Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aol (not really computerish question)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it just me or is there new advert fucking stupid,

Is the internet a bad thing, discuss www.aol.co.uk/discuss

surely.. anyone who thinks the internet is a bad thing wont be fucking using it so surely the only people on there will be people going, "the internet rock"?

or is it just me?

Comments

• Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    Is it just me or is there new advert fucking stupid,

Is the internet a bad thing, discuss www.aol.co.uk/discuss

surely.. anyone who thinks the internet is a bad thing wont be fucking using it so surely the only people on there will be people going, "the internet rock"?

or is it just me?
    Well they've got this compaign running in national newspapers too so people who don't use it will see it anyway.

Also I think they are advertising that a certain level of censorship is a good thing... which is a "benefit" of using aol as opposed to a non-censored service rather than that the internet is good or bad or evil or whatever.
  • Options
    it's just the way the advert on tv is portrayed, it says go discuss it on there website, but people who don't like the net, obviously wont use it??
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    yeah i was saying the same the other day. its a weird ad, coz most of the time theyre trying to sell a product, not tell you to use it to slag it off?! tiddly bit confusing!
  • Options
    aol is a stupid idea.kids need to see life.....its the parents responsibility to tell them whats rite from wrong when asked.
  • Options
    It's just a way of getting people to talk about AOL, that's the bottom line, since it's an advert after all. However I do think it's quite thought-provoking and I've discussed it with quite a few random people I know, so it's having the desired effect.

I know plenty of people who use the internet who don't necessarily think it's a completely good thing with no flaws or glitches, and I don't think all people who don't use the internet necessarily think it's bad. They're presenting the black and white, so we can (hopefully) fill in the grey areas ourselves through discussion. I think.
  • Options
    I like the adverts. There's several different ones... like I walk past one on the way to work which is... 'Does learning about different cultures make us more tolerant?' They're all thought provoking... I like them.
  • Options
    AOL is shit any way.
  • Options
    AOL is the shittest ISP closely followed by BT
  • Options
    so not true, having worked for supanet, i can guarentee they are 100% worse than AOL

ETA; ive been on BT broadband since they started offering it, never had one problem.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned that the adverts provoke thought - well they do. I like that about them (it reminds me of the advert about an ISP that was a huge forum full of people having a discussion - if only the net was actually that cool *sigh*). But as for the service provider, in a word.... diseased. I've never used it but I've seen it in 'action' no wonder they target clueless OAPs and plebians, there's no way a bussines would ever want to use their services.

AOL suxx /agree
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:

Never had any probs with BT since I've been with them which will be 2 years in August.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    Erm, BT are one of the best ISPs.

*Waits for "But 123123 bad things happened to me!"*
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Doofay wrote:
    Erm, BT are one of the best ISPs.

*Waits for "But 123123 bad things happened to me!"*
    They cut him off for writing too much shitty poetry and being overly emo.
  • Options
    Scare tactics to make you go for the safe option i.e. AOL.

AOL = Cunts.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    AOL = Cunts.

So damn true :yes:
  • Options
    the internet isnt a bad thing, its just a medium, its the content you need to be worried about

after all a gun is harmless till you load it and pull the trigger, much the same way that you cant get any online porm on your screen, if you use sensible precautions

censorship is like saying icant have a cheese pasty 'cause your mate dont like them, or is allergic to them
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Some people think AOL is a bad thing.

They'd be right.

Fucking AOL. Burn the bastards. They wanted to be twats, I changed my ISP. Think they can fuck with my connection? Queers.
  • Options
    NTL is the worst ISP :yes:

i have either 1 or 2mb broadband, and most of the time it's slower than our old 56k modem :(

(note to those who are gonna ask, can't change as me mum pays the bills and we don't have a bt phone line. most ISPs will only work through a BT phone line:( )