Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Really confused.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got my half the part of my new braces today - and they are terrible! I have an excruciation toothache and I literally cannot eat anymore. I have tried and tried but I cant chew and the food always get stuck behind the braces.

The braces sit on the "roof" of the mouth. It curves down from one side of the mouth to the other. I will be getting the "train" braces - if that is what you call them. These lay on the surface of the teeth.

1) I cannot eat.
2) I will probably look like shit - I was going to ask someone out, but now I really feel down.
3) They are extremely uncomfortable.

I will be having these for two years - how will I solve this problem?

This is more of a rant though. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Options
    I knew tons of kids with braces, as I said my sister had them too. Not the roofy thing though. You'll get used to it. Of course it hurts right away. You'll get used to it. You don't see everybody else with braces starving to death. Just give it time and the pain will go away and they will be comfortable.

If your not born with it, perfect teeth come with a price. But teeth are a very important thing. IMO, a persons teeth, the crookedness, color, shape, size everything really aids in a persons aperance.

And just think of the lovely teeth you'll have after!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    You don't see everybody else with braces starving to death.

Nobody I know has the "roof" braces. That's how they lure death.

I'll be eating soup for two years. Perhaps the toothache will go away, but then the food will get stuck. Other people with braces have worse teeth than me, but I don't see them getting the "special" treatment. :(
  • Options
    I had some friends way back when with the roof thingy. They got over it too ;), give it just a couple days. Less than a week.

Think of the results though! :hyper:

And plus, if its anything like over here, i'm sure in time you'll appreciate that your parents spent thousands of [insert your currency] on it.
  • Options
    I had the roof braces and "train tracks".
    You get used to them after a few days. Of course they're going to be a pain in the ass at first.
    Can you take the roof braces out? or are they the permanant ones?
    I could take the roof braces out when eating and the "traintracks" didn't bother me at all after I got used to them. You just have to brush your teeth after you eat because food does get stuck in them but you're suposed to do that with them anyway.
  • Options
    the pain will subside. and you will get used to them... it just takes a bit of time t'is all. :)
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Can you take the roof braces out? or are they the permanant ones?

Permanent ones unfortunately.

I haven't got the rail tracks on yet. I'm sure they'll be nothing compare to this.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Permanent ones unfortunately.

I haven't got the rail tracks on yet. I'm sure they'll be nothing compare to this.

Evil! I feel for you!
    You will get used to them. Might just take a while.
    Good luck! :thumb:
  • Options
    when i first had my braces put on, it hurt really bad for the first 3 or 4 days, cus they're re-shaping ur teeth. But after that it just feels normal. everytime u go bk to get them tightened they hurt for a couple of days after tho :grump: but this gets less the longer u have them on. I had mine for a year, and they when they were taken off it felt so wierd I wanted them back! lol. Just focus on how amazing your teeth are going to be after, it's really worth it
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    I'm sure they'll be nothing compare to this.

Don't count on it mate! I had them for 2 years and they were a right pain. The worse thing was going to have them made tighter, twas painful
  • Options
    I had 'train track' braces for two years between 16 and 18. I was amazed at how little they hurt and I'm usually a complete wimp when it comes to anything even mildly uncomfortable! Sure, they felt a little weird for the first few days, and like you couldn't bite anything cos the slightest bit of pressure could be felt all through your head(!) but it really wasn't that bad. The day I had them put on, I wasn't going to go back to college in the afternoon cos I thought it would hurt too much, but I was so surprised how easy it all was, I went back in. Was really surprised at how many people didn't actually notice I'd had them put on until I pointed them out!

One bit of advice, when you finally get them all taken off and get the 'gum shield' type retainers to wear for a while.. please please wear them!! I didn't wear mine for as long as I should have and I regret it now - my front teeth have parted a bit (even tho that wasn't the orginal problem!) and I really wish I'd done as I was told and kept them on :(
  • Options
    I had a plate (think it was the same as the one you are describing) then I had "train tracks" for about 3 years. I know its sore but its worth it in the end, trust me. I just got mine off September past and my teeth look fab now.
  • Options
    You'll probably get used to them duck... it is a bit tricky to eat and stuff first. I always used to spend about an hour clenchig and unclenching my jaw when I first got a brace or got it tightened... it kills like hell but it speeds up the process of being able to use your mouth properly again.

And don't let it get you down... just cos you've got a bit of metal in your mouth doesn't mean you can't ask someone out!

At the end of the day, it's worth the end result. :)
  • Options
    Yep... everyones pretty much covered it here...

I had it really bad... I had extream over crowding to the point where I had 2 teeth behind the front row of teeth.

I had the braces you have now for 3 years, and then train tracks for 2 years... before they could do that though, I needed 6 baby teeth and 4 adult teeth removed over a period of a few months...

All in all a very painfully and crap experience... BUT after it was all done, I have very nice straight teeth now, and im glad of it, you get used to waring them and its all worth it in the end!
  • Options
    I had 4 adult teeth removed to put my train tracks on and that was painful enough. Having the braces taken off was one of the worst parts. You get used to waering them after a ciuple of weeks, just remember to keep them clean and use mouthwash if you finds it makes a difference.

I have to have two wisdom teeth taken out in a few months, and I'am NOT looking forward to, particually as I have to have it done under general anathestic.