you more emotional, therefore things seem more of an issue than they really are. Someone could be really upset about something when theyre pissed, whereas sober, it would barely be an issue.
  • Options
    Usually, alcohol makes me say things that are true but htat I would normally keep to myself. The once time I remember telling a massive lie was when I was completely and utterly smashed though. Have you askd them now they're (presumably) sober?
  • Options
    I talk complete bs when im drunk... i just make up random crap half the time..

but alcohol does make ppl more likely to say whats on their mind, yeah
  • Options
    when im pissed i feel the need to tell people (only my 2 best mates) things that really dont need to be shared and always regret it in the morning.

also i tend to stretch the truth a bit so it could go either way
  • Options
    I could imagine myself saying something stupid thats not meant to be said when im drunk and regret the next morning, but it would be the truth i think. But i suppose i have never been THAT drunk to talk complete bs!
  • Options
    I tend to say my true feelings when im drunk, but then regret it the next day as I either end up upsetting someone or offending them lol!
  • Options
    It can be either with me. Sometimes whilst I'm drunk I tell people things that I don't really want them to know and regret it in the morning. However, a few months back, I told an ex something that was totally untrue and I still till this day, have no idea why I said it.
  • Options
    In Vino Veritas ;)
  • Options
    Depends what they said to you.

Alcohol makes you say things you wouldn't otherwaise say. Sometimes its because its a big deal and you've been scared to whilst sober, and sometimes its because the drink makes people emotional and spout bullpants.
  • Options
    Bit of both...alcohol makes you say your feelings but you over exaggerate with it and you usually end up regretting it.
  • Options
    I've always found drunk people around me to be more honest and open when drunk, It does make people very emotional. But yeah i can see it could be a bit of both, really depends on the person and what they are saying.
  • Options
    It makes me more honest, but I tend to take things the wrong way and get upset when I normally wouldn't. The fact I get told things when I have asked them specifically about it before does not help the situation.
  • Options
    I'm painfuly honest when drunk, i really just can't lie or even bend the truth but contradicting that sort of, i love everyone when i'm drunk and will tell people how great nice they are even of normally when sober they annoy the hell out of me.
  • Options
    Without being specific , if your spouse or significant other says something while totaly drunk , would you tend to think it's the truth or drunken bull shit ? Is alcohol truth serum which gets people to say what they really think but don't have the nerve when their straight ? Or should it be disregarded as psychobabble from an impaired person ?

There will be some element of truth to it, to a varying extent. All depends what exactly they say.
  • Options
    I've told some killer lies when i get drunk. I wake up sometimes and start laughing at what i've said. Such as when i told someone in confidence that i'd accidentally killed this girl, who was at the same party as me :p

Yeah i'm crazy :p
  • Options
    who knows? when im drunk ill either be ridiculously truthful or lie ridiculously!
    then i wake in the mornign to one of my friend's phone calls pointing out everything I said! hehe then I go back on it.
    Best to ask them when they are sober and look at their reactions then etc
  • Options
    people who have met me might understand this

when im drunk im just plain old MrG but in a concentrated quantity