Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A Sound Investment? (motorbike)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive just seen an advert on my lj biker community for a rather nice, rather new, rather good motorbike, for just £700 (approximately in good / average condition it would be worth £1700 private sale). He's just fitted some fairing to it (so add about £200 or more), and in total last year spent about £1200 on it!

However, some things that need doing, it needs a new exhaust system (quoted about £500) and its got a leaky oil valve thingy. Reading up on his LJ he seems to think its cursed or something, as suzuki bikes (with their poor finish) + winter dont seem to go well together.

Would it be worth getting this 'heap of junk' and fixing it up myself? I figured it would best go in this forum. I might not be able to afford the insurance on it, mind you :p

Comments

• Options
    I would wonder why someone who's already spent 1200 on it wanted to get rid of it now?
  • Options
    They're getting a car. I'm a bit dubious about it myself, because it's possibly more expensive than I can afford. Its just demoralising, I've been looking for months and the only bikes I've found were on eBay (not the best source) and have been halfway across the country.
  • Options
    No, motor vehicles are not sound investments, unless you are buying a classic car or bike which is collectable.

Something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. If you own the only car of its type loads will want it; a Suzuki motorbike won't be in that league, and if it was, you wouldn't be able to buy it.

Don't not buy it if you think its worth it, but don't buy it thinking you'll make a profit, because you probably won't.
  • Options
    But there is profit in more sense than money :-) what price would you put on the feeling of having 60bhp between your legs and a power-weight ratio so good that you can accellerate to 120 in 20 seconds (note: these aren't true figures, just a guesstimate)

I've seen one on ebay relatively close to me actually, its the bike I was looking for, is a bit aged which should bring the price down, and looks perfect as it can get for 93. All the stuff I want is already on there, and its even the right colour. Starting bid at £350 and theres already a bidder with 4 days left, so I dont know how I'll fare. If by 2/1 days left I might make a bid :D:D
  • Options
    I don't know about you, but I personally wouldn't want to buy anything that needs work doing to it. Of course, I'd only want to do that if that's what you were planning on buying it for.
  • Options
    But there is profit in more sense than money :-) what price would you put on the feeling of having 60bhp between your legs and a power-weight ratio so good that you can accellerate to 120 in 20 seconds (note: these aren't true figures, just a guesstimate)

I've seen one on ebay relatively close to me actually, its the bike I was looking for, is a bit aged which should bring the price down, and looks perfect as it can get for 93. All the stuff I want is already on there, and its even the right colour. Starting bid at £350 and theres already a bidder with 4 days left, so I dont know how I'll fare. If by 2/1 days left I might make a bid :D:D
    120 on a 125? No chance my son :p
  • Options
    No I meant the bandit I'd seen for sale :p lol. The reason I dont like the 125 is the lack of power, other than that its a great bike!
  • Options
    But there is profit in more sense than money :-)

Yeah, but you can't sell an experience.

Which means its not a good investment. It's a good toy.