Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Arsenal : Where did it go wrong?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm just wondering what neutrals think of Arsenal's "transition", try to keep the wind-ups to a minimum. ;)

It's a real riches to rags story.

1. Not replacing Vieira.

Selling Vieira was the right decision, looking at our season, even if we had him we still would've lost many of the game we have. Wenger's biggest mistake was not bringing in some steel (Diarra perhaps?) in the Summer, despite missing out on Baptista.

2. Big name players letting the side down.

Look at the "English International on 80k a week" last night. Shite, absolute shite. Cotton-wool Gilberto, non existant. Ljungberg ineffective. Pires too lazy (and he wants a two-year deal?). Even Henry deserves some criticism here. Last night's overhead attempt for example. What was the point? The youngsters have been, on the whole, (perhaps Senderos aside)been playing relatively well.

3. Henry's leadership skills.

Vieira led by example. Henry....doesn't lead at all. He occasionally gives a player the odd glare-o-doom but other than that, where's the communication? Where's the encouragement? We've been playing without a captain this season as far as I'm concerned.

4. No plan B

Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, Gilberto loses the ball, ball hoofed, meathead striker, *insert arsenal defender here* misses ball, goal. Almost every goal we've conceeded this season has used this template and we have nothing to combat it.

5. Henry: will he won't he?

It's not a good thing to have the clubs best player and captain um-ing and ah-ing over a new deal. This has hung over the club like a black cloud. Despite what he has already said i.e it is my desire to stay, IMHO he's off in the summer if we finish outside of the Champions League (which is looking extremely likely). He should just come out and say it. I don't think any Arsenal fan will hold it against him, he's given us a lot of good memories but if he does or doesn't he should say so, so Wenger can plan a replacement now rather than be rushed into a panic buy on August 31st. If he wants to repay the "debt of honour" he owes Wenger he should sign the extension regardless so Arsenal get the maximum fee he would command (probably 20-30 million).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I really don't know where it went wrong for them, but my boyfriend (Spurs fan) is very happy today.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    I'm just wondering what neutrals think of Arsenal's "transition", try to keep the wind-ups to a minimum. ;)

It's a real riches to rags story.

Ah come off it, one off season doesn't lead to a 'riches to rags' story. Try £40 Million + of debt, no manager and a numpty board. I remember watching my lot (Derby) tonking you 3-0 not all that long ago.

Now shush yourself.
  • Options
    Ah come off it, one off season doesn't lead to a 'riches to rags' story. Try £40 Million + of debt, no manager and a numpty board. I remember watching my lot (Derby) tonking you 3-0 not all that long ago.

Now shush yourself.

I know it's an "off season" and we will be back. I still remember the days 5th place was a good season but considering the players we have at our disposal and our performances so far it's just not good enough at the moment.

I may have been a tad overdramatic but last night really pissed me off. :banghead:
  • Options
    Well bit of a shambles at the minute isnt it. I think the gap left by Vieira has had its effect but i don't think you can look at that and say thats the reason. We got good money for him and sold him at about the right time. I think Wenger saw that Vieira was losing something each season and was carrying injuries which would of affected him later on.

I think our problem is we havent really brought in anyone to fill in the gap and generally add something to the team. We've brought some good youngsters who im sure will be great in a few years time but we kinda needed someone who would make an immediate impact and we havent.

Sad to see, a team that only a few seasons back was playing beautiful football and were the best team in the land :D but i guess all great teams have a blip, i mean look at ManUre :p. Not saying our footballs shocking, we do still play some really good stuff but were just not the team of old.

But we'll be back, don't you worry about that :D
  • Options
    Out of your youngsters only 2 maybe 3 have potential to develop into top players. Wenger's good with kids but his success rate is less than alot of people give him credit for.

There's no passion at your club. Noone really loves the club, and there's no heart to drive the team on. Fair enough, Henry's presence alone lifts a team, but he's not really captain fantastic.

Pires, Lungberg, Campbell, Bergkamp and couple of others (Lehmann) need replaced or are at that stage soon enough. That's quite a few players and you can't just throw in a load of young African-French players and expect it to come together.

I agree that Henry needs to sign a contract. It's affecting his own game. I used to think Henry only played crap against big sides, but now I see it slipping in against the rest. He looks discontent.

And like us, your team is crying out for a domineering midfielder. Fabregas has a good touch and that but he's not got any physical presence. Not many of the top midfielders would be that fazed playing against him.

I think we're starting to see weaknesses in tactics as well. Wenger said he'd never play 5 in midfield but surprise surprise, you've played half this season with 5 in midfield. Your not scoring and your looking likely to concede in every match. There's something wrong.
    all great teams have a blip, i mean look at ManUre .

We're still in a better position than you. :p

Second in the league, and still in the 2 domestic cups. Fair enough, we're not in Europe but the way your lot are playing you won't be much longer either. And we will be there next year, of that I'm sure. And we have Rooney. :)
  • Options
    Some good points.

I would say United are at the same stage we were at last season. Cup success helped paper over the cracks for us but they've been made glaringly visible this season. United and Liverpool are probably still Chelsea's short-term rivals though.

