Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Samples I just cant give

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys

After a recent chest infection and a coughing up of blood thing (I think it was damage to the lining of my throat from bawking and spluttering) my doctor gave me antibiotics and things have been OK.

Now he wants me to give samples that I've coughed up each day. The thing is it's getting better with the medication and I don't know if I can fill these bottles - what if they're not good enough? Or I can't get a sample?

Although I was quite ill I'm recovering - which is good - but what of the SAMPLES - he could have asked for them before medicating me when they were happily waiting to be coughed up on demand.

Comments

• Options
    You don't need to 'fill' the bottles - the smallest sample is enough - all they need is enough to put on a slide or swab...

Ilora x
  • Options
    ^^^ :yes:

...and if you cant produce any, then dont panic, just tell the doc. They only need it to culture it and see what bugs grow, and to determine what antibiotics will be most effective. But if the mucus/phlegm is already drying up then the antibotics you are on are working fine :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm just concerned I will be branded a liar if I don't cough up a huge load of blood-stained sputum
  • Options
    Alan wrote:
    I'm just concerned I will be branded a liar if I don't cough up a huge load of blood-stained sputum

You wont be...it is obvious the antibiotics are working. Dont worry, it just shows you're on the mend :yes:
  • Options
    Don't worry, you are on the meds so he's probably expecting things to be looking better/good. ;)
  • Options
    Alan wrote:
    it's not a friggin court case!
    why are so many people frightened of doctors?
  • Options
    it's not a friggin court case!
    why are so many people frightened of doctors?

because, for reasons known only to themselves, quite a lot of doctors seem to think a fair proportion of people invent illnesses or exaggerate symptoms for the laugh.

although in this case, i would think it's entirely possible that the doc wants/expects to find nothing, to make sure the medicine is working and you don't need any further treatment.
  • Options
    if they've given you antibiotics they realise you're not faking it as they don't give them out as easily as they used to

they're probably just concerned as to whether it's going to come back etc
    but really don't worry about the samples, i have costochondritis and residual, chronic bronchitis and they never did a sample test so i'm sure they're just taking precautionary measures