Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reccomend a free browser

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want tabbed browsing, and the ability to automatically save sessions. As well as all the usual features.

Ive fallen out with IE and FF. I tried Opera which i quite liked, and i might go back to that if i cant find anything better...

So, any reccomendations?

Comments

• Options
    i use opera all the time
  • Options
    Why have you fallen out with IE and Firefox? Is it anything that can be changed?
  • Options
    I tend to use Opera and IE, i did use opera alot but i dont know why i changed back i still do use opera just stick with that.
  • Options
    You have Flock which is based on Firefox core... Barely tried it, seems ok, but I like Firefox so you might not like it if you stop using firefox.

I used Opera a while back, was ok.
  • Options
    www.avantbrowser.com - its the one I use. Either that or www.maxthon.com
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I like Opera too :yes:
  • Options
    Firefox or Opera. I prefer Firefox because of the free extras (skins, modifications, the mighty StumbleUpon) but Opera is still better than IE, especially from a security viewpoint.
  • Options
    thanks for the suggestions

im trying maxathon at the moment and it seems quite good and ive had no problems yet

although im not convinced that theres no spyware attached to it, it just seems dodgy somehow.
  • Options
    Why have you fallen out with IE and Firefox? Is it anything that can be changed?

I'll... just... reply to myself. I'm still curious as to why you've fallen out with Firefox...
  • Options
    Im happy wth Firefox 1.5.0.1 (i think thats the newest version)...tabbed browsing and its fast. Plus, he extensions are great, something which IE doesnt have.
  • Options
    Aww this is where your wrong about IE

They have launched a public version of 7 Beta

Which at the moment is called IE 7 Beta 2

You can view a tour and download Here
  • Options
    Aye, and the first serious security flaw has already been found in it :).
  • Options
    Aye, and the first serious security flaw has already been found in it :).

Considering that it's a public beta and not a release that's to be expected. Other browsers are not without their security flaws to be honest.
  • Options
    I'll... just... reply to myself. I'm still curious as to why you've fallen out with Firefox...

because firefox isnt as amazing as everyone thinks it is! i wasnt impressed with its lack of compatability, the "this page contains no data" crap and a few other things were irritating me.

Ive had none of this crap from maxathon so far so thanks to whoever reccomended it :thumb:
  • Options
    because firefox isnt as amazing as everyone thinks it is![
    Thats what i get alot of from techy people on msn they are like FIREFOX RULES! I dont see what the difference is!

Im happy with IE and all its Security flaws! Im going to give safari ago tho :yum:
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Thats what i get alot of from techy people on msn they are like FIREFOX RULES! I dont see what the difference is!

Im happy with IE and all its Security flaws! Im going to give safari ago tho :yum:

I noticed a huge difference when I started using FF. I used to have to clean with Spybot every week. Now it finds absolutely nothing. I haven't seen any incompatibility with it so far...are you sure you have the right plugins, and the security settings weren't preventing a page element from loading?
  • Options
    I noticed a huge difference when I started using FF. I used to have to clean with Spybot every week. Now it finds absolutely nothing. I haven't seen any incompatibility with it so far...are you sure you have the right plugins, and the security settings weren't preventing a page element from loading?

i dont want to use it! im not saying firefox is bad, it just doesnt deserve all the arse licking that everyone gives it. It does have advantages over some other browsers. Its just not for me.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Considering that it's a public beta and not a release that's to be expected. Other browsers are not without their security flaws to be honest.

Considering it is at least the 7th major revision to the program, and beta published today should have the vast majority of security flaws sorted by now. Beta means new features and buggy, a public preview. It shouldn't be synonymous with gaping security holes...
    Blah wrote:
    because firefox isnt as amazing as everyone thinks it is! i wasnt impressed with its lack of compatability, the "this page contains no data" crap and a few other things were irritating me.

Ive had none of this crap from maxathon so far so thanks to whoever reccomended it :thumb:

Ah, but Firefox is amazing. In around three years of development, it equals and outperforms the market leader in most areas. The most amazing thing is how many people can get used to it so quickly after using a different browser for years.

You're free to use whatever you'd like to use. There is no point in using something just for the sake of it - fair play to you for giving it a go :).

It is very rare that I find a site these days that doesn't work correctly in Firefox. I very rarely find a site that gives 'this page contains no data" either - though in that instance, IE should time out as well.

Hey-ho... must confess I've never tried maxathon. Ah... I never will, either. It's just IE with extra features - maybe I'll have a look if they ever open-source it ;).
  • Options
    Ah, but Firefox is amazing.

in your opinion :p

Its just a browser, no need to get all posessive deadrie!
  • Options
    Maxthon all the way for me, i've used it for a while now and think its a great browser, get quite a lot of updates and features if you like them e.g skins and stuff. Also tabbed, seems faster then IE aswell for some reason and don't think I've come across a site that doesnt work with it but you never know.

Could never get into Firefox myself, always seemed to get annoying little bugs that really pee'd me off, like the screen going jumpy and stuff ... o well I'm happy with Maxthon :)
  • Options
    :cool:
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    in your opinion :p

Its just a browser, no need to get all posessive deadrie!

I only said that because you said it wasn't! I don't think I've ever referred to Firefox as amazing before that :p.
  • Options
    I tried Firefox last year- didn't like it. Tried it again last week- don't like it. I use Safari and Camino. I was using Safari and Opera last year, can't remember why I changed, but I did, and I'm happy.
  • Options
    Considering it is at least the 7th major revision to the program, and beta published today should have the vast majority of security flaws sorted by now. Beta means new features and buggy, a public preview. It shouldn't be synonymous with gaping security holes...

Frankly this is nonsense. If beta products were free of issues there'd be no point in a beta. Any large scale release is going to introduce new issues. Each new release of firefox has had at least one critical security advisory tied to it.

You're just picking up on an IE security issue because you are pro-FF.
  • Options
    How many programmers do Microsoft have? How many years have they spent developing IE? Regardless of whatever modifications are made these days, I really can't see any justification for big bugs still being in their codebase.

Yep, I'm pro-FF. And pro-Opera, and pro pretty much anything that does a better job than Microsoft :). I can't be pro-IE - they don't release a version for FreeBSD or Linux, so I can't use it.
  • Options
    www.avantbrowser.com - its the one I use. Either that or www.maxthon.com
    I recommend Maxthon