Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Old people get free buses but no buses to use them on

...because the PTA in these parts can't afford to pay the free bus travel and pay for the loss-making routes used exclusively by pensioners.

Young people and students will also lose all discounts to fund this ridiculous measure.

Story.

Yet again politicians show who really matter to them- the old codgers mafia that runs this country. All young people are seen as ASBO kids, and now they can't even afford to go anywhere other than street corners because cheap fares will be hiked or abolished. Student fares will be doubled, pricing poor people out of college because they won't be able to sodding get there.

And they want people on public transport. It'd be cheaper to buy a Lear jet at this rate.

Symptomatic of everything wrong with this country, non?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Let the old people have their half price buses, and let us have half price taxis instead. Surely the government would want the blood on their hands if a young girl murdered because she was forced to walk home after a night out because she couldn't afford a taxi now, would they? :D
  • Options
    Surely the government would want the blood on their hands if a young girl murdered because she was forced to walk home after a night out because she couldn't afford a taxi now, would they :D

Of course they would. It gives them yet another excuse to grab more power.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    ...because the PTA in these parts can't afford to pay the free bus travel and pay for the loss-making routes used exclusively by pensioners. Young people and students will also lose all discounts to fund this ridiculous measure.
    Hang on, am I the only one who's noticed a discrepancy here? Kermit, earlier this week, you started a thread about National Rail's plans to "massacre" the rail network, basically to get rid of loss-making routes. Yet, at the same time, loss-making bus routes get to carry on. This makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    I see you didn't read the other thread then.

The PTA are having to CUT the loss-making routes in order to pay for the free bus passes. Hence the thread title- old people will have free bus travel, but the nearest bus will be a mile away because the local hopper will have been axed. Or the rural bus will have been axed.

Loss-making routes should be kept open unless nobody uses them. Most subsidised routes around here are through housing estates, and all the customers have concessionary fares- the bus hasn't got any commercial passengers on it. So the concessionary fare will be cheaper, but the bus through the estate will be no more, as the PTA won't pay for it and the private bus operator will lose a huge wedge by running it.
  • Options
    First chance to buy a car i had, i took! Public Transport in this country is a fucking joke!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fucking disgraceful plans. Apparantely Metro can't afford to pay for it either, yet they seem happy to contribute for 6 extra 158's?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Public Transport in this country is a fucking joke!

This is why I walk everywhere when possible...
  • Options
    This is why I walk everywhere when possible...
    Walking isn't really possible if you live in rural Northumberland and want to get into town.

The government (local or national) should not expect to get away with simultaneously making driving and parking more expensive whilst forcing people into their cars because the public transport alternatives are limited through lack of proper subsidy.

The marginal cost of driving is only just more than public transport as it is. Without subsidies, there will be no financial incentive to get on a bus and the only reason to do so will be altruism.
  • Options
    The bus fares in Sheffield went up about 4 times in one year. Now the company has said they'll keep them fixed, "as long as the economic situation remains the same". Which basically means sweet FA.
  • Options
    Public transport is going down the drain. Newport Transport raised the bus fare last year, and then made my bus into town less frequent - so now it's more likely that the bus won't be able stop for me because it's too full. I thought we were supposed to get a better service for paying more! :grump:
  • Options
    The bus fares in Sheffield went up about 4 times in one year. Now the company has said they'll keep them fixed, "as long as the economic situation remains the same". Which basically means sweet FA.

That's FirstGroup for you.

But the cost of petrol has shot up, and bus firms have to pay that too. regardless of who ran the bus, the fare increases would have happened. Metro's fares have gone up three times recently, and that's a government-operated system.

The only reason I travel by bus is because the thieving council charge so much for parking. Even then, its only marginally cheaper to go by bus. And my car doesn't have people with BO problems and toddlers in it.