Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Make up brushes..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
..What are the best ones?

I'm after all the fancy ones because I'm all for doing really fancy make up from now on, and not just with the wee daft spongey applicator that comes with the eyeshadows.

I'm thinking MAC or Benefit, but I need to see how much they'll be. Whoever gets my custom next week in Boots or Frasers will make themselves a pretty penny because I'm spending at least £50 on new make up since I've had mine for about 3 years. :|

Comments

• Options
    I would say MAC as well, in the counter in Belfast if you book in to get your make up done (costs £25) but you get to redeem that on the products. Im thinking about doing that for Valentines, and buying a good brush with the credit. The blusher brushes are about £25 at least though.

I've had a set I got free with a Boots promotion thing 2 years ago, I really should invest in some new tools coz I think all the muck on them is making my face break out :(
  • Options
    I use the MAC ones, they've been with me for about 4 years now with no problems :)
  • Options
    I was planning to go for MAC ones anyways. ;D Was just wondering if that was the wisest decision :hyper:

Seems t'be! Cool!
  • Options
    The Body Shop do a good foundation brush and Ruby and Millie do good brushes also I believe
  • Options
    MAC brushes are awesome, although will cost you a pretty penny - a bit more than £50 if you want all of the necessary ones. The UK version of MAC's site isn't running yet, but the US version shows you all the makeup brushes available:
    Here

Brushes are perhaps the most important part of any woman's makeup ritual. They are what give you refined look - you won't get that look with applicator sponges :eek: Yuck.

Ilora x
  • Options
    £50 isn't going to get you a lot from MAC or Benefit but if that's the most you want to spend try the Body Shop. I absolutely love their brushes and have found them better than the Benefit ones I paid a fortune for!
  • Options
    sod that. I put eyeshadow on with my fingers :D
    actually, i have one makeup brush that is an eyeshadow brush, i got it from boots for about a fiver which i thought was extortionate. its by cosmopolitan (the magazine brand - they must have branched out) and i must admit its pretty good and i use it when i can be bothered. Ive had it over a year and its still as good as new.
    I dont think you have to use brushes to get a good effect, its just down to personal choice. i find my fingers easier to control than a brush. The lady who does the makeovers at the benefit counter in town says she uses her fingers for her own makeup too.
  • Options
    im like u rainbrow brite, i use my fingers, but use a miners brush for blending!
  • Options
    I'm after wearing looks like this on a regular basis, because I'm in this habit now of wanting to dress and look more girlie and avoid the nasty studenty look of jeans and trainers.

I want looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/d133/divshit/glam01.jpg

and

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/ender_x/Makeuptut1/tut16.jpg

Not as dramatic, on a day-to-day basis, but similar.

I'll be spending at LEAST £50 in MAC.
  • Options
    you don't have to spend a fortune to get decent make-up brushes. often i'd tend to think you were just paying for the name and could get something of the same quality for half the price.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_list_endeca_template.jsp?classificationid=1011816
  • Options
    those eye make-up pics are ace - where are they from, bcos id love to know how to do eyeshadow like that!
  • Options
    those eye make-up pics are ace - where are they from, bcos id love to know how to do eyeshadow like that!

http://community.livejournal.com/makeuptutorials/

You need to have an LJ account to join because the posts of tutorials are "friends/members-only". :)
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    http://community.livejournal.com/makeuptutorials/

You need to have an LJ account to join because the posts of tutorials are "friends/members-only". :)

God, Becky. There's some amazing stuff on there! Nice one. :D
  • Options
    for that sort of look id be tempted to use eyeshadow crayons, or cream eyeshadow underneath blended with a cotton bud type applicator. For the top bit id use me good ol` finger :)
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    £50 isn't going to get you a lot from MAC or Benefit but if that's the most you want to spend try the Body Shop. I absolutely love their brushes and have found them better than the Benefit ones I paid a fortune for!

yes, yes! i have a concealer brush from there that i've had over 5 years and is still going strong. cleans up nicely with a dab of baby shampoo and then it's good to go again.

i got my powder brush free with something, and it's shit quality, but it works fine.

for everything else i use artist's brushes. you can get amazing quality ones for a fraction of the price of the make up ones, and they're just the same. i just use soft acrylic craft brushes for eyes - i have a little flat sturdy one that i use as an eyeliner brush, and a big, soft blendy one. they were about £2 each and are really well made and kind to your skin.
  • Options
    yay, and then spend the rest of the money on sweets :yippe:
  • Options
  • Options
    Just been on the boots website and noticed that No7 have a 3 for 2 on make up brushes.