Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Argh help please with wireless connection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok just got a laptop and a wireless-g adsl home gateway so we can surf on both HOWEVER after spending fucking ages managing to finnaly get online on our main computer and get a network connection set up i cannot connect the laptop to the network HELP PLEASE. I have tired doing a flash transer of the details and its says it does it but its still not connected.

Comments

• Options
    Ok first of all try to get the network working on the laptop without any security option turned on, this will be easier than trying to get it working with security. Once you've got your unsecured connection you can put security on it and sort out your network keys and stuff.

Wireless networking should be pretty much point and shoot. There's not a lot of fiddling. Have you put the correct SSID in the laptop config?
  • Options
    i have turnt all that security off already. I put the SSID on the laptop and it wouldnt work so i thought rather than manual mistakes i would use the flash drive to transer the settings like it recommended but it still wont work.
  • Options
    lmao :o its ll sorted, i didn't have the wireless switch turn't on. :o
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    lmao :o its ll sorted, i didn't have the wireless switch turn't on. :o

That'd be important.

You should secure it now :D
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    That'd be important.

You should secure it now :D

lmao that will teach me to look at manuals!

Whats the best way of securing it? So it works lol
    Put firewall back on etc?
  • Options
    You need to make sure that your wireless has WEP or WPA encryption turned on, and you tick the box to hide the ssid. They should all be settings on the router, but you would need to put the keys in the clients too.

Then turn on any firewall option.
  • Options
    Thanks all this wireless stuff is new to me. I have put wep on, and the firewall.