Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting rid of a gut

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
My man has a gut. Its not the flabby saggy looking thing and that such, but it looks like he swallowed a basketball. He has quite a large stomache but its just round. I can't quite explain it any more, I hope you know what I mean. Anyways we go to the gym every other day but he does just smidgeon of cardo then does some weights on the stomache machines. But I don't think hes doing much in the general scheme of things to help. Do any of you have ideas?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If its on his stomach then I'd recomend getting an exercise mat and doing lots of different ab work - Not that this will help him lose the bulge, it'll just cause the muscles around it to tighten up and do a better job of hiding it. There are 3 main groups of the abdominals so just doing one type of ab exercise alone won't be enough to pull it ALL in. Upper abdominals, lower abdominals and obliques, all three need his equal attention.

When trying to blitz the last refuge of fat on my body (love handles) it was very hard going, the body will try and horde fat for times of need and you really have to work to shift it. Try getting him to do a day or two of cardio exercise rather then lifting (he can go back to his normal weight routine afterwards).

Get him to cut out the beer - Not only does it contain many calories but alcohol interfers with testosterone and the metabolism, making it harder to lose weight. Try taking in 500 fewers calories a day (another reason to skimp on weights and go for cardio) everyday until the gut disapears.
  • Options
    500 calories is WAAAAAAAAAY too low for any man.The minimum without exercise is about 1500 (I think).
    Abs work will DEVELOP stomach muscles but only by dieting and eating the right types of food will they show up.I have learnt this the hard way.... :banghead:
  • Options
    Mr Dea`th wrote:
    500 calories is WAAAAAAAAAY too low for any man.The minimum without exercise is about 1500 (I think).
    Try taking in 500 fewers calories a day (another reason to skimp on weights and go for cardio) everyday until the gut disapears.

;)
  • Options
    I meant 500 >fewer< then your normal intake.

Edit: Beat me to it :)
  • Options
    Ok Ok..........you got me.Time to stop speed reading...... :banghead:
  • Options
    Actually he doesn't drink.

The rest of him looks fine, hes got fine looking legs, arms, face, its just the tummy :p I was always taught a full body work out works the best even if just looking to lose in one section, but I dont know much :p
  • Options
    Working muscles will not burn the fat around the muscles. When cardio exercise is done fat is burned off from around the body in proportion.
  • Options
    If its just his tum, then I'd recommend eating the same amount of food, but in a more balanced diet, and do sit ups to turn the fat into muscle. If the rest of his body seems fine, then he probably isn't taking in that much over his recommended intake of calories, and might just need a bit of work on that problem area to tone it up a touch.
  • Options
    i would recommend swimming as a good way to lose the gut as it's a good overall cardio workout......
  • Options
    Sounds as if he does need to up his cardio workout. Weights are good for building and toning but running/swimming/cycling etc. are the way to loose the weight i'm afraid. He needs to do at least 20 mins of cardio to see a difference. I think it's usually said the above done 3 times a week will see a difference.