Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

159mph copper facing retrial

A police constable who reached 159mph on a motorway has had his acquittal for speeding and dangerous driving overturned by the High Court.
Pc Mark Milton, 38, from Telford, Shropshire, was recorded by the patrol car's video camera on the M54 in 2003.

District Judge Bruce Morgan earlier cleared him after hearing he was "familiarising" himself with a new car.

On Wednesday, two High Court judges sent the case back to Ludlow Magistrates' Court to be heard again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4669594.stm

Oh what a pity :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If this is part of a nation wide policy of just letting police drivers 'train' themselves then he should get off and the policy changed.

However, if its just him having a dangerous joy ride because he felt like it then he should have the book thrown at him.
  • Options
    Didn't we use to have a concept of 'double jeopardy' ie you can't be tried twice for the same offence.

If you believe in the rule of law and justice you should be outraged that this now longer seems to apply.
  • Options
    Didn't we use to have a concept of 'double jeopardy' ie you can't be tried twice for the same offence.

Yes, we did.
    If you believe in the rule of law and justice you should be outraged that this now longer seems to apply.

Yes, you should.

I think driving cases are civil or admiralty law in nature though, so that might be why.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

He wasnt proven not guilty, his case was thrown out so its different.
  • Options
    Double jeopardy was rejected recently, was it not?

But in any case as bong says the case was thrown out- nothing illegal has been done here.

If you have any sense of justice NQA, then you must be pleased that there is going to be another trial. Because it was an absolute fucking outrage that a man that is caught doing 159mph on a motorway gets away with it simply because he's a copper. You and me would have been chucked straight into jail. No slap in the wrist, not just a suspension, jail.

Life's alright for coppers innit? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If you have any sense of justice NQA, then you must be pleased that there is going to be another trial. Because it was an absolute fucking outrage that a man that is caught doing 159mph on a motorway gets away with it simply because he's a copper. You and me would have been chucked straight into jail. No slap in the wrist, not just a suspension, jail.

It is slightly different though, as I said, if he was told doing this was ok, then I think he should get off and those above him repremanded. But if he did this just on the spur of the moment then he should be charged.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It is slightly different though, as I said, if he was told doing this was ok, then I think he should get off and those above him repremanded. But if he did this just on the spur of the moment then he should be charged.
    Was he really told so though? I find that very difficult to believe. I have found no reference of it either.

But if that is the case, then I'd be happy for him to be given a lesser sanction and those in charge of him being charged with criminal negligence.

To be frank, that the ludicrous excuses given by the defence were actually deemed valid by the first judge ("He's a really good driver, your honour", "He needs training, you know" or "I need to get familiarised with my car guv") is something so absurd and surreal it wouldn't be out of place in a Monty Python sketch, or in the real-life dealings of a corrupt banana republic.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Was he really told so though? I find that very difficult to believe. I have found no reference of it either.

The person I saw interviewed about it on Channel 4 certainly seemed to suggest that this is the policy of at least his whole Police Authority.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Double jeopardy was rejected recently, was it not?

But in any case as bong says the case was thrown out- nothing illegal has been done here.

No I've always worried about people being tried and retried until the state gets the results it wants, whether thats a speeding copper or a mass murderer.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    No I've always worried about people being tried and retried until the state gets the results it wants, whether thats a speeding copper or a mass murderer.

He wasnt tried, it was thrown out.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    He wasnt tried, it was thrown out.

It still went to court - that seems a bit of a technicality to get around double jeopardy to me
  • Options
    Could you imagine the police letting you off if you had just bought a new car and did not realise you were going too fast or just trying it out. People are getting fed up of the cameras and once the network of road cameras are up and running they will be able to watch our every move and get people on virtually all motoring offences without being there.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    He wasnt proven not guilty, his case was thrown out so its different.

I think it's the Crown who have to prove the guilt of the defendant (beyond a reasonable doubt) not the other way around.

as it was a mistrail I guess its not really a double-jeopardy thing.
  • Options
    Should we do away with the right of appeal altogether then NQA?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Should we do away with the right of appeal altogether then NQA?

The prosecution should never be able to appeal on any circumstances - even if the Judge was totally incompetent or the Jury drunk. (Better a guilty man goes free...)

The defence should always have a right of appeal (...than an innocent man goes to jail)
  • Options
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. There are a few cases when clearly a miscarriage of justice has happened. Nobody is infallible- including judges.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. There are a few cases when clearly a miscarriage of justice has happened. Nobody is infallible- including judges.

I don't disagree with that when for the defence. I just don't think the prosecution should be given further bites at the cherry
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I don't disagree with that when for the defence. I just don't think the prosecution should be given further bites at the cherry

I do definately agree with that if the trial has gone through the full course, even if its a hung jury. But this case didnt really even get off the mark let alone all the arguments put forward.
  • Options
    I agree with NQA, it's a far from ideal set of circumstances to have the anti - social buffoons keep attacking you until they win.
    I do definately agree with that if the trial has gone through the full course, even if its a hung jury. But this case didnt really even get off the mark let alone all the arguments put forward.

I don't really see how that makes any difference whatsoever. It would be a rathr ridiculous if an obviously innocent* man had to sit through a full trial/appeal cycle when it could all be sorted in 5 minutes.

*In the opinion of the robe on the day, which is all that counts.