Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sending a letter abroad...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
SUP

I have a letter to send abroad (Sweden) but i have no idea how to go about sending it.

Is it as simple as taking the letter (in an envelope with the address on it obviously) to the post office and saying "i'd like to send this to sweden please" and then paying the appropriate charge/s?

Or is it more complicated than that?

thanks

Jake

Comments

• Options
    jake0 wrote:
    Is it as simple as taking the letter (in an envelope with the address on it obviously) to the post office and saying "i'd like to send this to sweden please" and then paying the appropriate charge/s?

Just that easy.
  • Options
    Just go into your post office and ask for a stamp for the place where you want to send it to, and then just pop it in the post box like normal letters.
    Well that's what i always do anyway and everyone seems to get my mail :thumb:
  • Options
    Have you never sent a letter abroad before?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Have you never sent a letter abroad before?

no i havnt! ;O

And thanks for the replies people.
  • Options
    jake0 wrote:
    I have a letter to send abroad (Sweden) but i have no idea how to go about sending it. Is it as simple as taking the letter (in an envelope with the address on it obviously) to the post office and saying "i'd like to send this to sweden please" and then paying the appropriate charge/s? Or is it more complicated than that?
    Go to the post office, tell them you want to send it to Sweden. At that point, they usually weigh the letter. If it's just an ordinary letter though, they'll just charge the normal rate.
  • Options
    jake0 wrote:
    no i havnt! ;O.

I dont mean to be harsh, but that really surprises me. You lot live in different World I think, maybe its my age catching up with me.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont mean to be harsh, but that really surprises me. You lot live in different World I think, maybe its my age catching up with me.

But what with the internet and Email sending "mail" to other countries must be on the decline.
  • Options
    But what with the internet and Email sending "mail" to other countries must be on the decline.

I suppose you are right, still, its a shame really emails are crap really when compared to a proper letter.
  • Options
    I dont think its that shocking to have never sent a letter to another country. I think it would be very common. I can't picture everybody knowing somebody to the point of letter writing when they live countries away.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I suppose you are right, still, its a shame really emails are crap really when compared to a proper letter.

Nothing compares to a hand written letter. They feel alot more personal. And you can do little doodles on them.

:)
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

are we all expected to know people who live abroad then?
  • Options
    Some of my Christmas cards go abroad.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ive not posted a letter abroad since i was little and that was to Austrailia, i dont know anyone abroad now. which is quite sad, :(
  • Options
    jake0 wrote:
    SUP

I have a letter to send abroad (Sweden) but i have no idea how to go about sending it.

Or is it more complicated than that?

thanks

Jake
    There are three different pricing zones for "abroad"- Europe, World Zone 1 and World Zone 2. But you don't even need to know which applies if you go to the post office- you just tell them the country and they will tell you.

For sending a letter it is very simple as there is no paperwork to do (sending a parcel is a tad more complicated as you have to do a short form for customs outside of Europe- sending even mildly dangerous things such as chemicals is very complicated, especially to the USA).

When I was 18 and in my first serious job I had to send some chemicals to Sweden and there were different forms for European destinations verses the rest of the world. I got confused as I didn't know if Sweden was in Europe or not! :blush: I had to ask my boss (despite having been on holiday to Sweden some years before). When I left the company they bought me a really nice World Atlas as part of my leaving gift.
  • Options
    Nothing compares to a hand written letter. They feel alot more personal. And you can do little doodles on them.

:)

Exactly, its a dying art, emails really are crap and they foster a very sloppy form of communication. Society really is falling down a moral vacuum.
  • Options
    We send a Christmas card to my dad's cousin in Chicago every year.
  • Options
    I used to have penfriends in Sweden and Germany, but lost contact a while ago.

Thing is, since i've used computers so much, my handwriting has turned to crap now :(
  • Options
    Stick 42p on and hope for the best. Or that's what i always end up doing ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The only reason I've ever sent a message to another country is because my brother lives in London and you can't send items through email. I just used a machine that weighted the package, asked me where I wanted to send it and printed the correct stamp. Handy!