Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Web Hosting Help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right my lovely dudes n lasses im after some advice.

Im a major beginner in the world of the internet and web hosting. I am trying to build myself a website, to show off my photography work as I progress. I have been looking at web hosting but have absolutely no idea about all the numbers and figures webspace, bandwidth, download limit etc.

Could anyone shed light on what these mean in a simple basic way? Or does anyone know cheap easy to use websites?

Comments

• Options
    With web hosting, 9 times out of 10 you'll get what you pay for. There is the budget end of the market, with places like WebMania for around £25 per year. Uptime can vary quite a lot from month to month, they don't do backups of your data, they'll not refund if the site is down for more than xxx minutes per month, etc, etc. If all you want is a cheap, no-frills provider for email and a casual website, then you'll probably not go far wrong with someone at this end of the market.

Move up the ladder a step or two and you have places like HostingHTML. Much better support, a slightly more personal feel, etc, etc. Its a smaller company so they'll work harder to keep you happy - you're not just a number. However, for a dossy little site for a blog, bit of a gallery, etc, etc, it may be a bit overkill for what you're after.

The options above this are almost certainly overkill, so I'll leave that for another time.

I guess you have to work out for yourself what you'd like to pay, and the level of service you'd like to receive. When everything is working, then the cheap places are hard to beat. When there is a problem, no amount of money saved will stop you stamping your feet ;).

Bandwidth is the amount of data transferred. In loose terms - these won't be accurate but they won't be too far off the mark - if you have a 250kb photograph on your site, and that picture is viewed by 4 people in a month, then your monthly bandwidth will be around 1mb. 40 views per month would make it 10mb, 400 vews would be 100mb. 10 pictures, each viewed an average of 400 times per month, would be 1gb.

It isn't quite this accurate, as photographs vary in size depending on the quality of the shot. Email received and sent will also - generally - count toward your bandwidth allowance. There are also certain minor overheads with each web page request, so rather than getting 400 views of a 250kb photograph per month, you'd get around 395, plus some average email and whatnot.

Other things that most people consider important with hosting are whether or not you have access to a database, scripting languages, whether you get access to your own control panel where you can set databases and email addresses up, etc, etc. Unless you're going to be making use of these facilities, I'd not worry too much about them.

As this is your first effort on the internet, you could always consider using some free webspace - either from somewhere online that'll give you rather limited space in exchange for adverts on the page, or the free space most ISP's throw in with your internet connection - it'll give you an area t oget some practice done, and give you time to figure out what kind of space and bandwidth you'll be looking for :).
  • Options
    Right my lovely dudes n lasses im after some advice.

Im a major beginner in the world of the internet and web hosting. I am trying to build myself a website, to show off my photography work as I progress. I have been looking at web hosting but have absolutely no idea about all the numbers and figures webspace, bandwidth, download limit etc.

Could anyone shed light on what these mean in a simple basic way? Or does anyone know cheap easy to use websites?

What size is your website?

Cos might be able to provide you with free hosting depending on your needs.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If you just want somewhere to show off your photos then you could try fotopic.net. If you want webspace, I am not sure where to get it from but I do know that you can use pixelpost as a template gallery. They have loads of good ones for a photoblog.
  • Options
    What size is your website?

Cos might be able to provide you with free hosting depending on your needs.

In answer to that. Im simply looking for somewhere to host my photographs, but a site that will look proffesional with my own designing, with help from a friend for graphics. It will simply be a place for my photographs. But I want some webspace for it and preferably my own domain for proffesional look as its also going to help my college applications.

Thanks to click to see more for those details.
  • Options
    In answer to that. Im simply looking for somewhere to host my photographs, but a site that will look proffesional with my own designing, with help from a friend for graphics. It will simply be a place for my photographs. But I want some webspace for it and preferably my own domain for proffesional look as its also going to help my college applications.

Thanks to click to see more for those details.

Can host a domain that's no worry. You'll need to buy the domain tho.
    Can host your emails as well finishing by @yourdoamin.com.
    Can even provide you with a website template I used for mine ..
    You can obviously change colors
    as well as gfx to change the look. Got full admin in the back to add/edit/remove pages in each section as well as changing the banner for each page.
    Will not ask anything in exchange guarantee. Worse case scenario if I one day I can not afford my server anymore you will have to change host bu it is very unlikely to happen.