Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok im not sure if this is the right forum- but it sounded most relevant, anywway one of my friends was rushed to hospital today because she took an overdose of paracetomal and she collapsed (25 of them) she told me the docorts said she cudnt take paracetomol again cos she has liver damage.. anyway i was just wondering if i am damaged myself, thing is i dont understand, about 7 months ago i took an overdose of about 135 tablets mixed between paracetomol, anadin, asprin and ibroprufen- im just wondering if my friend took 25 tablets and was in that bad a state, how the hell am i ok?? i had also been out drinking that night- i drank loads of double vodkas and then i got home about 1am and took thos tablets straight after-

i cant remeber much then cos all i remember was waking up in my bed were id taken the tablets- i figured i must have passed out or something, anyway i was sick the whole day after but then i was fine. even though i feel fine now do you think i should see a doctor or something to check out, even though it was 7 months ago? i was goin to go and see 1 a few weeks back cos i have been getting shooting pains wer my kidnys r but i dont want the doctor to think im some psycho who needs councelling or anything- im totaly fine now and would NEVER consider taking one again - i guess that was just a bad time in my life and i regret doing it, do you think i should be checked out? if i am what will they do?

Comments

• Options
    Right you say you were out drinking "loads of double vodkas", are you sure you took all those tablets that you say? Paracetamol in high doses is toxic to the liver, aspirin also is damaging to the stomach; ibuprofen less so.

The doctor won't think you are a psycho - although the counselling may be a good idea - if you go to him and say what you did, then he most likely take a blood sample, and perform a "Liver Function Test", basically a LFT looks at a whole range of chemicals associated with the liver.

If these come back abnormal, then further tests may be needed to evaluate the damage done and any treatment options.

Go to your docs.
  • Options
    An overdose of ibuprofen can make you vomit. If you really took all that lot (and I agree with Panthro, if you were so drunk then maybe you actually didn't somehow?) then the only explanation I can think of is that you took a high enough OD of ibuprofen and you vomited the lot.

Taking that much paracetamol and failing to get any medical help would've meant a slow and horrible death for certain.

ETA: By slow I mean within a week or so just in case you start to think you're about to kick the bucket now.
  • Options
    Too much ibuprofen irritates the lining of the stomach and can cause you to vomit large amounts of blood...this may leave you anaemic requiring a blood transfusion etc. So with the amount you say you took, i would of expected damage at the time. I'm a nurse and have seen people take half the amount you have, without the alcohol to also cause damage, and they have suffered. So i agree with Miffy and Panthro, perhaps you actually did not take as much as you think, beasue you were so drunk. Or as Miffy said...you vommited it all back pretty sharpish before it entered your blood stream :yes:

It might be worth having a check up just to be sure though, no harm in that. Your GP wont judge you, and wont force you to seek counselling etc if you dont want any ;)
  • Options
    thanx guysare you sure i wont be made to see anyone though? I defo know how many i took cos i had them in my room for ages before i had the guts to do it- by getting check ups and stuff does that mean ill have blood test and all?
  • Options
    You cannot be forced to accept any treatment unless you are sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Why did you have them in your room in the first place? Why did you wait until you "had the guts". Talking it over may help you.

You can refuse any treatment remember but it is better to be pro-active rather than reactive and getting yourself checked out.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    You cannot be forced to accept any treatment unless you are sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
    The MHA cannot be used to force medical treatment on somebody unless it is for the psychiatric disorder.

Medical treatments can be given in a patient's "best interest" under common law, but only when it can be shown that their judgment is impaired.