Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

kelly bows into media pressure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4625126.stm

personally i think it's a stupid move, mainly because you always need some level of discretion... this law would for example stop a 16yr old boy who got cautioned for having sex with his 15yr old girlfriend, or even kissing her under the sexual offences act of last year or the year before

and i swear ruth kelly is secretly a guy :lol:

Comments

• Options
    It was inevitable that she would bow to tabloid pressure.

Sadly I suspect that most of the population agrees with her, so democracy in action I suppose....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    It was inevitable that she would bow to tabloid pressure.

Sadly I suspect that most of the population agrees with her, so democracy in action I suppose....

i'm waiting for a thing saying
    51% of the population believes banning all oppositon parties is in the best interests of improving peoples lives
  • Options
    Ruth Kelly is a young boy, with a false deep voice to try to sound older for getting served in bars.
  • Options
    Or Pete Docherty in a dress.
  • Options
    "Paedos out!" "Hang them all!" "Think of the childreeeeeeeeeen!"

LCL15.gif

Why don't we just give Murdoch and Rothermere the keys to 10 Downing St. and we get over and done with it all?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Skinny dipping gets you onto the sex offenders list too :nervous:
    Yeah, I think having sex in public does too. Surely the sex offenders register should be for real offenses, rather than just offending peoples sensibilities. I was laughing at a letter in the local rag tonight. A guy wrote in, outraged at the fact that a programme was broadcast before the watershed, which had a gay kiss in, and "references to lesbians." Think of the children, won't somebody PLEASE think of the children! :banghead:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Think of the children, won't somebody PLEASE think of the children! :banghead:

Shame some people think of the children a bit too much..........
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Shame some people think of the children a bit too much..........
    People that want to sell a lot of newspapers.
  • Options
    Just a quick factual note - although a lot of media outlets are saying "anyone on the sex offenders register will be banned from working in schools" that's not what is going to happen. What Kelly actually said was that anyone cautioned or convicted for a child sex offence will go on the banned list, as will those cautioned or convicted of an (unspecified) range of 'serious' adult sex offences. Skinny dipping probably wouldn't be covered, having consensual sex with an adult in a public place probably wouldn't, rape, whatever the age of the victim, probably would.

However the former teacher who ended up marrying the 15 year old he began a sexual relationship with would have been convicted of a 'child sex offence' and would be subject to the automatic ban.

No opinion in this post - just wanted to correct some of the mis-information given out by the media, particularly ITV News at 10:30 last night which continually said that everyone on the sex offenders register would be banned from working in schools which is actually not true.