Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Icky tongue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had my tongue piercing out for about a month now I'd say. There was always a little bump there and that stayed after it closed up. Today my tongue started to hurt right there and I looked, the bump looks all swollen. Its hard to explain. It looks like the part of skin that stuck up while the ring was in, never healed back up with the rest of the tongue, now its just like a little flappy bit, only now its all swollen looking.
I have an unrelated Dr appt in 2 weeks so if its still bothersome and I remember I'll probably ask then, but for the next 14 days, does anybody have... well anything?
Similar experiences, ways to help the pain, make the bumpy go away?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hey there

Ooh, that sounds icky - hope you're not suffering too much. I've no direct experience - and the best course of action is to see your GP, but I reckon in the meantime the bext thing you can maybe do to stop any infection and maybe ease the discomfort is to try and rinse your mouth with warm salt water

Put say half a teaspoon full of salt into a cup/mug etc and pour boiling water onto it. Stir it and let it cool then swill your mouth with it. This might help with any infection in there. My dentist told me to do this for my wisdom teeth when my gums get sore, so it should work for your tongue.

HTH a bit, petal
    Love cavegirl
    xx
  • Options
    Maybe an infection? Not sure, just an idea. Get some TCP Liquid from boots or ur local chemist, mix it with water and swish it round your mouth. Its safe to use in the mouth and it contains antiseptic. (See link) Good luck

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/product_detail.asp?productid=197
  • Options
    Thanks.

My normal Dr will be able to help right, I dont need like a special tongue dr. Thing that bothers me, else I"d probably leave it alone, is the exact same thing happened every couple months or so when the ring was in, so I thought it would stop, but now, I realize, it hasn't :p
  • Options
    yeah it could be slightly infected, i used to have my eyebrow pierced and when i took that out it healed up then after a few days was like a red lump, i ended up popping it with a needle and a load of this pus stuff came out, then i just cleaned it out with antiseptic stuff about 2/3 times a day and it healed fine!

edit: i probably wouldnt try popping it on your tongue though, might hurt!
    just see the doc and see what they say :thumb:
  • Options
    If I stuck my tongue out to a pharmcicist, would they know what it is/how to help me?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    My normal Dr will be able to help right, I dont need like a special tongue dr.

AFAIK the only speciality that would cover it is ENT (ear, nose and throat), but even then you'd have to be referred from your GP so just ask the doctor is prob the best bet. (That's based on the system in the UK but I assume it's fairly similar there)
  • Options
    smidgeon of info, no referrals needed for any specality. Just call up and make an appt, just make sure you have insurance ;) but thanks.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    smidgeon of info, no referrals needed for any specality. Just call up and make an appt, just make sure you have insurance ;) but thanks.

Ah you see, here you have to go through all the red tape before getting seen to. If only they'd privatise our health system eh...but that's another conversation :chin:
  • Options
    Ah you see, here you have to go through all the red tape before getting seen to. If only they'd privatise our health system eh...but that's another conversation :chin:

Seriously? you think the uk should privatise its health system? why?
    what about all the people who can't afford treatment or all the terminally ill patients who will be in and out of hospital all the time, are you saying its fair to make them pay possibly hundreds of thousands just to live?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    ./.......
    but that's another conversation :chin:

;)

My boss said it looks like scar tissue... It has been there since I got my tongue done, maybe?... :chin:
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Seriously? you think the uk should privatise its health system? why?
    what about all the people who can't afford treatment or all the terminally ill patients who will be in and out of hospital all the time, are you saying its fair to make them pay possibly hundreds of thousands just to live?

Most of my family all work in the NHS, and I work in a hospital part time too. Most of us agree that it would work better if we had a private system. The idea is that you don't pay for the treatment, you pay a premium like you would with any other insurance. My main reasoning for saying this is that when hospitals get paid for treating patients, they STRIVE to make their treatments as good and as efficient as possible. If a hospital isn't up to scratch, nobody goes there. It would mean less beaurocracy and more patients sorted out. But I really don't wanna debate about it on here 'cos I'll probably lose...I'm much better at arguing face to face :yes: That's just my opinion!
  • Options

Yes i can see the arguement for privatising hospitals but then again, as for argument about terminally ill patients - if everyone is paying into a premium, wouldnt theirs sky rocket as soon as they declared their illness (as they would no doubt have to)?
    i dont know about this though as im not entirely sure how the system works in the us
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Yes i can see the arguement for privatising hospitals but then again, as for argument about terminally ill patients - if everyone is paying into a premium, wouldnt theirs sky rocket as soon as they declared their illness (as they would no doubt have to)?
    i dont know about this though as im not entirely sure how the system works in the us

