Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The State of the Union address

Ah yes, the State of the Union address. In Bush's case, it can be boiled up as "the country's completely fucked up". Unfortunately, the bare truth isn't quite enough to fill in the hours of television coverage that the speech gets in the USA. So, we have to pad it up a little bit. Out of everything he said, the only bit I agree with him is about human cloning.

Normally, I refer to the story. This time, just some quotes from the speech; Click here.

What do you think?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Monkey Boy wrote:
    America is addicted to oil, which is often imported from unstable parts of the world.

The best way to break this addiction is through technology.
    :eek: ...holy shit, did he really just say that? You have my attention Mr. Bush
    To change how we power our homes and offices, we will invest more in zero-emission coal-fired plants... and clean, safe nuclear energy.

:yeees: oh, never mind
  • Options
    :yeees: oh, never mind

Clean coal is really nifty and could be a good way forward in the short term for energy production.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Clean coal is really nifty and could be a good way forward in the short term for energy production.
    I would much preffer an alternative.
  • Options
    did he mention the economy?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Nuclear is the way forward! Nuclear Power For Ever! ... or until we use up all the Uranium... that has two good effects see, once its all used up, no more new Nuclear weapons! :D (If only it were that easy.)

Let's keep working on Fusion.
  • Options
    did he mention the economy?
    His words: "We will build the prosperity of our country by strengthening our economic leadership in the world. The American economy is pre-eminent - but we cannot afford to be complacent. In a dynamic world economy, we are seeing new competitors like China and India. We must continue to lead the world in human talent and creativity. Our greatest advantage in the world has always been our educated, hard-working, ambitious people - and we are going to keep that edge."

Really? I'm not entirely convinced, Mr Dubya.
  • Options
    I was watching it at the gym, by golly I thought they had Comedy Central on all those stations. 1063 days left...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    His words: "We will build the prosperity of our country by strengthening our economic leadership in the world. The American economy is pre-eminent - but we cannot afford to be complacent. In a dynamic world economy, we are seeing new competitors like China and India. We must continue to lead the world in human talent and creativity. Our greatest advantage in the world has always been our educated, hard-working, ambitious people - and we are going to keep that edge."

Really? I'm not entirely convinced, Mr Dubya.
    thats a no then.
  • Options
    thats a no then.
    In fairness, he hasn't got much to boast about in terms of the economy, has he?

Personally, I would have preferred an apology for leading us into the Iraq war. A firm promise that there will not be a war on Iran - ideally one he actually means.
  • Options

Like what?

Wind? - No, too expensive and uses too much contrete
    Wave? - No, hugely expensive
    Solar? - No, its hugely toxic to make the panels

Nuclear and clean coal are good ways forward, and as an added bonus the coal gas can help up suck up the last of the oil too.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    A firm promise that there will not be a war on Iran - ideally one he actually means.

That's a rubbish idea even if you never want to go to war, always leave the option open as a bargining counter.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    That's a rubbish idea even if you never want to go to war, always leave the option open as a bargining counter.
    I just don't particularly like the idea of being blown up by nuclear bombs.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Nor do I, whats that got to do with it?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:

God, he'll be out of office by the time Iran gets them. Hell, the next president will be out most likley.

How do you propose Iran gets them this far... anyway? Truck?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    In fairness, he hasn't got much to boast about in terms of the economy, has he?

Personally, I would have preferred an apology for leading us into the Iraq war. A firm promise that there will not be a war on Iran - ideally one he actually means.
    i would have preferred an apology for the money going missing.
    i would have liked to hear him explain why he sold the family silver ...seriously.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Like what?

Wind? - No, too expensive and uses too much contrete
    Wave? - No, hugely expensive
    Solar? - No, its hugely toxic to make the panels
    Maybe they wouldn't be if they'd had even a fraction of the money nuclear's had spent on them.
  • Options
    Maybe they wouldn't be if they'd had even a fraction of the money nuclear's had spent on them.

Wind will always be expensive not only because of the land and labour costs but also because you need back up generators too.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Wind will always be expensive not only because of the land and labour costs but also because you need back up generators too.
    But we should still be spending as much on researching alternative energy sources as we do on nuclear. Relying on one or two is just stupid.
  • Options
    But we should still be spending as much on researching alternative energy sources as we do on nuclear. Relying on one or two is just stupid.

Of course, we should have a mix, but 're-newables' arent going to fill the 25% gap in our energy needs once the nuclear plants all start closing. Some of that should be wind etc. but largely it should be clean coal and nuclear.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Of course, we should have a mix, but 're-newables' arent going to fill the 25% gap in our energy needs once the nuclear plants all start closing. Some of that should be wind etc. but largely it should be clean coal and nuclear.
    Only because they've not had nearly the level of funding. Maybe if they had, then we would be in a position to use them more now. Funding for research into renewable/alternative energy needs to be equal to that of non-renewable so that 25 years from now, we're not in the same position.
  • Options
    Nothing of value said i thought.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

yes thats why we said we need a mix :thumb:
  • Options
    wales is set to have a quarter of a million homes wired up to the wind ...if the silly protesters fuck off.
    thousands are already being supplied.
    nuclear is the most expensive energy ever concieved and will be for a few thousand years.
    if i remember correctly ...the total population of wales is under three million so a quarter of a million homes is quite impressive.

another way forward which is now making headway is ...every house generates electricity from machines available now which are no bigger than a central heating boiler.
    i think i read that half the nations electricity could be generated this way within twenty years.
  • Options
    Well, if he had been much more explicit about calling for revolution in Iran there would have been cries of outrage from Tehran. Apart from that, it was the usual message.

1. Its all OK.

2. Everything is under control.

3. Go back to sleep America, your nation is in charge of the situation.

4. STAY TEH COARSE!!!