Diaby looks as though he could be the midfielder we need but as usual it's all potential and no proven quality.
  • Options
    I watched Match of the Day and the way Henry was crouching down in the tunnel before the game seemed to say a lot about how he is feeling. He looked unhappy, as if he didn't want to go and play the game. The performances of the team may be affecting him aswell as the contract because he's being used to playing in a team who play awesome sexy football which they haven't for large parts of this season.

Think the team hasn't got another option (think mentioned in first post), but the way I see it is - They like the sexy football, the quick pass and move mostly on the floor, they don't have the ability (or height and strength maybe) to get wide and whip some balls into the danger area, they seem to play it back across the area and try slide delicate balls through all the time. (I'm saying this but obviously haven't seen every game etc.) Viera was a big bloke who from midfield could make his way into the box for crosses to be whipped in, don't think they have anyone with that height and physical presence coming from midfield anymore.

Henry's overhead kick - The point was that it was a fantastic effort that didn't miss the far corner by much, I believe that would have levelled the scores?? How an Arsenal fan especially can complain about something like that with so much quality attached to it I don't know. Would you be asking what the point was if it had nestled in the bottom corner?? I think not.
  • Options
    Henry's overhead kick - The point was that it was a fantastic effort that didn't miss the far corner by much, I believe that would have levelled the scores?? How an Arsenal fan especially can complain about something like that with so much quality attached to it I don't know. Would you be asking what the point was if it had nestled in the bottom corner?? I think not.

We were 3-1 down, there were players running into the box. All he had to do was pass it and it's 3-2 and all to play for in the last 10 minutes. He went for the ego stroke. I appreciate the effort, but I don't appreciate the lack of team play. Henry is a demi-god but he shouldn't be exempt from criticism if he warrants it.

I'm probably not the only Arsenal fan who would take boring defensive 1-0 wins until the end of the season over showboating thrillers that could go either way.
  • Options
    Campbell

Hmm just saw this about Campbell and why he might have left Highbury on Wednesday. Having abit of hard time in his private life.
  • Options
    No doubt there'll be an "exclusive" in the Sunday papers. Already the rumours have started......
  • Options
    Well we have no defence at the minute, and it couldn't have come at a worse time for us. Cole, Clichy, Lauren and Cygan injured. Toure and Eboue at the African Cup of Nations and Campbell out of the squad. So that leaves Senderos as our best defender. Great. So our next game .. away to to Birmingham.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    No doubt there'll be an "exclusive" in the Sunday papers. Already the rumours have started......
    Do they involve a certain Pop Idol winner?
  • Options
    it cant involve a certain pop idol winner; i think shes a mong
  • Options
    I have heard the Sol rumours and apparently it'll be the headline in sundays NOTW. If they turn out to be true i hope fans dont turn their back on Sol and give him their support. Im sure Sol will manage to oull through
  • Options
    If it is what I think it is then there'll be a big "so what?" from me and I'm sure the bloke will get the support he so obviously needs. Pires's comments obviously mean the team know. I just hope this story backfires on the NOTW the way I'm expecting. Let's face it, he's probably at the right club, in the middle of "guardianista" territory, to deal with it.

I hate speculating though, and at the moment I'm just worried about the blokes wellbeing. :(
  • Options
    I think the decline of Arsenal is greatly over-stated, to tell the truth. I still think they'll finish top four, just.

All players have stinkers, especially when they're having a hard time of it. Who cares about the rumours? I would say the NOTW should be ashamed of themselves, but they have no shame, and if they destroy a good man they're even happier. The NOTW staff- all of them- should be executed; I'd happily shoot them, that's for sure.

Arsenal basically need a big forrad, a big centre-half, and a midfield presence. They have surprised me how much they've missed Vieira, but I happen to think the biggest loss last summer wasn't Vieira, it was Edu. They've certainly missed Edu.

They've got the youth to do well, I reckon. Players like van Persie, like Fabregas, like Senderos, like Reyes certainly have the ability. I think Reyes is finding it hard, becayse teams know they can kick him out of a game, so they do. ManYoo are masters of it, so are Bolton.

But the problem's been the older players just haven't performed this year. And the defensive troubles have started because Arsenal are missing a lot of key players- Lauren, Cole, Clichy, and now Campbell. When ManYoo were without Neville, Ferdinand and Heinze they couldn't defend for toffee, if Liverpool lost Carragher and Hyypia they'd be in trouble, if Spurs lost King they'd have problems.

Arsenal are struggling because the squad is a bit threadbare, basically. Apart from Chelsea, a team without most of its regular back four would struggle greatly.
  • Options
    If it went wrong anywhere, it was the moment they signed up to plough cash into a new stadium which has left little cash floating to invest i the team IMHO.

It'll come right for them. He may be a cunt, but Wenger is a decent manager.
  • Options
    If it went wrong anywhere, it was the moment they signed up to plough cash into a new stadium which has left little cash floating to invest i the team IMHO.

I kind of agree, but as Moaninho pointed out, Reyes didn't grow on a tree. And Walcott didn't either.
    It'll come right for them. He may be a cunt, but Wenger is a decent manager.

I actually think it will do, the kids seem to be quite good.

I know it was only Birmingham, but that back line defended well with an average age of 20, and Adebayor seemed to offer something a bit different.