Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hair Extensions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How much (roughly) do they cost and do they wreck your hair?!

Comments

• Options
    Might this be a tad more suited to the Style section?
  • Options
    spend as much as you can afford, cheap jobs look exactly that, CHEAP. i think they look a right mess if they aint done properly..
  • Options
    Quite possibly yes, I wasnt aware there was one, sorry
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You can move it yourslef you know?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hair extensions, if we're talking about a full head of hair, is expensive if you want it to look as natural as possible (which, is unlikely because all extensions look unnatural imo). To have a full head can cost anything above £200+ depending on the length of your hair and the length you want.
    It can damage your existing hair - I mean, you're glueing bits of hair onto your roots - how's it not going to do damage?

If you want my advice, don't. Hair looks far more natural when just that, natural. Hair extensions can look extremely false if not done properly.
    Plus, they don't last long, about 4 months at a push.

I've had extensions before, a few times actually and some were done well, and others were, well awful. (I had only a about 12 'strands' put in, in wacky colours like pink and purple) - they're good if you just want a temporary crazy moment. But they do end up pulling out a clump of hair when the glue starts to disintegrate.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Thanks, thats really helped.

My hairs already quite damaged from being blonde and straightening all summer. Thought if i had hair extensions i'd be able to tie it up (as its very layerd at the min and so bits are too short) and then save it from the straightening, but sounds like that would be worse for it than just carrying on as I am.

Thanks again x
  • Options
    My pleasure, glad to be of some use :thumb:

Ilora x
  • Options
    You know a lot of the real hair for extentions comes from dodgy places, Russian prisoners for example.

And wearing extentions for long periods will damage your hair and actually make it thin out.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    You know a lot of the real hair for extentions comes from dodgy places, Russian prisoners for example..

:yes: or developing countries.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    :yes: or developing countries.

Or tramps, or dead people.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Nice. How do you pick up all these fascinating ethical titbits mr budda?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Or tramps, or dead people.

dead people, really? I always thought that poor people sold their hair, i didn't know they lopped it of dead people :eek2:
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Nice. How do you pick up all these fascinating ethical titbits mr budda?

Well I dont know about the tramps/dead people option, but the Russian prisoners is definately true, Ms. Posh had hers from there.
  • Options
    I'm getting clip-in real ones for my prom in June, cos I doubt my hair will be a decent length by then. They're about £55 on ebay for 20", and you can take them out, style them, dye them, re-use them etc.. I've been told they can last for years, with proper care.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I'm getting clip-in real ones for my prom in June, cos I doubt my hair will be a decent length by then. They're about £55 on ebay for 20", and you can take them out, style them, dye them, re-use them etc.. I've been told they can last for years, with proper care.
    If you have a Salon Services near you, you can get them in there for £35.
  • Options
    If you have a Salon Services near you, you can get them in there for £35.

Yeah.. I found some others on ebay, though, for £29 + £3.50 postage. Should be arriving around monday/tuesday. So excited!