Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Website Layouts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know any good places to get some?

Ive tryed making my own in Photoshop cs2 but im not the best with that program so i give up.

Any ideas :wave:

Comments

• Options
    Take it the answer to this thread is a no... :eek2:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Patience is a virtue innit! ;)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yeah. Either learn to code by hand in Notepad or whatever, or buy a copy of Dreamweaver. Never use a generic site - they look pants.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think it depends, doesn't it? What sort of website do you want? A blog? Or something else? Are you prepared to pay for it?
  • Options
    What do you mean by layouts anyway. Photoshop is just a graphics creation package, it wont lay out your pages. (Unless there's some odd functionality in there that makes a massive graphical web page)
  • Options
    What's the website for?
    Personal website?
  • Options
    Well i already have the following programs :razz:

*Adobe photoshop CS2
    *DreamWeaver 8
    *Flash 8
    *Microsoft Frontpage 2003

So i have pretty much everything! :shocking:

The type of website im making is sort of just a general Teen site with chat box games, pictures, problem form, ect

I already do have hosting from a friend and you can vist the current site i have at Here

Ive done all of this in frontpage, so im not the coding type :angel:

+ Im only 14 :yum:
  • Options
    That site is well broken in Firefox. I'm also missing a plugin for the menu on the left hand side, and right click has not been disabled. Why bother trying to disable it anyway?

No offence, but you may well find it more useful to concentrate on learning HTML than attempting to use fancy programs. If it were me I'd get the basics set out in Dreamweaver, and finish it off by tweaking by hand in notepad.

Also, always make sure that your site works correctly in all popular browsers. At the very least, aim for IE, Firefox and Opera.

Flash and Frontpage stink.
  • Options
    Although I have to agree with the 'FLash Sucks'. Please find this amusing
  • Options
    You are also free to chortle out loud at this sleekness
  • Options
    I refuse point-blank to have Flash installed on my machine. I grew slightly irritated with it when everyone and their dog started writing menus in it - I grew mighty piddled off when adverts started using it, and I ditched it vowing never to touch it again when the adverts started having sounds!

So I miss out on all the good animations. Hmm... nose, face, off and cut methinks.
  • Options
    Gimmie an idea of what you want and I will knock one up in Photoshop if I get time.
  • Options
    I refuse point-blank to have Flash installed on my machine. I grew slightly irritated with it when everyone and their dog started writing menus in it - I grew mighty piddled off when adverts started using it, and I ditched it vowing never to touch it again when the adverts started having sounds!

So I miss out on all the good animations. Hmm... nose, face, off and cut methinks.

I had a uni module that was to create a website including the navigation :banghead: in Flash- like wwwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyy?????????????????? GRRRRRRRR
  • Options
    Well in regards to the flash thing - I dont care really, i like flash!

Felix - Well its hard to describe but a area at the top for a banner Under it moving Marquee thing then menu, And a box under for the news ect.

If you go to Here

Something like this but with out the Good Morning/ Evening.

Cheers.

P.s If you have your screen set on 1024 by 768 pixels. it looks fine. Thats why im going for something smaller like the link i posted above.
  • Options
    What colours?
  • Options
    Light blue like the following Colour Code: #3399FF
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Well in regards to the flash thing - I dont care really, i like flash!

Dude a word of advice from an ex professional web designer.

Flash is, granted, an incredibly powerful tool that has the potential for so much functionality in your website.

However, the temptation is to use it just for the sake of using it. This is why I never use flash in my sites. Simply because unless you have a proper application to put it in, there's no point in using it.

The menu on your site for example - there really is no need to use Flash. All it does is slows down the site and makes it look tacky as it has the Flashbuttons.com thing on the bottom of it. Take a look at the menu for the British/Ecuadorian Chamber of Commerce here and you'll see that a DHTML menu looks and works a hell of a lot better plus it loads in a fraction of a second - good for those with slow connections and Flash and slow connections do not go well.

Thus my advice is the following. For the intro and the games, fine, Flash is ok there. But don't overdo it because the result will just be tacky. Don't use it just for the sake of putting it in going "look at me, I can do Flash". The real skill with Flash is knowing when and where to put it in.
  • Options
    oo i get you thats why im going to go do something simple like the website i quoted in a recent post.

Thanks for your help Wonders if Ex pro website designer would help me... :naughty:
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I had a uni module that was to create a website including the navigation :banghead: in Flash- like wwwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyy?????????????????? GRRRRRRRR

Yes, I did Design for Multimedia at Wolverhampton Uni 4 years ago. Unfortunately most of the lectrurers came from a traditional graphic design background and loved Flashturbation and had no idea about useability.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Wonders if Ex pro website designer would help me... :naughty:

Wonders how much money CoolMe has...
  • Options
    Bugga!! Hmmm Wonder if could be a freebie :chin:
  • Options
    And please convince me why I should do it for free?

I may be a struggling student but even a whore charges.
  • Options

Fair enough point, i shall leave it.

Thanks anyway
  • Options

out of curiosity, got a portfolio ?
  • Options
    i'm mainly using Dreamweaver MX to code mine. been teaching myself web design. to just make a basic "hey this is me" type website, i'm sure nobody will want ot look at it,but want to do it for myself more than anything.

But now work want me to build them a site for our office and we all think that the main company site is a load of bollocks (and it is) so they've sent me on a college course after work to learn it quicker