Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is the medical field seeking out hypocondriachs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just saw a commercial for "restless leg syndrom" http://www.rls.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?&pid=178&srcid=-2 This really has to be a joke. Restless legs? Come on. Are they going to have a daily medication to prevent for when your hand falls asleep now?

Comments

• Options
    my_name wrote:
    I just saw a commercial for "restless leg syndrom" http://www.rls.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?&pid=178&srcid=-2 This really has to be a joke. Restless legs? Come on. Are they going to have a daily medication to prevent for when your hand falls asleep now?
    Restless legs is a rotten thing to have, I got it randomly when I was pregnant, it's actually really uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I get restless legs too, my god, just the other day I begged my boyfriend to just punch me in the calves because it hurt, I had to walk out of the resturant because I couldn't sit there, but is it really a big medical condition? When we saw this comercial he laughed so hard at me because he said I should talk to my Dr and I was laughing to tears because somebody even came up with it. Should there really be a daily medication for this? Restless legs for godsake.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I get restless legs too, my god, just the other day I begged my boyfriend to just punch me in the calves because it hurt, I had to walk out of the resturant because I couldn't sit there, but is it really a big medical condition? When we saw this comercial he laughed so hard at me because he said I should talk to my Dr and I was laughing to tears because somebody even came up with it. Should there really be a daily medication for this? Restless legs for godsake.
    If there are people who suffer from it on a regular basis then I suppose, it stopped me sleeping quite a few times. Im pretty sure if I had it bad then I'd be looking for some kind of medication to help the situation.

But I can see the point your making :)
  • Options
    Eh you've got quite a point too, make life comfortable, eh ;) It just seemed like the oddest funniest thing. I just think, well hey, who doesn't get restless legs :p
  • Options
    They even have "Acid reflux disease"

It's quite incredible how much bull they will toss at us just to make some money. The medical field is really targeting and not just seeking.
  • Options
    junker wrote:

It's quite incredible how much bull they will toss at us just to make some money. The medical field is really targeting and not just seeking.

That is a real disease. It is an umbrella term for a variety of disorders.
  • Options
    Both conditions are real.
  • Options
    i get this restless leg syndrome too and it is really annoying. i do agree that it sounds funny though - i didnt know it existed before but my boyfriend read about it and said that sounds exactly like what I have. When he told me about it, i just laughed and thought he was making it up! :p
  • Options
    junker wrote:

A girl I knew had that really badly, the acid would sort of jump up into her throat burning it. She had a nightmare time keeping anything down and her throat burned all the time.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i have just started getting something like this. did think i was going barmy...however, i do think its due to my lack of lifting my arse off the settee! and im hoping thats what it is anyways!