Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pill Question?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My girlfriend got the pill today and we are a little confused as to when to have safe unprotected sex after shes taken it. She just came off her period and took the first one this morning, will she be protected straight away or will we have to wait the 7 days?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I started it, I was told to wait until the first day of my period.

She needs to read the insert of the pills, the leaflet thing. That should explain.
    Ok, ive spoken to her this morning and she said she took one yesterday as soon as she got them but she was off and it was the first day she came off. Now what should she do? continue taking them? or wait until she starts her period and start taking them again on the first day....?

Thank you :)
    She can continue taking them, but it means that you should use a condom for the next 7 days, this is the standard amount of time for most pill types. If she started on the first day of her period then she would have been safe straight away.
    Wait 7 days for unprotected sex, this is the general rule unless you begin on the FIRST day of her period. This is because there is a risk of ovulation, so take 7 pills and then you can do it.