Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A Poster i created

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hope this is the right place to post this but there doesnt seem to be an art style folder.

A couple of nights ago i couldnt sleep, and when you cant sleep you think a lot, least i do. Id been looking at someones deviantart page which is where i think this idea came from.

The idea was these posters about depression, as i lay there in bed these ideas came rushing towards me about how i could make these shock value style posters about depression.

And heres the creation of the first one. I will warn you now that if you dont like graphic depictions of illness or the quit smoking style shock value adverts then dont click the link below. Ive purposly made it not embeded for people who'd rather not see these type of adverts.

http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/8446/depressionposter17va.png

Id like some crtique on it, im personally not happy with the text at the bottom but i dont know how i should word it or lay that out, so any advice is very welcome.

Im gona make 2/3 more but actually need girls to photograph to do them, if your interested then you can always send me a PM, will buy you a drink as a thank you (im going to the london meet so you can always check me out and see im not a stalker there). Apart from that i just thought id show you lot something ive spent this morning doing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure you should advertise thesite like that without asking them first. Well done though.
  • Options
    I'm not sure you should advertise thesite like that without asking them first. Well done though.

The poster has only been displayed here, i never have any intention of actually printing it myself, ive just done it because...well because i can if that makes sense, i should have mentioned that. And the reason i used The Site apart from posting on here is because they offer some great advice, while other internet sites im not sure are 'trustworthy' for want of a better word.
  • Options
    i think there is too much writing on there and doesnt give a instant impact.

also i wouldnt bank on everyone (especially children as you mention in the writing) knowing what russian roulette was and therefore may not make any sense to some people.
  • Options
    I doubt a child knows what depression is and certainly i doubt they'd go to the doctors by themselves if they felt depressed, its just a quote i grabbed from a website. But like i said, im not happy with the text as it is, so if you got something better i can put in there then suggest away :)
  • Options
    i dont im afraid, luckily i have never suffered from depression, so i dont know what the crack is with it like, i just have a few ideas about the look of it, as ive said above. good luck with it tho
  • Options
    well.. i don't see how russian roulette relates to depression. because russian roulette suggests to me that someone is taking an uncalculated/stupid risk with their life or something.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    well.. i don't see how russian roulette relates to depression. because russian roulette suggests to me that someone is taking an uncalculated/stupid risk with their life or something.
    I concur... I don't see how it's relevant.

Also, the font at the top isn't that easy to read.
  • Options
    I like it, its quite striking. Certainly different
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:
    I will warn you now that if you dont like graphic depictions of illness or the quit smoking style shock value adverts then dont click the link below.

I was disapointed tbh, i was expecting a more hard hitting image that makes you think. not just a cg gun and a bit of blood.
    I also didnt think that advertising help for depression and (im guessing) suicide in the same poster isnt the best thing to do as it may well give people ideas... :rolleyes:

But still, i like the idea of what you're trying to do and i may make an attempt myself.
  • Options
    the idea about russian roulette is that you are risking your life if you dont do something about it, like there is a chance things could go worse for you, not everyone dies from depression unlike other illnesses as it affects everyone differently.
    icey wrote:
    I was disapointed tbh, i was expecting a more hard hitting image that makes you think. not just a cg gun and a bit of blood.
    I also didnt think that advertising help for depression and (im guessing) suicide in the same poster isnt the best thing to do as it may well give people ideas... :rolleyes:

But still, i like the idea of what you're trying to do and i may make an attempt myself.

What would you have liked to have seen thats hard hitting? I dont want to go for all out gruesome, want it to be eye grabbing and make you think. CG gun is there because i dont have access to a real revolver, so thats the easiest way to achieve what i want to.

About giving people ideas, one of my friends brought that up on msn, but you could put that towards anything, the car adverts show people driving fast before the knock someone over, doesnt make me want to go into a car and drive fast down the highstreet. Nor do the scenes of smokers with that fat coming out of their fags as they smoke, doesnt make me think want a fag, so i think something like that is quite subjective. Your imagination is more powerful than any advert i feel anyways.

But thanks for your comments as they give me stuff to think about.
  • Options
    its very bland, you should add more to it to make it look like an actual posters, ie some sort of design

the font at the top isnt very readable, which i think is pretty important

you could probably do something to spice up the text a bit at the bottom too

but then since this isnt really for anything it doesnt really matter that much i suppose
  • Options
    Well i had a go at my own and i must say, credit where credit is due - it is quite hard to trigger emotions using images so kudos to you :thumb: :D

My effort
  • Options
    Well done for trying icey, good effort.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Well i had a go at my own and i must say, credit where credit is due - it is quite hard to trigger emotions using images so kudos to you :thumb: :D

My effort

that's rather good that is, rather emotive and relevant :yes:
  • Options
    Right some of you mentioned you wanted to see something more hard hitting so hopefully this will be more emotive. Once again the same warning still stands if you dont like graphic depictions of illness or the quit smoking style shock value adverts then dont click the link below.

