Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trying to find a pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right now I'm on a oral contraceptive that starts out with a low dose of hormones and slowly gets more as the month goes on. However my insurance does not cover that specefic brand so I end up spending $40 a month on it. I was wondering, does anybody know of any other pills that do that gradual increase of hormones so that I can look into and see if I am covered by them? I've tried looking up "estrostep similar" and such like that but I cannot seem to figure out how I would find a pill like that.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    The pill you are on is a triphasic, which is the name for pills which increase in hormones throughout the cycle- 3 lots of 7 pills with fluctuating estrogen. The other type is monophasic, a continuous hormone release.

Google triphasic pills; http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/40786-5.asp has a small list of some.

Hope this helps. Also, generic pills will probably be cheaper than brand name pills e.g. yasmin is very expensive because it's brand name but microgynon in the UK is a lot cheaper.

:)
  • Options
    OH excelent, thank you very very much :D

Oh I have learned so much, I had no idea there were that many.

One more question I'll add to this one, I know for sure Ortho Tri Cyclen is covered, however I"ve heard it decreases your sex drive alot, known people with bad experiences. But I was wondering, since its generally the same type of pill I'm already on, there shouldn't be any more side effects, eh?
  • Options
    If Ortho Tri Cyclen has the same amount of hormones (prog and est), then your side effects will be no different.. again you can probably research this online. But if the amounts differ then expect different side effects. I get all my BC knowledge from http://community.livejournal.com/birthcontrol/ they are all really helpful and I've learnt so much from the community and questions; feel so much more confident than when I first started BC just from reading that. Hope this helps you :)
  • Options
    That, and you have helped alot. THank you very much.
  • Options
    You're welcome :) Hope you find the right one!!