Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the "R" word

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
religion.......never been religious in any way,in fact i hate the whole concept of religion.i think that i respect the beliefs of others,but do i?? when i disagree so much with religious extremists?

Comments

• Options
    respecting someones ideals and respecting someones actions because of those ideals are two completely separate things.

I respect the beliefs of people being muslim, believing in allah, mohammed etc

I do not respect extremists. In these cases I think religion is used as an excuse for extremism, and a tool for mean (but fairly intelligent people) to manipulate the masses into doing their bidding, ie suicide bombings
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Replicant wrote:
    respecting someones ideals and respecting someones actions because of those ideals are two completely separate things.

I respect the beliefs of people being muslim, believing in allah, mohammed etc

I do not respect extremists. In these cases I think religion is used as an excuse for extremism, and a tool for mean (but fairly intelligent people) to manipulate the masses into doing their bidding, ie suicide bombings

Quite. However, Religion is a form of control anyway... especially in these Arabic states or the US... its scary how well it is used.
  • Options
    are we to asume that all those people in london are all extremists?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    are we to asume that all those people in london are all extremists?

of course not, they are probably a poorly educated minority - you just need to look to what the vast majority of the preachers (or whatever the proper name for leaders of islam prayer) say every time; they completely disagree and disown terrorist acts, as murder is not something taught in the Koran.

& I would agree, religion is a form of control :yes:
  • Options
    "control" is all i see with religion in general....and its scary to see so many followers with a hatefull mindset.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    "control" is all i see with religion in general....and its scary to see so many followers with a hatefull mindset.

I completely agree :yes:

but then any set of beliefs, even not under the name of "religion", (although this is usually the case) will lead to meeting people opposed to those beliefs. and there will always be people who are willing to take things too far to get others to agree with their point of view.

thankfully, more educated&rational people are likely work these differences out peacefully.
  • Options
  • Options

good link :)

I like what Einstein said: "I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern without any superhuman authority behind it."
  • Options
    Very good link! Interesting indeed. :)
  • Options
    ive often thought that religion was born through scared minds,needing to believe in something.which is fine on the face of it,but got corrupted along the way.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    ive often thought that religion was born through scared minds,needing to believe in something.which is fine on the face of it,but got corrupted along the way.

Quite. Some people need something they can beleive is true, in a world of uncertain things. Something they can accept as a "fact". And be told it is so.

Like when I was a child I never went anywhere without my cudly rooster. :blush: Aww... I loved it so.
  • Options
    I don't think that I respect the beliefs of certain religious groups. In fact, I find some of them laughable and completely without reason (I'll let you guess which ones). However, I do respect the individual's rights to have their beliefs, and that's what's important.

I think religion is mainly about people imposing their beliefs on another, which I don't think is respecting a persons right to their own beliefs. Otherwise, why the need for religion? Surely we could just have open debate about our personal views on something?
  • Options
    theres no need to respect someones ideas, toleratiing someones ideas i dont mind cause i believe in freedom of speech and belief, but other a big nil pois
  • Options
    I'd call myself spiritual at present? Not one of those new age type spiritual people... I take my beliefs from so many sources including Buddhism, Druidry, modern Shamanism, Christianity and Spiritualism.

I was brought up a Protestant, both baptised and confirmed and I served in the church there. I read a the lectern, sang in the choir, became head chorrister at one point...

It's wierd because a lotta people who were raised like this seem to hold some contempt towards the church, I don't miss any if it.

I respect all religions, although I don't like the way they're twisted to take advantage of people or hurt people. No religion truelly condones hatred, not even Satanism.
  • Options
    I'd call myself spiritual at present? Not one of those new age type spiritual people... I take my beliefs from so many sources including Buddhism, Druidry, modern Shamanism, Christianity and Spiritualism.

I was brought up a Protestant, both baptised and confirmed and I served in the church there. I read a the lectern, sang in the choir, became head chorrister at one point...

It's wierd because a lotta people who were raised like this seem to hold some contempt towards the church, I don't miss any if it.

I respect all religions, although I don't like the way they're twisted to take advantage of people or hurt people. No religion truelly condones hatred, not even Satanism.

:confused:

So you're a mongrelist then :p

Yea I read up on a Satanist site and according to them, they're really misunderstood...that Satan is an angelic type person and weird stuff like that.

I was brought up a Catholic but am not a practising one...I have no time for religion in my life.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :confused:

So you're a mongrelist then :p
    Trust me, no religion is "pure".
  • Options
    What about the Puritans ;)
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    murder is not something taught in the Koran.

