Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trying out looks online

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm bored as can be with the way I look at the moment and I want to shake it up a bit - dye my hair, possibly get a nose ring, but I don't want to take the plunge without some idea of how it will look.

I've looked for sites online where you can upload a photo of yourself and then try different looks on it, but they all seem to charge you for it. Anyone know of any that are free?

Also any ideas of how I can add some interest and change my look a bit - this is how I look now:

Comments

• Options
    hm, well your hair is quite frizzy, maybe get it treated to make it softer and styled differently? try different makeup looks too. i'm forever playing around with makeup
  • Options
    I'm bored as can be with the way I look at the moment and I want to shake it up a bit - dye my hair, possibly get a nose ring, but I don't want to take the plunge without some idea of how it will look.

I've looked for sites online where you can upload a photo of yourself and then try different looks on it, but they all seem to charge you for it. Anyone know of any that are free?

Also any ideas of how I can add some interest and change my look a bit - this is how I look now:

I wouldn't suggest a nose ring, don't think it'd suit you at all.

Better off de-frizzing your hair and going for the dye if you want to re-vamp your look.
  • Options
    How about straightening you hair and adding some bits of colour, i think toffee colours, or warm caramel colours would look quite nice and that would be quite a change. Also if you go to the makeup counters they have in boots or department stores they an show you how to put your makeup on and what suits you and what not so it might be worth a look see.
    Also maybe how about getting your eyebrows re-shaped as that can open up your whole face, but them i am rather fussy about eyebrows and tweezer-age :p
  • Options
    I think a nose ring/stud would suit you, if you think you'd like it then go for it.

Your hair is gorgeous as it is, I think it'd be a bit of a shame to straighten it but maybe you could get the curls relaxed (if that's possible, I could've just made that up!) so they're a bit looser or something? I agree with beans that a toffee or caramel would be a good change, maybe get highlights and a few lowlights too for natural-looking variation.

I think changing your image is probably best done in stages, so maybe go for the hair change first and then think about piercings etc. Or the other way round. Either way I demand pictures when you've done the revamp. ;)

Oh, I don't know about online image sites...I think style.com used to have one. A quick google search should turn something up! :D
  • Options
    oooh i love your hair. I wouldnt straighten it, id maybe dye it a more chocolatey brown, and maybe intensively condition it.
    nose stud would look better than a ring i think.
  • Options
    keep the curls, makes a change to see someone with non-poker straight hair

Some different coloursput through it would look good or maybe a different all over colour, but its not really needed. your hair is interesting enough as it is! I'd reccomend smoothing fructis hair serum through your hair while its still wet and then twisting it to lay the way you want it then let it dry on its own. Will get rid of the frizz

i think the piercing would suit you
  • Options
    Yeah it's been a while since I used any serums etc. on my hair, I tend to be so busy these days that I just wash it and work a bit of mousse into it. Really need to get back to actually taking a bit of time.....!!

I like the idea of caramels and toffees and blondes, maybe will go buy a ring and balance it to see what I'd look like, as google's only bringing up sites that cost a tenner!
  • Options
    You could try going into a hairdressers for a consultation (these are usually free) and asking them what would suit you and what they would recommend (IMO as others have said, I would keep the curls, it makes a change from poker straight hair which everyone has these days.)
  • Options
    Oh lordy lordy, there's no way I'm straightening it - I love my head-craziness and I look like Dougal from the magic roundabout with it straight!!
  • Options
    i love love the curls, just a wee bit of frizz-control stuff will sort them right out. your colour is nice now, but for a subtle change, i've always liked the way highlights look in curly hair - way more interesting than in straight. caramel-colour hightlights, and maybe a few darker brown lowlights would look really nice. still natural, but just a wee bit more interesting.

a nose ring might suit you, but i'm not really a great fan. i had one once for a few months and it was just a mighty faff. if you did get one i think a tiny stud would look better than a huge ring.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    £180 for a spiral perm

:eek:

does it seriously cost that much?! Blimey, just go buy some perming lotion and some curlers from superdrug!
  • Options
    I agree with the treating your hair but not straightening it.
    As for the nose ring, I don't think you'd suit it but you could get a fake/clip on one and try it out, see what you think :)
  • Options
    I agree with "keep the curls". To look after them- get them sniped by a hairdresser who has curly hair, they'll know how to keep the length whilst making it look neat. Nod and smile though if they want you to buy products 'and keep your purse in your pocket!' Get yourself to the drug store? and one by one try out a few anti-frizz products. When your hair is wet, comb out the tangles (never brush), add a rather large blob of product, ever-so-slightly finger tousle the curls seperate and then LEAVE IT TO DRY. That is, do NOT touch it again. If you can find an afro-hair care shop you'll find the serums and leave-in lotions come in massive bottles for bargain prices (smell them first though because some are offputting). I've found that fingering through some lotion when soaking wet and then scrunch mousing ever-so-slightly when just wet creates the perfect curls. With curly hair, the shaft is drier, even if the roots aren't, because the natural hair oil don't travel down the shaft so well. Becasue of this you should wash it less often, which means you need a strategy to make it beautiful when you haven't just washed it. Try taking a section from either side of your head, above your ears, twist and join them at the back with a bobble or plait. Remember, even though curly hair may look courser it is actually weaker than straight hair so treat it gently! This is because of its structure, every curly is a turning point, the turn points are weak spots. My day-before-washing remedy is... a hat. lol all curlies should be with me on this one?

I think you should play on your colouring- the black top you're wearing is good for making you look pale and delicate but you could also make some really dramatic statements with your clothes and/or makeup too. The shape of your eyes is super- I'm soooooo jealous, I've just got froggy sticky out blobs. If you shape your brows and use eyeliner, they could be so dramatic!

Dunno bout the nose stud, up to you, I like piercings but think nose ones always look like they should make the person want to sneeze all the time.

Post a pic after your makeover too

x
  • Options
    Ooh I'm all for your curls! I think shorter layers on top, and get a deep conditioning into it once a week.

I'd suggest maybe some parting to the side? Your forehead looks a bit bare, and with your lovely curls I think yuo'd look fab with a side fringe, or at least some hair falling toward your face.

Nose ring, hrm. I dunno. I think you'd look like a Greenpeace activist, but try it anyways!

G'luck!
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Agree with everyone about keeping the curls- i'm about to pay £180 for a spiral perm possibly- it's so expensive because my hair is quite long.

Just be really careful, i had a spiral done and it ruined my hair for the next 5 years. The perm was so harsh when i'd had it all done it snapped off the top layer of my hair and turned it into frizz :crying:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    hm, well your hair is quite frizzy, maybe get it treated to make it softer and styled differently? try different makeup looks too. i'm forever playing around with makeup

You took the words right out of my mouth :p