Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trouble Breathing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I've been having this problem for quite a while now....I find it really hard to breath, I feel like I'm catching my breath all the time. I also get a lot of pins and needles from time to time because of it and the odd panic attack from it. Now I've quit smoking daily but I smoke when I'm drunk, I'm certain the two are related...anyone know what this is, is it serious? Oh and I'm definately quitting the fags.

I'm also off the drugs if anyone was going to bring that aspect in.

Comments

• Options
    Have you had asthma as a child?

You can certainly get pins and needles type sensations from hyperventilating (breathing too fast). Do you have the panic attack as a result of not being able to breathe or is it one and same thing?

Probably best getting an appointment with your GP.
  • Options
    when it happens cup your hands over your nose and mouth and spend two minutes breathing very short and fast in and out ...no fresh air getting in.
    the carbon dioxide will calm you down.
  • Options
    are u stressed at the moment? i get this all the time when i'm stressed from an ongoing problem, usually exams or money worries. i recognise it as stress now so it doesn't worry me as much but it used to really scare me
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Have you had asthma as a child?

You can certainly get pins and needles type sensations from hyperventilating (breathing too fast). Do you have the panic attack as a result of not being able to breathe or is it one and same thing?

Probably best getting an appointment with your GP.

No history of asthma as a child.

Yeh methinks I will visit the GP.

I am quite stressed at the moment but surely that doesn't account for the shortness of breath.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yeh methinks I will visit the GP.
    :yes:

Do you exercise?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    :yes:

Do you exercise?

Nope, but I've been doing a bit of sport this past few days...it might help.
  • Options
    When I got that it was Chronic Hyperventilation, which is apparently quite common, your breathing pattern would need to be set right. Obviously, standard reply, get thee to a GP!
  • Options
    I find this interesting. I was treated for panic/anxiety disorder a couple years ago and I've been doing fine until recently. I've noticed weird things going on with my body and I've had a couple of panic attacks because of them.

I was prescribed some anti-biotics in mid-January that caused me to have a variety of symptoms, from vivid nightmares to increased anxiety, to dyspnea.

I think that may be what is going on here. Dyspnea is a very strange thing and effects a wide range of people (much like sleep paralysis). Here are a couple of links:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/morgan.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyspnea

I hope that helps. I have some ailments I have to figure out for myself.
  • Options
    I'm 99% sure it's Atelectasis...got that from your link Junker.

Cheers guys.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I'm 99% sure it's Atelectasis...got that from your link Junker.

a collapsed lung?

:eek2:
  • Options
    Don't bother looking up anything on the Internet because you'll end up thinking you got every lung disease going!

Do you get a pressure type feeling just below your chest?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    a collapsed lung?

:eek2:

Well I got the symptoms.

Felix-it's hard to explain but basically when I breath it doesn't feel like I'm taking in a full breath and when I exhale, I automatically feel the need to breath again.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Well I got the symptoms.

Felix-it's hard to explain but basically when I breath it doesn't feel like I'm taking in a full breath and when I exhale, I automatically feel the need to breath again.

Yeah I say definately go to a GP.

I had a similar thing a few years ago and they found out that it was an allergic reaction.

Whatever you do just don't panic, go get it checked out n you'll be great.

:wave:
  • Options
    Any pain on inhalation?

Does your chest rise and fall evenly?

Goto your docs.
  • Options
    No pain...it falls more than it rises.
  • Options
    go get it checked by the doc, it not normal so needs to be checked tbh and peeps here aint qualified to offer advice in this department.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    go get it checked by the doc, it not normal so needs to be checked tbh and peeps here aint qualified to offer advice in this department.

Most people have also said go to the doctors, the tone of your post kinda feels like you're telling us off.

P.S. I know its hard to tell someones tone in a post so appologies if you weren't.
  • Options
    myhumps wrote:

P.S. I know its hard to tell someones tone in a post so appologies if you weren't.

Nah, I wasnt having a go.....no not at all. Most peeps know me here and I think they would have known that I was genuinely agreeing with them and confirming to turlough to get it checked out.
  • Options
    Okely dokely

see tone in posts/texts are so hard to read, my bad. :blush:
  • Options
    myhumps wrote:
    see tone in posts/texts are so hard to read

Aye, I totally agree...at least we sorted it out amicably (spelling ?) tho eh :D
  • Options
    Yeah it'll be handbags at dawn next time! lol :)