Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recycling...anything green?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this sounds daft but the other day I was confidently walking toward my green recycle bin with a piece of kitchen roll when I blew my nose into it, and then suddenly I was struck with doubt about its eligibility for this bin. any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    i think you still can recycle it. I dont think the bin men sort it all out by ungloved hand or anything.
  • Options
    Yep, you'll be ok to put it in there.

I work as an Environmental Manager, and have seen what happens to the paper waste. They dump it all into a big pulper and mash it up, bleach it and then recycle it.

Doubt a couple of boogers would throw much of a spanner in the works ;)
  • Options
    hehe, you said booger
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    hehe, you said booger

I most certainly did
  • Options
    hehehe
  • Options
    To be serious though, even as a quite environmentally concious person, the recycling being done by local councils is a joke - it's either none existent, or extremely badly managed -

We now have 6 different bins/boxes for different stuff. Would be OK if we had a huge garden, but we've simply got nowhere to keep them.
  • Options
    In Daventry (nearest town at home) we have a blue box for tins, plastic and glass, a red box for paper and clothes, and a brown dustbin to put garden waste and food peelings etc in, as well as the normal black bin. Daventry District Council is really high up for recycling, they do loads.

Also they put you off having a big bin - if you have 6 people + living in your house, you can apply for a bigger dustbin. In order to keep this bigger bin each year, you have to give the NI numbers for all the adults living in the house, and the NHS numbers of all the children, just so you can prove you need a bigger bin!
  • Options
    I'm just over the Manc border in Tameside rachie, and we have 3 full size bins (general, glass, paper), a box for garden stuff, one for tins and one for glass. It's a difficult job remembering what day they are coming to empty them!!!!!

They should reduce the size of the general waste bins as they increase the other recycling options.
  • Options
    a ggod idea would be to reduce the ammount of waste we are all producing.
    when i was a kid ...your mum had numerous shopping bags that lasted years.
    one for the unwashed veg ...two for the general shopping.
    no plastics at all.
    all bags were in the shops were paper.
    but the oil and chemical companies would hate us to go back there ...
  • Options
    im huddersfield theres a recycling scheme going that appears to be quite good, we cant have anything other than a normal bin because were a flat (i dont know how that works but it does annoy me)

anyway there are 2 bins, 1 for paper, plastic, metal and card and another for everything else.

i was at the site the other day and the things out of the recycling bin that gets wasted is very minimal, its just a few things that the machines dont recognise as anything else.

the stuff out the normal bins gets insinerated. the heat used to burn it creates loads of electricity (i cant remember the figures) and it creates practically no polution at all (less than the damage caused by a 5min fire work desplay in a whole year)
    i cant understand why the brits are so against incinoration its so much better than land fill
  • Options
    We've got a brown bin for garden waste like tree branches and grass and stuff, 2 black bins [6 of us] for normal rubbish, 2 black boxes for cans and bottles and the like, and not sure how often but they give you a green bag i think it is for clothes and so on.
  • Options
    We have a composter, and have a green box for tins, bottles and paper.

And nowhere to keep the green box.