Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

2 workout questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First, lately I've been hearing alot about cardio and if you don't work in your recomended target heart rate range then your not working out to your full extent, whether it be cardio or fat burn. Now my problem is I can never get my thr. For the maxium cardio, I should be at about 175ish. However, after only 5 minutes of walking at 3mph, my heart rate skyrockets to 185-190. This is normal for me I guess. There is nothing wrong with me, I asked the dr and thats just always how its been. So to keep in my target rate I might as well be sitting flexing my fingers. Am I still getting a proper cardio workout even though I'm far exceding the recomended rate?

And also, can you work out too much? I feel better than ever, just happy, off the wall and excelent after I work out, so for about the past month I work out cardio and resistance m w f and on t f s I do yoga. So, can you?

Comments

• Options
    it's possible, but probably only through exhauston/dehydration, so you're pretty safe :)
  • Options
    interesting

thats interesting
    im a swimmer. and i was running to get my heartrate up recently. being 17, and in perfect shape, i was surprised. my pulse is usually around 55-65, and i couldn't get it past 160 running at an incline for 30 minutes.

i have heard that the higher you can get it the faster, the more in shape you are.
    you may want to check your blood pressure and make srue that its not too high when at rest. but i doubt there is any problem. your just in shape!

as for working out to much. yes, you can work out to much. i believe the way to find out is, check your pulse before you work out, and then right before you go to bed. if it's higher than normal, you're probably working out to hard. your body needs to recover.
  • Options
    Second question: Yes - you can work out too much. Infact, more and more people are becoming (seriously) addicted to exercise (like a form of anorexia). But from the sounds of it you are doing just the right ammount. You only need worry about rest days and such if you are lifting weights. You do yoga? Something I've never been able to do /jealous.

First question: Don't worry too much about heart rates. I think formulas ruin it for everyone. We;re all different, would a single set of rules apply to us? Nope. Go at your own pace. Try and get it so you are flushed and sweating, but able to talk normally. If you want more intensity then just push harder.
  • Options
    If you start feeling tired,irritable,have trouble sleeping and have no energy you are overworking it.
    Heart rates.........how long do you run for?For decent cardio you should run for 20-45mins,preferably at 60-80% of your max heart rate.
    (Max heart rate is 220 minus yor age.For any who didnt know :thumb: )
    Take your heart rate for 30secs before you run then take it again after youv finished and see how long it takes to go back to your normal heart rate before it began.The faster it returns to normal the fitter you are.
  • Options
    Its a normal resting rate and it goes back to normal pretty quick and nothing is wrong with me else wise. I feel like I"m getting a good workout and I can still hold a conversation while I am doing so. I just got questionable when I see all the signs all around the gym about "jims burning calories, sara's just burning time" on the heart rate advertisements, then when the machines keep yellingn at me to slow down when I'm 5 minutes into it becasue they think i'm moments away from a heart attack :p

But thank you all. very helpful.
  • Options
    The more you excercise the lower your heartrate will be.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The more you excercise the lower your heartrate will be.

Not for me though, a few years ago when I was a multi sport girl , work out every day for 2ish years and stuff, I was dead fit, but I still had the same heartrate issues I do now. I would just barely start and it would be the same.

I just wanted to make sure that, although the ads/machines and everything else tell me I'm not working smart, that I was in fact making a difference.
  • Options
    Well then you know that the answer is don't you? Multi-sport girl has high heartrate, so it doesn't matter that you have a high heartrate now. Just that you're going at pace not sprinting.