Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

extended breastfeeding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
did anyone watch this a few days ago? any thoughts? :eek2:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I dont know.

I dont have a problem with toddlers being breastfed to a certain extent but the 7 year old I found a bit off, and then the mother put the icing on the cake by saying something like "oh yeah, baby on one boob, husband on the other".

The guy in the shopping centre was the best "they shouldnt do it in public because the pedophiliacs will get strange feelings". I was quite shocked by the attitudes of the shoppers in Tesco, especially the women. And the young guy "it's indecent for a woman to display her breasts in public". Im sure he wouldnt complain if it was a page 3 chick handing out beer.

I breastfed Abbie for 7 weeks, I'd have liked to have done it longer but it was physically and mentally draining me, we're both happier now she's bottle fed but Im still a bit disappointed with myself for only managing to give her 7 weeks of breastmilk. In those whole 7 weeks I didnt do it in public, that was more cos I was embarassed of my baby jelly belly though.
  • Options
    i havent seen it because i havent got a telly, but ive known several people whove breastfed their children until the child wanted to stop themself, usually at about 3 years old.
    I dont actually have a problem with it, as it still has health benefits, and the WHO guidelines is to breastfeed up till 2 I think (although obviously not exclusively - by that age it would probably be one feed a day or something at night).
    I wouldnt fancy it myself. I only breastfed for 6 months, but I wanted to do it for a year, and thats what id aim for next time.
  • Options
    I dont actually have a problem with it, as it still has health benefits, and the WHO guidelines is to breastfeed up till 2 I think (although obviously not exclusively - by that age it would probably be one feed a day or something at night).
    There was a woman tandem feeding 2 year old twins as regularly as every half an hour!
  • Options
    I only saw the very last bit but, why was that women feeding with a spoon? :lol:
  • Options
    I thought it was called extraoridnary breastfeeding.
  • Options
    Ahh this makes me think of Little Britain...BITTY !! :sour:
  • Options
    I only saw the very last bit but, why was that women feeding with a spoon? :lol:
    Cos the baby she was feeding was her new adopted baby, she wanted to breast feed her but because she'd been bottle fed from birth she didnt take to the breast.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Rachael wrote:
    Ahh this makes me think of Little Britain...BITTY !! :sour:

:D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The guy in the shopping centre was the best "they shouldnt do it in public because the pedophiliacs will get strange feelings".

What was most amusing/shocking about his comment was that he said 'paedofiddliers' which made me laugh out loud because it's so apt and he said it so seriously as well.
  • Options
    Didn't actually see the program but saw two of the women doing an interview on Richard and Judy...I'm sure there are immense benefits for the child but I have only one word for them...FREAKS!
  • Options
    The only freaky bit was the woman who breastfed her children till they were 8 years old, she was the one who's husbnd had a go and all. That was definitely a weird family.
  • Options
    I was appalled at that breastfeeding programme. I think it's totally perverse having an 8 year old child asking to suck her mother's breast for milk. Vile.
    The whole programme made me extremely uncomfortable.

Ilora x
  • Options
    What was most amusing/shocking about his comment was that he said 'paedofiddliers' which made me laugh out loud because it's so apt and he said it so seriously as well.
    I thought he said pedophilliacs, paedofiddliers is funnier though you're right.
  • Options
    I think it should be the new word for it actually!
  • Options
    Personally i think anything after 2-2 1/2 is too old but thats just my thought.
    As for a 7/8 year old i thought that was wrong. She even said she wanted to suck even though there was no milk coming out. :/
  • Options
    I don't have children and so my only experience of it is when my siblings were babies, but I think I would do it until they were weaned, after that it's not really necessary is it? (Feel free to correct me!) I think it's a bit weird if the kids know what they are doing. There is a woman in my street who my mum's friends with and she is still breastfeeding her son who is 3 1/2 which I think is too old by far. I dunno.

Funniest quote of the programme: "I'd rather have breastmilk than a million melons" :D
  • Options
    Funniest quote of the programme: "I'd rather have breastmilk than a million melons" :D
    Haha I know!

Personally, if I was still doing it then I think I'd stop breastfeeding when Abbie got teeth, knowing my luck she'd bite the poor bugger off :(
  • Options
    Ouch! It must really hurt when they bite!
    I remember reading somewhere that if you become pregnant while still breastfeeding a baby, at some point in the pregnancy the milk changes (probably producing colostrum rather than actual milk) and the baby doesn't like the taste, and so stops feeding. It's kind of nature's way of reducing the stress on the mother's body.
  • Options
    Cos the baby she was feeding was her new adopted baby, she wanted to breast feed her but because she'd been bottle fed from birth she didnt take to the breast.

Oooooooooooh
  • Options
    I breastfed Abbie for 7 weeks, I'd have liked to have done it longer but it was physically and mentally draining me, we're both happier now she's bottle fed but Im still a bit disappointed with myself for only managing to give her 7 weeks of breastmilk.
    That's still a really good achievement and more than lots of baby's get. You shouldn't feel bad about it.
  • Options
    The 8 year old girl really did creep me out a bit, and the fact that her and her sister drew pictures of their mums boobs and babies sucking on them on stuff, i do wonder what their friends at school must think really.
  • Options
    i think the 8 year old is really not a typical example of extended breastfeeding. it sounds a bit like theyve got issues and you should be careful not to judge something like extended breastfeeding on the basis of a weird extreme example.