Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dumbing down of tradiotnally harder subjects revelaed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4682548.stm

what is the point making it cater to the lowest denominator :s

Comments

• Options
    Makes the Government look good. Remember what they did with GCSE Latin?
  • Options
    i love this comment
    "Boys were more likely to value it as a useful A-level subject and girls to be concerned whether they could cope, researchers said. "

not sure if its a good or bad thing either way :s
  • Options
    Exams and education shoulod be harder, pushing everyone to their limits...not pan handling to lazy kids who dont try! the harder the better, push them more! Go Education!
  • Options
    I notice there's been some dumbing down concerning the spelling of this thread's title.

Anyway, Maths is one of the most important subjects there is. And not just for mathematicians, scientists, engineers and the like. Everyone needs it in their daily lives. But not everyone goes onto A-Level Maths, true. It needs to be a tough exam that allows the best of the best to shine through. That is why I fervently oppose the changes.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I notice there's been some dumbing down concerning the spelling of this thread's title.

Anyway, Maths is one of the most important subjects there is. And not just for mathematicians, scientists, engineers and the like. Everyone needs it in their daily lives. But not everyone goes onto A-Level Maths, true. It needs to be a tough exam that allows the best of the best to shine through. That is why I fervently oppose the changes.

Maths is not one of the most important subjects. Most people only need to know how to add, subtract, multiply and divide to live their lives. Engineers and Scientests make up a very small percentage of society. Who gives a fuck anyway...you can spot the people who are going to do Maths from a very young age anyway...no point trying to make it more attractive when people aren't going to do it anyway.
  • Options
    There are in fact a very large number of subjects at university that require good levels of maths.

Pretty much all the pure sciences, maths itself, geography, economics, sociology, engineering of any kind, architecture, statisitcs etc etc
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Exams and education shoulod be harder, pushing everyone to their limits...not pan handling to lazy kids who dont try! the harder the better, push them more! Go Education!

Depeding on the exam board, some exams are very hard. I only know this after a chat with the head of 6th form/biology teacher.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Do you have an A-level in maths?

I personally found maths to be far harder than my other subjects. I had to spend about twice as long on maths per day to get a grade B than other on chemistry and physics both of which I got an A in. But it has been really useful for me and I done regret it one bit (even though it was pretty stressful at the time).

Few people use the content learnt in A-Level maths but many benefit from the mathematical competence and skills developed throughout the course.

On average people with A-level maths earn 10% more in their lifetime than people with other subjects at A-level.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I personally found maths to be far harder than my other subjects.

Same here. Despite Law not being studied at GCSE and getting a lower grade for Science at GCSE. (Only doing Biology; not Physics or Chemistry) I even found the Foundations of Advanced Maths course hard...
  • Options
    Actually my post was about GCSE level not A-Level...A-Level Maths, though i didnt take it was devestating to lots of my friends in the 6th form!