Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Truce

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is he to be believed or not

here

Comments

• Options
    Probably not. Just trying to make himself seem more reasonable, and turn public opinion further against America, since he knows that America won't agree to his truce, and they will be seen to be the aggressors (moreso). If America did accept, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
  • Options
    They should hold talks at least. That won't do any harm and I'm sure something can be learnt from it.
  • Options
    He is (cleverly) trying to isolate the US again, the more places which get bombed the less likely their plan is to work. His best way forward (if he has any control) is to purely focus attacks on the US. That way other countries will be much less likely to offer to help.

As for talks, I doubt you'd get him to turn up.
  • Options
    I agree. But talking isn't George Bush's strong point, maybe they should send someone a bit more tactful......Prince Philip perhaps?
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    Is he to be believed or not

here

Obviously he doesn't believe the offer of a truce is going to be accepted, but he isn't lying - we started the whole conflict, and we could end it just as easily.
  • Options
    Scary thing is that even if he were genuine (and it was him, which I doubt) there is nothing in it for the Bush crowd.

They don't want him found, they don't want him killed, they don't want A Q to stop. Without him all that goosestepping shit they have pulled would be looked at in a brand new light.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Obviously he doesn't believe the offer of a truce is going to be accepted, but he evidently isn't lying - we started the whole conflict, and we could end it just as easily.

I dont think its anywhere near as simple as that, us pulling out of Afghanistan and Iraq would help reduce the anger towards us, but it wouldnt stop it.

And anyway, Al Queda (crappy term but you know what I mean) feels it beat the USSR and can, given time do the same for the US.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to say it, but I think the guy is a genius. He seems to have a brilliant understanding of how modern warfare is fought and how to influence the media, affect public opinion and create effective propaganda. And it's testemony to his tactics that America and George Bush seem to be just as hated, if not moreso than Al Queda and Osama Bin Laden.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont think its anywhere near as simple as that, us pulling out of Afghanistan and Iraq would help reduce the anger towards us, but it wouldnt stop it.

And anyway, Al Queda (crappy term but you know what I mean) feels it beat the USSR and can, given time do the same for the US.

Well, they'll still oppose us theologically, but ending military occupation and political interference would go a long way as a remedy to the situation. Again and again, the people behind the attacks have stated clearly that the coalition's foreign policy is the key reason for their actions, however much governments deny it.
  • Options
    mmm ...osama the cia agent ...rehabilitated ...bought in from the cold.
    they will talk ...
  • Options
    Bombs away!
  • Options
    They need to find him first.

So far all they've found is innocent Pakistani and Afghanistani villagers. Not that they seem too concerned...