Retaliation against infidels would appear to be justified.
  • Options

Satanism most definitely does condone hatred, as part of retaliation for wrong doing and such like - not that Satanism could really be considered a religion, as only a small minority actually worship the 'diety' of Satan.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    religion.......never been religious in any way,in fact i hate the whole concept of religion.i think that i respect the beliefs of others,but do i?? when i disagree so much with religious extremists?

My religions parody, mock and disrespect themselves, as well as every other religion*. Fundamentalists are always game targets, whether they are Islamic, Christian or political ideologues. They sure as hell don't respect your beliefs, so why should you respect anyone who would force their way on life on you if given the chance?

(*Discordian/Subgenius, if you must know. PM me if you desperately want details or something.)
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Satanism most definitely does condone hatred, as part of retaliation for wrong doing and such like - not that Satanism could really be considered a religion, as only a small minority actually worship the 'diety' of Satan.
    I disagree... I think the difference between Satanism and a lot of forms of Christianity (right hand path, left hand path) is that Satanism (not actually worshipping Satan as a deity by the way) admits to being materialistic and egoistic. That's just my view...

Satanism does not involve submission to a deity, or to a set or doctrines set in stone like many religious paths, athough there are different paths and guidelines within them, for example LaVey's church of Satan. It is usually about advancement of the self, sometimes with spiritual guidance, often with philosophical guidance.

Yes, it states revenge instead of turning the other cheek, it says to give kindness to those who deserve it, but it also teaches not to harm the vulnerable or be cruel to animals.

Satanism represents so many assets of what the atheist is, Satanism (in my view) is essentially human nature when we let go of the Divine, it is the way we usually act towards each other. It preaches hatred no more than any other religion.

Why don't ya consider Satanism a religion?
  • Options
    How can a philosophy based on a sort of atheistic agnosticism be considered a religion?

He admits Satanic dogma is baseless and without higher purpose, so LaVeyan satanism can't be classed as a religion. It's a pseudo-philosophy based on self-aggrandisement and little else.

I would therefore only consider the minority who actually worship a deity as 'religious'.

The philosophy of do to others as they do to you teaches vengeance and hateful actions against those who have perpetrated likewise against you, so hatred is clearly permissable under that circumstance.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    How can a philosophy based on a sort of atheistic agnosticism be considered a religion?

He admits Satanic dogma is baseless and without higher purpose, so LaVeyan satanism can't be classed as a religion. It's a pseudo-philosophy based on self-aggrandisement and little else.

I would therefore only consider the minority who actually worship a deity as 'religious'.

The philosophy of do to others as they do to you teaches vengeance and hateful actions against those who have perpetrated likewise against you, so hatred is clearly permissable under that circumstance.
    What about "an eye for an eye"? That preaches vengance. It's what you get out of religion that counts and Satanists are no worse than most atheists in their way of life...

It doesn't teach hateful actions, just revenge... And revenge is what you make of it. It hardly says to go out and kill children, or persecute homosexuals... As for being a"pseudo-philosophy" I'd remove the 'pseudo' part personally... Some Satanic philosophies have their roots with the Enlightenment period unless I'm mistaken... Enlightenment philosophies often are centred around rationalism.

If Satanism is not a religion, then neither is Buddhism, Taoism of Confucianism (if that's the right way to say it).
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

What about the Temple of Set? Or the ONA? Independent Setists?
  • Options
    Also, wikipedia definition of religion:

Religion —sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system—is commonly defined as belief concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine; and the moral codes, practices, values, institutions and rituals associated with such belief. In the course of the development of religion, it has taken many forms in various cultures and individuals.

If you take left hand path development from beyond the Satanists Bible, then Satanism falls into that position. Of course, the overlap between applied philosophy and religion is very close (as the post mentioning Buddhism and Taoism mentioned) but frankly I gave up arguing on religion a long time ago. Satire is much more fufilling.
  • Options
    What about "an eye for an eye"? That preaches vengance. It's what you get out of religion that counts and Satanists are no worse than most atheists in their way of life...

It doesn't teach hateful actions, just revenge... And revenge is what you make of it. It hardly says to go out and kill children, or persecute homosexuals... As for being a"pseudo-philosophy" I'd remove the 'pseudo' part personally... Some Satanic philosophies have their roots with the Enlightenment period unless I'm mistaken... Enlightenment philosophies often are centred around rationalism.

Revenge is a hateful action, whether you consider it justified or not. The 'pseudo' refers particularly to LaVeyan Satanism. Much of Satanic Bible, along with the rest of LaVey's work i've read is pretentious babble at best - something which effectively concedes.

It's worth noting LaVey is criticised as a fraud and a joke figure by other Satanists.
    What about the Temple of Set? Or the ONA? Independent Setists?

What about them?