Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Congestion charges really a good idea?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know London has had this for a time. Stockholm has now enforced congestion charges, which has cost the government a lot. What I fail to understand is why put such large amounts of money on that when other sources are in greater need.

Education, hospitals, you name it. The education over here (most) is poor and the hospitals even worse. I can see promises and promises by the political parties, but are they ever carried out?

They say that the amount of traffic in Stockholm will decrease by 5%.

Five billion SEK per year - £368,017,101 - is the money lost by congestion in Stockholm every year.

Quite funny though, the leading party (Social Democrats) was pressured into gaining The Greens side in the parliament.

Are you for congestion or not? How is it working in London?

Comments

• Options
    Not had any personal experience with it myself, but it seems a bit stupid that 75% of the money made from the scheme, goes towards running it in the first place. And it seems ironic that the only people who can afford it are the same people who can afford £50k off-road vehicles and other such vehicles that cause lots of pollution (the type of people who will drive into work on their own).
  • Options
    Not sure how it is in London but id hate to have it up here!
  • Options
    Yes, I'm glad it's in Stockholm and not in Gothenburg.

However, I use public transport anyway when I'm heading to town.
  • Options
    So far it is working very well. I am not entirely convinced about the Western extension. If it means anyone living there can now drive to Central London it might actually be counter productive.

But overall, very happy with the CC. The much trumpeted traffic chaos and economic collapse has failed to materialise and Central London is cleaner, healthier and less congested for it.
  • Options
    When ever I'm heading into central London I use public transport as it is a lot cheaper in the long run to pay £4.70 for a one day travelcard on my Young persons' railcard then it is to drive and be charged £8 to enter the zone then find somewhere to park, which would cost about at least £1 an hour. Even when I come up from Kent by train and buy a ticket that includes a travelcard it only costs my about £8.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    When ever I'm heading into central London I use public transport as it is a lot cheaper in the long run to pay £4.70 for a one day travelcard on my Young persons' railcard then it is to drive and be charged £8 to enter the zone then find somewhere to park, which would cost about at least £1 an hour. Even when I come up from Kent by train and buy a ticket that includes a travelcard it only costs my about £8.
    And you'd be lucky to find anywhere that charges £1 an hour. Going rates are about £2.40 to £4+ per hour on the street, or a whole lot more for private parking.
  • Options
    There is a carpark i know which is about 2 miles from the zone which is only £1.10 or £1.20 and hour depending on if its a weekday or weekend. My day parks ther when he sometimes comes by car, as the trains are not working.
  • Options
    That's certainly cheap by London's standards.

Westminster meters charge upwards of £4 per hour.

Some ticket-dispensing machines now accept credit cards. That's all you need to know...
  • Options
    I know why do you think we use it, but it is about 15 minutes from central London by tube.
  • Options
    They are a great idea. The congestion charging in Durham has doen wonders for the mediaeval heart of the city, and it's actually possible to walk around it without getting run over.
  • Options
    I'm all for congestion charges, London has the underground and buses so you don't need a car.
  • Options
    Just ban cars (within some rules, maybe) in the zone. Much fairer.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Just ban cars (within some rules, maybe) in the zone. Much fairer.

I think this is better.

All congestion charging in large zones does is keep the roads clear for the rich. Which is morally and ethically wrong.

keeping cities clean and clear for people is important, but I do find something a bit odious about making someone pay twice for the same bit of road, to be quite honest.

On balance its better than not having it, but it does mean only the poor get turfed on to the tube.
  • Options
    Definitely a good thing. People who have to pay it think it's bad, but like Moonrat said, London has more than enough public transport, and you don't need to drive.
  • Options
    Now they just need to add an additional charge for Chelsea tractors, and everyone's happy. :)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But overall, very happy with the CC. The much trumpeted traffic chaos and economic collapse has failed to materialise and Central London is cleaner, healthier and less congested for it.
    Yes, I agree. It makes people use public transport more or make journeys at off peak hours whenever possible.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Now they just need to add an additional charge for Chelsea tractors, and everyone's happy. :)

Yep, the said drivers of Chelsea tractors most of all.

Less of us plebs clogging up the road.
  • Options
    Unfortunately it hits the poorest the hardest. If we had a cheaper and better public transport system and if it (CC) wasn't run by a private company, I'd be more in favour of it. As it is, its highly flawed and run by Crapita for a profit. Not good.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Unfortunately it hits the poorest the hardest. If we had a cheaper and better public transport system and if it (CC) wasn't run by a private company, I'd be more in favour of it. As it is, its highly flawed and run by Crapita for a profit. Not good.
    It's more expensive to use the tube to work everyday than drive?
  • Options
    It's more expensive to use the tube to work everyday than drive?

When you add up the expense, the inconvenience (you never know when they're going to suspend tube services due to equipment failures) and the fact that big areas of south London aren't on the tube, then yes.
  • Options
    Well in pure economical terms driving is rather more expensive. On an average month of 22 working days, you are already looking at £176 for the CC alone. Add petrol (say £50 for a month?) and even without parking expenses you're looking at £225+. If you have to pay for parking as well add another £100 to £300 to that.

Public transport is nowhere near that. A monthly 1-3 zone travelcard is around £102 or so.

The problem is people who already could afford commuting into London (i.e. spending thousands of Pounds a year in parking alone) are likely to be very wealthy and not deterred by the CC. For all I know their company pays for it.

But what the CC does is stop many casual visitors who would drive into London out of laziness to do a bit of shopping or to visit something or someone. That is rather selfish when there is a perfeclty decent public transport available.
  • Options
    The congestion charging zone is very small though at the moment.
  • Options
    I always though that London transport was dead good. Buses or tube.

Public transport is alright here, but doesn't really compare. Well, it should be better in London, they spend something like 3x the amount per head on it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    you never know when they're going to suspend tube services due to lazy staff not turning up for work

Good to see you agree;)

Public transport is prohibitvely expensive. It is in London, and it is even more so out of London. We have a PTE similar to TfL, and still a return to town (4 miles away) by Cuntcoach is a bargain £2.70. Two singles is a pocket-friendly £3.40. I could drive there and back ten times for that in my little Fiesta.

As for people travelling to London from here, I could drive there and back twice, pay the CC and park for the same price it would vost me, the wife and two kids by train.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Good to see you agree;)
    :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Good to see you agree;)

Ha ha.
  • Options
    congestion charges

Whilst Transport for London are responsible for the scheme, the operation is sub contracted to an outside company. From the scheme's inception, Capita Group have been responsible for the day to day operation under a five year contract worth around £230m.

Having been threatened with the termination of the contract by the Mayor for poor performance, when the zone was extended, Capita were awarded an extension to the original contract up until February 2009 to cover the expanded zone.

my personal feelings on congestion charges and zones are just stupid what is the point of have to charge people to drive through a street then why do they put the road there in the first place.

if the goverment wants us to pay so much to pay for petrol/diesel which the prices of are going on the rise then why do they want us to pay for driving them in the first place then why do we buy cars? Why do we pay £50 of our money to pay for a fast journey? to get there quicker by 10 minutes. is it really worth it?

I ask you that question...
  • Options
    all they need to do is employ 10 snipers, people can drive around as freely as they want, it's just that every day 10 random car drivers will be killed - just to make sure people get the message employ 100 to kill 100 for the first 6months - would clear the roads nicely.....
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Nice to bring back an old thread with a post of little influence.