Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

1400-capacity Egyptian ferry sinks

"A ferry carrying about 1,400 people, most of them Egyptians, has sunk in the Red Sea. Fourteen bodies and about 100 survivors have so far been pulled from the water, Egyptian officials said. The al-Salam Boccaccio'98 went down about 80km (50 miles) off the Egyptian coast during an overnight journey from Duba in Saudi Arabia to Safaga. Rescue boats and helicopters are searching the area, but are being hampered by poor weather. The cause of the sinking is not known, but there were high winds when it left Duba."

Click here for details.

Oh my god, this is awful. I can't begin to imagine what the families of the people on the ferry must be going through. My sympathies go out to them at this time. :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah its really bad, but at least there are some survivors.

R.I.P
  • Options
    It hurts every time I hear things like these. I can never see myself in such a situation. I really cannot comprehend not being on Earth. So far away from home. One day... it will happen... for all of us.

A mystery.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sad thing to happen.

If they maintained the ferries better... but i suppose we can't hope for Miracles.
  • Options
    We certainly have the technology and know how to prevent a lot of these kind of things happening, everything from weather monitoring equipment, to transmitters which can send a rescue signal into outer space which can locate you to within a few metres, just a matter of people working together to make all this happen.
  • Options
    very sad,but things like this will allways happen because human beings are responsible for safety.
  • Options
    Israeli subs operate in those waters :chin:
  • Options
    dave777 wrote:
    and???
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    "A ferry carrying about 1,400 people, most of them Egyptians, has sunk in the Red Sea. Fourteen bodies and about 100 survivors have so far been pulled from the water, Egyptian officials said. The al-Salam Boccaccio'98 went down about 80km (50 miles) off the Egyptian coast during an overnight journey from Duba in Saudi Arabia to Safaga. Rescue boats and helicopters are searching the area, but are being hampered by poor weather. The cause of the sinking is not known, but there were high winds when it left Duba."

Click here for details.

Oh my god, this is awful. I can't begin to imagine what the families of the people on the ferry must be going through. My sympathies go out to them at this time. :(

while our thoughts and prayers are with those who lost their lives, the families of those who perished, and friends and associates involved, or linked in any way to those who died.

you have to imagine and then take into consideration the compassion felt for people elsewhere in the world, the thousands who die everyday due to starvation didnt chose to have that happen to them, it sounds harsh, but the people who got on the ferry were unlucky to have done something such as get on a doomed ferry, 1,400 lives is a lot of people, but still nothing in comparison to the more than 1,400 who lose their lives everyday, and dont often even have anyone to think of them who they are related to, never mind millions of tv viewers accross the world who have compassion for people they might never have met, and saw on the news

sorry if i was too harsh there
  • Options
    dave777 wrote:
    To you, everything in the world is somehow an anti-Israeli conspiracy. :rolleyes:
    MrG wrote:
    you have to imagine and then take into consideration the compassion felt for people elsewhere in the world, the thousands who die everyday due to starvation didnt chose to have that happen to them, it sounds harsh, but the people who got on the ferry were unlucky to have done something such as get on a doomed ferry, 1,400 lives is a lot of people, but still nothing in comparison to the more than 1,400 who lose their lives everyday, and dont often even have anyone to think of them who they are related to, never mind millions of tv viewers accross the world who have compassion for people they might never have met, and saw on the news
    Somewhat insensitive, to say the least, but true.
  • Options
    Hmm. Found out today it was a Ro-ro... no supprise it sunk realy then. Bastard unsafe things.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Hmm. Found out today it was a Ro-ro... no supprise it sunk realy then. Bastard unsafe things.

Yeah, all old shitty ferries get sold to poorer countries, so their people can die on them. Great.
  • Options
    Yeah, all old shitty ferries get sold to poorer countries, so their people can die on them. Great.

Some campanies over here still use Ro-ro's... se em going up and down to past Felixstowe... there is a reason they became knows as roll over roll over.
  • Options
    I heard on the radio that the ferry that sank was registered as having two upper decks, but had four at the time it sank. I wasn't paying much attention at the time, so can't give any more info that that. Sorry.
  • Options
    It was about 30 years old as well. The egyptians are rioting about it now. And so they should be tbh.