Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

help problem child

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi i am new here i need a little help i have a three year old that is bad tempered moody self opinionated i can be very agressive. i ahve tried alsorts to help change this including diet and taking things away from her but nothing is working is there any one out there that can give me some advice

Comments

• Options
    have you tried ignoring him? children sometimes misbehave to seek attention. try the 'naughty step' idea, put him there and leave him but be firm, dont give in if he looks at you with big eyes lol (i dont have any children but i have childcare qualifications)
  • Options
    try a parenting forum.

www.parentslounge.co.uk is really good.
  • Options
    she might be moody beacuse she doesn't get enough sleep. have you tried putting her to bed earlier, giving her naps during the day etc.?
  • Options
    is it a boy or a girl? there are multiple reasons why a child may misbehave. is he/she at nursery? do they eat a balanced diet?
  • Options
    you need to discipline her.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    you need to discipline her.

not always that simple im afraid
  • Options
    hmm you say you've tried cutting things out of its diet, make sure you're cutting out things like e numbers & artificiall sweeteners, they can make kids hyper :yes:
  • Options
    Hi thank you for your advice, she does have a naughty step and spend a large amount of time on it. she does go to bed early about 7pm and also has a mid day nap she is at playschool and is there 5 days a week, as for her diet i hve tried the additive free stuff and such as i have a step son with ADHD ADD and a few other things so the diet and normal stuff kind of come secound nature to me the thing is she just doesn't take any notice, I thought that it could be picking up behaviour from her older siblings but she hardly sees her brother and her sister is the exact opposite, i am out of idea's
  • Options
    How do you act when you get upset? From watching a lot of these childrens behavioural programmes its often a change from yourself that will change the behaviour in your children.
  • Options
    if i get cross or very angry i just walk out the room leave herfor a few minutes screaming and paddying and then go and ask her if she is finished. some times it works but some times i ahve to put her to bed and let her cry her self to sleep. what gets me is she is very remorseful sfter but she will do the exact same thing the next day it as if she doesn't know she has done wrong
  • Options
    are u sure she sleeps at playschool? i work in one and most of them only have children sleep during the day if they are under three. is there much of an age gap between the siblings? is your daughter doing too many hours at school perhaps and maybe feels deprieved of ur time?
  • Options
    my little girl is nearly 3, 3 in march and she only does 9.20 till 11.50 and she has me all to her self till the ealdest one comes home at 3.15 so she isnt deprived of my time. well at least i dont think she is
  • Options
    there are different rules for different ages. i would reccomend you buy or borrow a copy from the library of Jo Frost's book "supernanny". it explains possible reasons behinds children's behaviour depending on their age.

Robert Winston also did an experiment on an unruly child of that age where he got the mother to give the child a daily dose of fish oil (omega3and 6) and it calmed the child down enormously. you can get it in the bassets soft and chewy vitimin range now.

of course, it could simply be down to not enough physical activity outdoors due to the weather - this has also been scientifically proven to have an effect on childrens behaviour. Do not underestimate the power of fresh air and a bit of running around! :)
  • Options
    if i get cross or very angry i just walk out the room leave herfor a few minutes screaming and paddying and then go and ask her if she is finished. some times it works but some times i ahve to put her to bed and let her cry her self to sleep. what gets me is she is very remorseful sfter but she will do the exact same thing the next day it as if she doesn't know she has done wrong
    Thats because shes not even three yet.
    Keep going and she will get the idea. Its a long boring annoying painful process teaching children how to behave. I think you sound like youre doing all the right things. Just keep going.
    Shes probably not even remorseful tbh, just upset that youre upset.
    Parenting is thankless, especially at this age.
  • Options
    Thank you rainbow & emily , i think the problem is that her sister nearly six was never like it and i think it has hit me like a bolt out of the blue i know that no to children are alike but these are complete oposits. and i also no that i should not compare them because they are so diffrenti will keep trying and thank you all for your help. I found this site by accident but i am pleased i did
  • Options
    You should watch 'House of Tiny Tearaways'.... Although I believe it's finished till next series.

Here is information http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/tiny_tearaways/index.shtml

Dr Tanya Byron knows her stuff!