I'm not sure, because I imagine that the money from the people who aren't claiming for treatment would cushion the defecit made by the claims from ill people. I don't know if it would be the same for terminaly ill people, I dunno. Ask a yank ;)
  • Options
    I had a gyno appt today. I thought to myself, hey, thats a doctor right there. So I asked him what he thought of what was on my tongue. I told him the history and everything and he said it was definatly scar tissue. He told me the most common procedure (though its not very common being on a tongue) would be to either laser it off or cut it off. Both are painless and simple, in and out in less than a half an hour (including the time to numb and such) He said its not much different than a mole removal. Obviously he won't do it though :p

I'm a bit freaked now though. I do have that appt on the 13th with my GP, and I will bring it to her attention. I'm just a bit freaked. If my current place of health is similar to the one I had when I lived with the parents, they will do it right then and there when I ask about it. I knew I should have done something about it when that bit of skin never went away. But no, I had to have it, delt with it for four years and the pain it caused when it got irrated.
  • Options
    Most of my family all work in the NHS, and I work in a hospital part time too. Most of us agree that it would work better if we had a private system. The idea is that you don't pay for the treatment, you pay a premium like you would with any other insurance. My main reasoning for saying this is that when hospitals get paid for treating patients, they STRIVE to make their treatments as good and as efficient as possible. If a hospital isn't up to scratch, nobody goes there. It would mean less beaurocracy and more patients sorted out. But I really don't wanna debate about it on here 'cos I'll probably lose...I'm much better at arguing face to face :yes: That's just my opinion!
    You're wrong for many reasons, but I shall resist the temptation to hijack this thread.

my_name, get yourself a family medical encyclopaedia.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You're wrong for many reasons, but I shall resist the temptation to hijack this thread.

What a stupid idea. What point would that have. :yeees:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    What a stupid idea. What point would that have. :yeees:
    :confused:
  • Options
    Why the hell would I need a family medical encycleopedia? :rolleyes: can you say hypocondriach? Plus if I need to get into the Dr I can within a day usually, I don't need to wait weeks/months.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

So you'd rather just disagree for the sake of it? :confused: I'm happy to hear your opinion.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Why the hell would I need a family medical encycleopedia? :rolleyes: can you say hypocondriach? Plus if I need to get into the Dr I can within a day usually, I don't need to wait weeks/months.
    How come you ask so many questions on here then? Half the threads in Health are yours.

Hypochondriac? Yep.
  • Options
    Your math doesn't work out. So I should go to the Doctor or look in an encyclopedia for opinions on wisdom teeth. I didn't know books gave opinions or that it make me a hypo. I had an infected earring, oh god I'm so bad. I wondered if a scented bubble bath I had bought is safe due to its warning of causing UTI's. I shouldn't have been so questioning. Well by golly I see exactly where you are coming from. How silly of me. And god forbid I ask a question on here about my swollen painful tongue. I should have just ignored it, huh. And here I thought the point of this place was to ask questions to get help. I was apperantly mistaken! Had it not be so early in the morning I'm sure I would have pissed myself with laughter with your ignorant frankly retarded comment. So helpful. :yes:
  • Options
    So you'd rather just disagree for the sake of it? :confused: I'm happy to hear your opinion.
    If a healthcare system is based on thr principle of a profit margin in every treatment and service, then the insurance companies have all the power, the medical staff have a little and the patient has none. He accepts whatever treatment that a) he can afford, and b) his insurance policy will pay for. It adds another layer of bureaucracy and creates a two-tier system for those who can pay and those who can't. The last thing you want to be worrying about when you fall ill is whether your insurance policy will cover the costs.

And if patients can choose to see a doctor of any specialty on whim and at short notice, the system becomes increasingly inefficient, with doctors, nurses and equipment standing idle or being used for patients who may not need it.

But all of this is best discussed in the Politics and Debate forum. ;)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Your math doesn't work out. So I should go to the Doctor or look in an encyclopedia for opinions on wisdom teeth. I didn't know books gave opinions or that it make me a hypo. I had an infected earring, oh god I'm so bad. I wondered if a scented bubble bath I had bought is safe due to its warning of causing UTI's. I shouldn't have been so questioning. Well by golly I see exactly where you are coming from. How silly of me. And god forbid I ask a question on here about my swollen painful tongue. I should have just ignored it, huh. And here I thought the point of this place was to ask questions to get help. I was apperantly mistaken! Had it not be so early in the morning I'm sure I would have pissed myself with laughter with your ignorant frankly retarded comment. So helpful. :yes:
    Strange girl.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

But all of this is best discussed in the Politics and Debate forum. ;)

:yes:

Let's stick to offering each other useful info here, shall we?
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    :yes:

Let's stick to offering each other useful info here, shall we?

Apperantly you can't if you've asked too many questions.