Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

reformat help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am reformatting my laptop (have backed up everything in case anyone decides to remind me)

Cant seem to get onto the windows set up screen. Its just seems to come up with a recovery thing

Doesnt come up when i press F10, it just kinda automatically starts itself up into this "quick recovery" thingy which doesnt actually reformat, just re-installs everything

Anyone know where im going wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Blah wrote:
    Am reformatting my laptop (have backed up everything in case anyone decides to remind me)

Cant seem to get onto the windows set up screen. Its just seems to come up with a recovery thing

Doesnt come up when i press F10, it just kinda automatically starts itself up into this "quick recovery" thingy which doesnt actually reformat, just re-installs everything

Anyone know where im going wrong?

You might not do anything wrong, it might just built-in your laptop.

Plenty of manufacturer do change the way the all thing works, specially on laptop.

Also it might be something else tho...
  • Options
    Its been reformatted properly before i just cant remember how it was done
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Its been reformatted properly before i just cant remember how it was done

Are you trying to reformat it with windows CD then?
  • Options
    Yeh i have all the recovery CDs that were used before

Just cant seem to get into the windows set up screen in order to do it :(
  • Options
    Hm so it goes to a "quick restore" screen where it proceeds to ask me what language i prefer

really getting frustrated now! There must be someone who knows how to enter windows setup and bypass this stupid quick restore screen?
  • Options
    Yeah. Get hold of a Windows install CD rather than a recovery disc. :)
  • Options
    Yeah. Get hold of a Windows install CD rather than a recovery disc. :)

but this is all i got with it? and it worked with this before
  • Options
    go into bios and set first boot as cd disc ...make sure the disk is in place of course.
  • Options
    go into bios and set first boot as cd disc ...make sure the disk is in place of course.

yeh thats what im doing, and it just starts up this annoying quick recovery thing instead of windows setup
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    yeh thats what im doing, and it just starts up this annoying quick recovery thing instead of windows setup

Stupid question, but are you sure it is F10 you are suppose to press?
  • Options
    Normaly a recovery disc is to recover damaged files, ive never used one to reinstall windows only to repair it.

You need to get hold of a Windows CD Not a recovery, once you do it will be plain sailing from there...
  • Options
    Stupid question, but are you sure it is F10 you are suppose to press?

no its not i put that by mistake

i can get into the bios and its set to boot from cd but all i get is a quick restore screen instead of the xp setup screen
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Normaly a recovery disc is to recover damaged files, ive never used one to reinstall windows only to repair it.

You need to get hold of a Windows CD Not a recovery, once you do it will be plain sailing from there...

but ive never had a windows cd before yet my laptop has been reformatted before, so it must be possible

where would i obtain a windows CD? surely one should be with every computer sold, after all i have paid for xp :mad:
  • Options
    Have you tryed formatting from With in windows?

I.e

My computer > Right click C: > Format
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Have you tryed formatting from With in windows?

I.e

My computer > Right click C: > Format

that doesnt do it properly though does it? Plus ive got 2 partitions and i want them both formatted, want it from scratch, completely wiped
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    but ive never had a windows cd before yet my laptop has been reformatted before, so it must be possible

where would i obtain a windows CD? surely one should be with every computer sold, after all i have paid for xp :mad:

This has been going on for years. Yes, in my mind you should receive a copy of the pukka installation media. However, manufacturers often sell you the rights to use the software, but they don't sell you a physical copy of the installation media. For future reference, boycott all manufacturers who don't give you a copy of the installation media :).

PM me your address and I'll bung a copy of Professional in the post?

Or, even better... move over to a much nicer OS - FreeBSD or Linux. If you've no specific dependancy on Windows, you'll find heaps of free software, free operating systems, etc, etc.
  • Options
    This has been going on for years. Yes, in my mind you should receive a copy of the pukka installation media. However, manufacturers often sell you the rights to use the software, but they don't sell you a physical copy of the installation media. For future reference, boycott all manufacturers who don't give you a copy of the installation media :).

PM me your address and I'll bung a copy of Professional in the post?

Or, even better... move over to a much nicer OS - FreeBSD or Linux. If you've no specific dependancy on Windows, you'll find heaps of free software, free operating systems, etc, etc.

how gay is that, so how are people supposed to reformat their computers? I dont get how mine was done before without one then....

thanks for the offer, but today is the last chance i get to reformat so its today or nothing :(
    eta: cant afford to move to a different operating system either (poor student :p )
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

Very True, like the post above says your buying it pre-loaded and using it.

Again like the post above says he could pop a version in the post or you could try ebay i got a windows pro cd - a copy of corse with a working serial and works fine, expect i cant get Genuine updates...
  • Options
    Why today? Dont one of your mates have a OS Cd you could use?

Normaly pcs are sold not to be formated but some people do I.e you me and alot more people do.

If someone had time they could copy the cd to a folder and upload onto a ftp but that would take a very long time...
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    how gay is that, so how are people supposed to reformat their computers? I dont get how mine was done before without one then....

thanks for the offer, but today is the last chance i get to reformat so its today or nothing :(
    eta: cant afford to move to a different operating system either (poor student :p )

FreeBSD and Linux are both available completely free. Either download them or pay a small amount for a CD to be mailed out to you. You wouldn't be able to run Windows applications though - but there are free alternatives out there for pretty much everything...

I could rip an XP disc and let you download it, but my upload sucks(damn NTL...) so it'd take an eternity for you to download it.

I've got copies of Windows 95 that have all the installation files on there, apart from one vital one - the actual installer. How pants is that? ;)
  • Options
    Have you consider booting with a DOS bootable CD?

Cos those have all the tools necessary for what you want to do.
  • Options
    Have you consider booting with a DOS bootable CD?

Cos those have all the tools necessary for what you want to do.

ive no idea what that is, or where i would obtain it, heh

coolme: i have to do it today because today is my last day off before i go into serious uni work mode till easter! I really want it reformatted before then as theres been lots of niggling software problems that havent been sorted be re-installations, i just want it all fresh and running super fast.
  • Options
    Hmm well your stuck then unless you want to go out and spend alot of money on a OS Cd and the time now looks like you wont be able to get one becuase most places are closed..
  • Options
    Hmm.

Tricky one. If it's reformatted it for you before then you should be able to get it to do it again by fiddling with the options.

You could get eithe a windows NT or Windows XP boot disk set from here - http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and use that to go in and FDISK and FORMAT your drive, but I wouldn't guarantee that you'll be able to get anything back afterwards.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    seeing as time is running out fast ...can't you just settle on that?
    or phone round your mates ...surely someone has bent copy of xp or summat?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Very True, like the post above says your buying it pre-loaded and using it.

Again like the post above says he could pop a version in the post or you could try ebay i got a windows pro cd - a copy of corse with a working serial and works fine, expect i cant get Genuine updates...

Why buy warez when you can download it for free?