Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is friendship?

Sometime back in 2004, I remember doing a thread asking "what is love?", which contrary to popular belief was not named after the 1993 Haddaway record. Anyway, I've decided to do a sort of follow-up to this.

The question: what is friendship?

My own reply: In the last year, I've become extremely cynical over this question. I've realised that most people I knew at school and college were users and wasters. Frankly, I'm glad I decided not to stay in touch with any of them. Since then, I've made some real friends. Well, that's what I like to think. I still get the impression some of them are, in a sense, embarrassed by me, or maybe don't really care about me. So, in answer to the question, I'm no closer to finding out today than I was this time last year. :(

Over to you.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    to me, friends are people who i can have a laugh with; who i feel comfortable around. someone i can trust 100% and tell anything to. someone who is there for me and someone who i can be there for too.

yes i have some friends that are better friends to me than others. say for example i don't trust all my friends 100% but they're still friends - i'd just feel more comfortable telling 1 of my best friends something instead of them.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I think i have some friends who i would die for, and i have some that i dont speak to for months on end. a class a friend as someone you can call up and spout off at, cry with, laugh with and even just to go to the pub with. a friend can be anyone you feel you enjoy being around, and spending time with, who you can trust (to an extent!) but most importantly, its someone who can make you smile! :D
  • Options
    someone i know will always be there for me, will tell me the truth even if it's not what i want to here, will make me laugh, someone i can be honest with, can have fun with, can trust etc... and someone who i can do all those things back to as well.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    I think i have some friends who i would die for, and i have some that i dont speak to for months on end. a class a friend as someone you can call up and spout off at, cry with, laugh with and even just to go to the pub with. a friend can be anyone you feel you enjoy being around, and spending time with, who you can trust (to an extent!) but most importantly, its someone who can make you smile! :D

what she said ^

plus they have to feel the same about u. friendship is a two way thing. it doesn't work when it's one sided.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    what she said ^

plus they have to feel the same about u. friendship is a two way thing. it doesn't work when it's one sided.
    Oh god, definately!!
  • Options
    Someone who'll be up for a pint every now and then and who doesn't fuck my girlfriend!

Can't stress the importance of that last bit enough :p
  • Options
    also someone who i can not talk to/see for a few weeks/months but when i do see them we get along really well straight away and it's like i saw them the day before.
  • Options
    yes, everything lucifer said :)
  • Options
    To me it's:
    * Someone I can have a laugh with - but neither of us takes it too far
    *Someone I can talk to about near enough anything with
    *Someone who cares about me and what happens to me
    *someone I know I can talk to and won't go around telling everyone about it, and going behind my back telling everyone stuff about me
  • Options
    On the same wavelegnth
    Never acts like the friendship is a competition
    never betrays
    trustworthy
    always there when i need them
    deosnt forget my existance when he/she gets a bf/gf
    can make me smile laugh and vice verser
    will always give an honest opinion if i ask for advice
    will help me stumble home when drunk
    can enjoy their company even if we're not doing anything
    can chat for hours

Thats just a few criteria for friends of mine
  • Options
    To me it is just someone that is there for you in good and bad moments as well as someone that have respect for you/family/partner.
  • Options
    "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."
    C. S. Lewis

My truest, best, most wonderful friend wrote that in my Christmas card this year. I :heart:ed it.
  • Options
    A friend to me is someone you can sit away and have the craic but at the same time, can sit in silence and be totally normal, not having awkward silences like.
  • Options
    90% of people in your life are aquaintances... 10% are friends.
  • Options
    someone who: cares about you, is there for you when you need them, you can tell anything to, respects your feelings and decisions, is on the same wavelength, you can have a laugh with, you can do nothing with or go anywhere with!, you enjoy spending time with.

obviously this applies to both sides of the friendship!!!
  • Options
    To me it is just someone that is there for you in good and bad moments as well as someone that have respect for you/family/partner.
    seconded.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Someone who'll be up for a pint every now and then and who doesn't fuck my girlfriend!

Can't stress the importance of that last bit enough :p
    LOL, post of the week?
  • Options
    LOL, post of the week?
    :love::p
  • Options
    Somewho you can laugh with, cry with, bitch with, go out with, not to anything and still be happy. You have to have some level of trust and respect for each other, and if you dont see each other for a while, when you do meet up its like you havent not seen each other.
  • Options
    i think friendship is just like water...
    in summer ice will cool you...
    in winter hot shower will make your energetic...