Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GRR installed new RAM, fans noisier

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As it says in the title. I've just installed two crucial 512s, should be matched pair as purchased as a 1GB kit. Processor speeds are normal. P*&%d off. Going to troubleshoot by checking the effect of each module individually installed alongside the origonal but... grrrrrrr, I hate fiddling. I am lazy and just want everything to go nice and smooth....

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Arg. That must be quite annoying. Only way, is trial and error. Test the ram itself and in combos... find the culprit. (I jsut ordered some new RAM off ebuyer, Corsair, is good stuff. And a DVDRW dual layer drive :D )
  • Options
    Which fans?

I've got Corsair but next time i'll go with OCZ I think, much better for overclocking.
  • Options
    Hmmmm.... there are a few reasons why this could have happened. Use trial and error to rule out the possibilities.

I find SpeedFan (at http://www.almico.com) a good dignostic tool when playing around with the fans of my PC.

If you can't fix it - hey, you've got a great excuse for phase cooling :)
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Which fans?

Dude, I'm damned if I know such techie details- don't like fiddling so will always be a novice but I guess I'll have to investigate it further. Just found a couple of hints for fixing the occasional buzz that's def coming from my processor fan though- bonus!

Specs: Ist gen 17" G5 imac, 1.8GHz and now 1MB RAM, OS X 10.3.9 :D
  • Options
    apologies if you find this patronising, but have you checked the case is back on properly?
  • Options
    Not sure how ram would affect fan speeds. Try putting the old ram back in and see if they go back to being quieter. The memory shoulden't have anything to do with it really.
  • Options
    oft - my GPU fan roars like a beast, I have to kick the tower to stop it making so much noise :(
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Not sure how ram would affect fan speeds.
    the ram may give off more heat, or may change the air flow. Both could cause temperature sensitive fans to spin faster.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    the ram may give off more heat, or may change the air flow. Both could cause temperature sensitive fans to spin faster.

Surely it wouldn't make a noticeable difference though?