Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

teachers are the new parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4692776.stm

whatever happened to letting people learn lessons in life the hard way :s

Comments

• Options
    We can be quite confident everything the Government is suggesting is yet more hot air and that none of this will ever happen. This "respect" agenda is nothing more than a sham.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Crap. My teachers at high school wanted to be like that, imagine if it were legal for them too.
  • Options
    Jesus.
    Teachers will also be given the right to confiscate pupils' mobile phones or music players if they hinder learning.

I'd love to know how this works. They can't so this in school currently, nevermid anywhere else.

Obviously the government thinks "respect" means "fear of authority figures". Wankers.
    powers, punish, targeted, "respect" agenda, given the right to confiscate, powers to discipline, legal right to take action, physically restrain pupils, Parents will be forced, strengthen teachers' authority, "Teachers need to be absolutely confident about their authority,", enshrine a teacher's right to discipline pupils in law,

Is it just me who thinks that you don't get respect by using force on people?

Luckily the teachers themnselves aren't so fucking stupid. -
    government diktat will help with behaviour no more than it helps with other issues."
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Crap. My teachers at high school wanted to be like that, imagine if it were legal for them too.

*is in shock* My teachers at high school WERE like that.... we were always told they were responsible for us if we were wearing uniform, and their rules always incorperated that.....

.... It worked out ok for me a couple of times, because without those standards I wouldn't have said anything about a very serious matter. But it's worked against me to. I had no idea they weren't meant to.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well I knew it, and tried to defend some of my classmates (I never had this kind of problem) but that didn't stop them either.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Hmmm. This all just seems a bit extreme IMHO.

Teachers are responsible for the children in their care, on their premisis, between the hours of 9 and 3.30. NOT whilst walking home from school or any other time they are wearing school uniform.

I do agree with the bit that states that pupils who are wearing uniform out of school are ambassadors to the school as that is blatantly obvious. If a parent who doesn't know where to send their child sees a pupil wearing uniform of x school misbehaving then they will possibly consider sending their pupil to school y after seeing a pupil wearing the uniform be polite and helping mrs old lady across the street.

I do hope that this bit:
    Teachers will also be given the right to confiscate pupils' mobile phones or music players if they hinder learning.

is whilst the children are in the class.

In the last school I was working in, the children were not allowed to have their mobile phones, MP3 players etc in the classroom. They were told that if they wanted to keep them then keep them out of sight in their bag etc. However, if they wanted them kept safe the teachers would lock them away and they got them at the end of the day.

I do agree that teachers need more power when it comes to behaviour. Well, perhaps not more power but a clearer indication of what they can and can't do but some of what is being proposed is a bit silly.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4692776.stm

whatever happened to letting people learn lessons in life the hard way :s

My mum works at a school, she says parents expect them to teach their children EVERYTHING. From good manners and how to use a knife and fork to the actual cirriculum.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Obviously the government thinks "respect" means "fear of authority figures".
    "Respect" in this government's case means nothing. How can anyone respect a government that tramples on civil liberties? How can anyone respect a government that took Britain to war in Iraq on the basis of lies? This government cannot talk about respect with any sort of seriousness or credibility.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    "Respect" in this government's case means nothing. How can anyone respect a government that tramples on civil liberties?

Weren't you only about 2 hours ago moaning on about the government being wolly useless liberals?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Weren't you only about 2 hours ago moaning on about the government being woolly useless liberals?
    No, that was just the Home Office. The rest of the government is full of useless... well, just useless people generally.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No, that was just the Home Office. The rest of the government is full of useless... well, just useless people generally.

So the Home Office is all liberal and letting criminals get away with murder and the rest of the government is busy getting rid of civil liberties?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So the Home Office is all liberal and letting criminals get away with murder and the rest of the government is busy getting rid of civil liberties?
    Truth is, the Government doesn't know what it wants. Rival departments are just busily fighting each other, because the lame duck at No. 10 isn't providing the leadership anymore.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Jesus.

I'd love to know how this works. They can't so this in school currently, nevermid anywhere else.

Teachers already confiscate/at ;east threaten to take our stuff away from us if it's causing a distruption. After doing so, we have to wait either until the end of term or until our parents come into collect it. Whether it's the same at at the other school I attend for a few days a week or not, I don't know.
  • Options
    I hope teachers are not the new parents because a friend of mine from newcastle was telling me about her school and the teachers there and considering (she says) it is suppose to be the top school in the county i was shocked at the level of scandal.

Such as;
    an english teacher is having an affair with the head of year who openly brags about it so that several pupils found out where they hook up and witnessed it for themselves.
    Then there is a geography teacher who is married, both white, but has a black baby, is it an IVF accident, nope, she confessed to an affair with an african man that she continues every year on the school trip there to their african sister school and this despite the AIDS risk.
    Also several teachers had to be suspended for investigations into inappropriate relations with pupils.

Basically, teachers should teach, Parents should be parents and society should clean its act up in general!

Wow all that gossip and i finish with a short moral rant. weird!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I hope teachers are not the new parents

Seems that way. The thing is, teachers are only meant to teach us - not to look after us like our parents do...