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4638/depressionroughcutv12bf.png

The one above is the colour version, which i kept in colour because i felt bits of it worked better, it hard more realism to it.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5061/depressionroughcutv2small2tg.png

This one here is the same as the one above but in black and white and only with the red in colour.

I WILL STRESS NOW BOTH PICTURES ARE FAKE. How i made them, i first started off with a photo of my normal arm on top of a book where id written a sorta diary page. I then, using PHOTOSHOP created the cuts to say the word depressed. This was done by using a wet brush and then using another spotty wet brush to create the cut like effects. Using a few other techniques such as burn and blurring i got them to look as if they were a part of the arm rather than just drawn on top. I added some redness to the sourrounding area of the arm to show stress had been placed there and then added some other smaller cuts to add to the words.

I think the effect has come off looking pretty real, and those that have seen it seem to agree. Only thing im not happy with is once again the text, really need to find something to replace that so once again if you have a good paragraph i could use then please do share!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i like the first one. :thumb:
  • Options
    I prefer the 2nd one.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what I think to be honest! The wording could be different, but it's obviously a first go.
  • Options
    Depression and self harm are not one and the same thing so the poster is a bit misleading, and apart from telling us that depression is common, I'm not sure what the purpose of the poster is. Also, the wording is a bit clumsy - I'd take out the word 'actually' and the exclamation mark.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Also, the wording is a bit clumsy - I'd take out the word 'actually' and the exclamation mark.

Agreed.
  • Options
    I want to change the wording totally if im honest, its more a place holder than anything because it doesnt really tell you anything interesting or helpful, it doesnt actually lead anywhere.

Depression and self harm are not the same thing, your right there, but to the layman, self harm/suicide/etc are often seen to be signs of depression, as is being gothy. Its sorta like playing on steroytypes.

In fact dictionary.com has this as one of the things that defines the word 'depression'

'A psychiatric disorder characterized by an inability to concentrate, insomnia, loss of appetite, anhedonia, feelings of extreme sadness, guilt, helplessness and hopelessness, and thoughts of death. Also called clinical depression.'
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:
    I want to change the wording totally if im honest, its more a place holder than anything because it doesnt really tell you anything interesting or helpful, it doesnt actually lead anywhere.

Depression and self harm are not the same thing, your right there, but to the layman, self harm/suicide/etc are often seen to be signs of depression, as is being gothy. Its sorta like playing on steroytypes.

In fact dictionary.com has this as one of the things that defines the word 'depression'

'A psychiatric disorder characterized by an inability to concentrate, insomnia, loss of appetite, anhedonia, feelings of extreme sadness, guilt, helplessness and hopelessness, and thoughts of death. Also called clinical depression.'
    I don't want to be too critical because this seems to be an interest of yours, but even self harm and suicide have differences, and to combine every mental health disorder into one just for the sake of simplicity is a bit pointless. Self harm isn't included in that definition of depression, and neither is "being gothy".

If you're serious about the subject, you should be getting your information from a recognised source such as ICD-10 rather than dictionary.com, and just because the "layman" doesn't know what self harm is all about doesn't excuse the provision of inaccurate information or the overuse of cliches.
  • Options
    I think when it comes to any sort of advertising you have to go after the lowest common denominator. Why do you think we have reality TV shows? Why do the smoking kills are created the way they are?

As it is things have to be displayed as rather black and white, many people dont read or look in detail at anything so unfortunatly you have to display things for them in a way you can understand. You could write thousands of pages about depression, doesnt mean anyone other than the intellectual will understand it.

Again, if you read any sort of newspaper, wether is the sun or the guardian, you'll find that everyone of their stories has a huge range of inaccuracys.

I totally understand what your saying, that you should inform as well as educate, but unfortuantly the world doesnt work like that, oh how to god i wish it did, instead it works like chantelle off Celebrity Big Brother. But thank you for your replies as they do make a lot of sense here.
  • Options
    i think icey's was the best!
  • Options
    I think the colour version you did NeoNero was fantastic!, what font did you use for the writing on the book behind the arm thats great.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence lipsy but i like this second attempt a lot more than i liked my own!
    The only thing i would maybe change is the word actually at the end of the sentence -
    Take that out and its perfect :thumb:
  • Options
    The font for the book? lol, umm the actual book i wrote on with a pen and just doodled, theres no font about it. So the way it was created was

1) draw and write onto pages of the book to make it look sorta diary like.
    2) place arm on top and photograph
    3) use photoshop to create the cuts and add in the scalpel and blood to the page.
  • Options
    nice :thumb: