Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Really super quick question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
STI's like Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea and the rest of the lovely bunch,

can they be contracted in ways other than unprotected intercourse?

wikipedia for once hasnt prooved much help, and i couldn't find anything in the health bit :S

Comments

• Options
    STI's like Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea and the rest of the lovely bunch,

can they be contracted in ways other than unprotected intercourse?

wikipedia for once hasnt prooved much help, and i couldn't find anything in the health bit :S
    Some STI's can be caught though oral sex e.g. gonorrhoea and HIV (although HIV is much more commonly passed on though intercourse than oral).

Public lice can be caught from any close contact or though sharing towels.

If you share sex toys then this poses some risk and using condoms is recommended. If you are female and rub your pussy on another girl's pussy (I forget what the technical name for this is) then this poses some risk although it is fairly small.
  • Options
    The main ways seem to be (for the majority):

vaginal or anal sex with an infected partner
    oral sex, although this is less common
    sharing sex toys

Pubic lice are easily passed on through sexual contact, or through close physical contact:

they crawl from hair to hair; they don't fly or jump
    the eggs of the lice can survive away from the body for up to 24 hours, so it's possible for them to be passed on by sharing clothes, bedding or towels
    pubic lice are different to head lice.

HIV/Aids:
    HIV can only be passed on through the transfer of blood, semen, vaginal fluids and breast milk. The two main ways in which a person can become infected are:

vaginal or anal sexual intercourse (without a condom) with an infected person
    using a needle or syringe that's already been used by someone who's infected

I think that covers all of them.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    HIV/Aids:
    HIV can only be passed on through the transfer of blood, semen, vaginal fluids and breast milk. The two main ways in which a person can become infected are:

vaginal or anal sexual intercourse (without a condom) with an infected person
    using a needle or syringe that's already been used by someone who's infected
    Also it's worth noting that if you have had oral piercings (e.g. tongue) within the last twelve months you are at greater risk with oral sex.
  • Options
    ok maybe i should rephrase this then,

person A is not infected. Has only had 1 unprotected sexual relationship

person B thinks they are infected, has only had 1 unprotected sexual relationship.

is it possible that an STI possesing possible symptoms of gonorrhoea or Chlamydia (or anything that are alike) could be contracted any other way, or could be a non-sexual transmited infection?
  • Options
    That makes sense, Never thought of that as I don't have any piercings, never really wanted any either.
  • Options
    ok maybe i should rephrase this then,

person A is not infected. Has only had 1 unprotected sexual relationship

person B thinks they are infected, has only had 1 unprotected sexual relationship.

is it possible that an STI possesing possible symptoms of gonorrhoea or Chlamydia (or anything that are alike) could be contracted any other way, or could be a non-sexual transmited infection?
    Depends what symptons they have.

Thrush can be mistaken for an STI (and STI's can be mistaken for thrush) depending on what symptons you are referring to.
  • Options
    Chlamydia is mainly passed from one person to another through sexual activity such as:
    vaginal or anal sex with an infected partner
    oral sex, although this is less common
    sharing sex toys

It can also be passed from a mother to her baby at birth.
    You can't catch chlamydia from kissing, hugging, sharing baths, towels, cups, plates, cutlery, or from toilet seats or swimming pools.

Gonorrhoea is infectious and easily passed on through:
    vaginal, oral or anal sex
    close physical contact
    sharing sex toys
    from a mother to her baby at birth

It can also be passed from the genitals to the eyes by the fingers.

You can't catch gonorrhoea from kissing, hugging, sharing baths, towels, cups, plates or cutlery, or from toilet seats or swimming pools.

Mmm thursh has some similar symptons, best advice would for Bto go to the doctors or a gum clinic.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Depends what symptons they have.

Thrush can be mistaken for an STI (and STI's can be mistaken for thrush) depending on what symptons you are referring to.

ok, well i'm unable to confirm the symptoms :( i guess a simple visit to the gum center will soon tell :S
  • Options
    thanks for all your help peeps! :) really appreciate it.