Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wisdom teeth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I was at the dentist he told me I'd be needing to get my wisdom teeth out eventually as they had finally started to get clost to the top of the gums. They spent over 5 years in the exact same place. He said from the looks of them I had no worries about them shifting my teeth once they grew in. In fact, he said thats almost all the time a load of shit dentists tell people to get them out sooner. The main problem is that because of the position and the difficulty to reach them cavities form very easily in them. So he pretty much told me within the next 10 years I'd need them taken out :p

My parents want them taken out before the end of June. I'm on their insurance until then so it will all be free. I was thinking of getting it done when I had free time, not any time soon, closer to the June time than anything.

However, today I felt my upper right wisdom tooth. No matter how I stretch my mouth, I cant get a view of back there, but I can feel it. Alot. If I could see, I'm positive the white would be far out on a corner.

So my main question, do they hurt growing in? Should I get them removed asap or is the pain non existant and I can wait until later. As I've never felt any pain with this tooth thats growing.

Its weird, now that I know its there, I notice it. But if I didn't, I'd not feel it at all (as I can guess it didn't grow out that much in like 5 seconds :p )

Comments

• Options
    Aparently they do hurt for some people but mine are just starting to come through now and ive had no pain at all. Going to the dentist next week so hopefully i will be one of the lucky people who doesnt need them removing...
  • Options
    mine are similar to yours, but my bottom ones are kind of side ways :lol:

but not really growing, although they've come through more than last time I went to the dentists.

I really would rather not have to have them out though, would rather have as little surgery as possible in my life to be perfectly honest!
  • Options
    Mine have been bothering me for the past 6 months. Ranging from severe pain to a dull ache. Only the left side seem to be emerging so it looks like I'll have to go through it all again when the others begin sprouting. I've been using Bonjela and something else - has lidocaine in to try to numb the area. Also, when they're growing out, the gum may for a flap over the tooth and it's possible to get infections.

HAve them out and avoid the pain!
  • Options
    Ha Ha, I don't have any wisdom teeth!
  • Options
    ha ha, you will get them then. assuming you havent already
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think my dentist once said that I won't grow any... Possibly he meant they'll never come out.
  • Options
    My dad always said mine weren't coming in cuz I was dumb. I sure showed him :p
  • Options
    whats the point of wisdom teeth anyways?

To give oral surgeons a steady workload? :p

Question though, when I saw my dentist a couple months ago, he said that its common to det them taken out on friday and you'll be all ready to go back to work on monday.

Any experiences with that? I shouldn't need any more time off than that, eh?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Question though, when I saw my dentist a couple months ago, he said that its common to det them taken out on friday and you'll be all ready to go back to work on monday.

Any experiences with that? I shouldn't need any more time off than that, eh?

depends how manked they are. my non-manky one was sore for a day or two, and then right as rain. my really manky one made my whole face swell up like a chipmunk and stayed that way for at least a week. you could go back to work after a weekend, but you might look really stupid.
  • Options
    As you know (from my whinging on here) I've had mine out recently. When they were growing through they got infected and this hurt. Also they were growing into the sides of my cheeks and cutting in a bit which was very annoying.

Removal effects different people differently. I was adviced to take a week off. For me it was more the after effects of anesthetic that made me sleep and have no energy for a few days that I didn't like.
  • Options
    What do you mean by manky? The xrays showed that they were all coming in straight and not crowding and the one thas popped thru is not hurting or sticking out funny, is that good or do the xrays really not give you a good idea. I just asked for 6 days off work in march, i dont want to be greedy :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    What do you mean by manky?

mine was totally decayed, infected (root abcess) and the infection was spreading to my ear, gums and surrounding bit of jaw. it was impossible to clean properly cause it was so far back and pretty much covered, and they wouldn't take it out for 6 months after it started to hurt.
  • Options
    Oh my god I feel so bad for you! *scared now* :p
  • Options
    don't be scared, the operation is really straightforward. the recovery time isn't the best, but compared to the before, the pain i had post-op was next to nothing. i was a bit grumpy cause i couldn't eat properly, looked stupid and the antibiotics upset my guts, but other than that i felt like skipping and dancing down the street.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Mine came through when I was 14 and they didn't cause me any problems. I only had the two on the lower jaw.
    When I had my bike accident and broke my jaw, they took them out anyway. So now I have metal plates where my wisdoms once were.

Having you wisdoms out is nothing compared to the dental tortue I've been through over the years. :)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My wisdom teeth have been coming up for about 12 months now and they're pretty much all there now (all 4!). I had some trouble with one of them, which got infected and really hurt so had antibiotics for it - now it's fine. The only trouble I have is with eating nuts - they get stuck between my wisdom teeth and my cheek and really pinch!!!

I don't think I'll need to have them taken out. I hope not anyway....

Ilora x
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    icey wrote:
    ha ha, you will get them then. assuming you havent already

Nope :D

I had xrays and things when I had my brace and my dentist told me that I don't have any wisdom teeth at all. There just aren't any there that are about to form.

Apparently, the majority of people who have their wisdom teeth removed are those who have, for example, their bottom left tooth come through but not their top left. The bottom left has to be removed as it is biting into the gum.

But not everyone gets wisdom teeth.
  • Options
    my dentist also told me i would not have any and yet about 6 years later they came! :crazyeyes

but i have been one of the lucky ones - i have had all four removed but all of them where doen simply, in the dentist chair with nothing but an injeciton and thos plier thingees :p with my top ones, I had them out in the morning and was back at uni in the afternoon :D

however, i do know people who have had nightmares with theirs.... (including a friend who almost died because she had a reaction to the general anasthetic when having hers done by surgery :( )

lets just hope you dont need them out or you are lucky like me :)