Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Faulty Laptop Keyboard

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All,

I've had my Sony Vaio for about 18 months and now have a broken keyboard (the 'e' key stopped working, after a bit of investigation it 'fell off' ;) ) I did send it away to be fixed but after hearing how much the cost had gone up from the original quote I didn't get it fixed. On return of the laptop I found that the whole keyboard is now not working. Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to fix it, or know of anywhere that has replacement keyboards for Sony Vaio PCG-K215M models (I've tried searching everywhere!)

I would be so grateful for any help.

Comments

• Options
    my sony vaio did exactly the same. cost me £170 to get it fixed. needless to say, 12 months down the line, the same thing happened again. i just bought a new one - will never touch vaio again.
  • Options
    Christ, cunts.

They won't sell you a new keyboard (if it's out of guarantee), you have to have a fucking engineer to fit it (and charge you). Dell did this once. £400+ for a new keyboard, because the utter scum wouldn't sell you one without a mong to fit it.
  • Options
    http://www.partstore.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductSKU=8096636&s=shopping.com

Should be a like-for-like replacement part. DON'T quote me. I have no manuals for Sony laptops, so this has been tracked down by trawling the internet.

At that price, compared to what else has been quoted in this thread, I'd be inclined to take the gamble...

For what it is worth, Sony are pretty shoddy these days IMO. Support on their computers has always been rather poor. In the late 90's, when I worked part time in a TV/audio store, 90% of our faulty goods were Sony products.

I have one item in my life made by Sony - the wonderful TCK-661S cassette deck. Thoroughly cracking piece of kit - remarkable audio quality. The best reproduction I've ever heard using cassette tapes - even beating the legendary Nakamichi decks. It has never, ever given me a moments grief - but I've probably played ten cassettes in the last 3 years.

I'd be very inclined to steer clear of Sony products, if I could.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your help people. I'll check that site out.

Tiny Titch, do you remember where you got it fixed or where it was somewhere local?
  • Options
    Hmm, I knew Sony was bad but thought build quality was always good, certainly used to be many years ago on their walkmans, etc

I think what we're going to find is niche manufacturers are the best these days.. I bought a Samsung DVD Wrter and it stopped working after 2 weeks, now got an Inverto PVR, and seems OK, needs some firmware updates but at least the company has a forum and people are posting hint, tips and advice.
  • Options
    i had it sent back to sony and they fixed it. in all fairness, their service was really good, had a courier arrive to take the laptop, and had it back within a week, but it was really expensive. then to have it die again 13 months later, it wasn't worth paying for another one.

i've had alot of bad luck with sony over the past few years, i personally wouldn't touch ANYTHING wearing a sony badge anymore. had TVs, Sound Systems, CD Players and my Laptop all die a month or so out of warranty.
  • Options
    The worst manufacturer for repeat-failures will be Acer. Normally, they'll fix a fault by reseating a cable, only for the problem to come back months later.