Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Losing weight in a specific area

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right chaps

Recently i have begun going to the gym, I've been twice since Friday so want to try and keep up my going twice maybe 3 times a week. I dont really use weights just the running machines, and that one thats like a running machine but sort of a step thing.

Anyhoo, I weighed myself in the gym today, the first time ive weighed myself properly in ages, like since before uni. I weigh 9 stone 11. It probably doesnt sound much but i weighed a little over 8 and a half before uni. I know halls food probably had something to do with the weight and id assume beer/cider drinking hasnt helped. As a result i have quite a belly which just looks odd as everywhere else I have a body like Skeletor. So what sort of activities in the gym (and at home) should i do in order to lose the weight off my stomach?

Cheers.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i have same problem!! started uni weighing just over 8 and a half and am now about 3/4 of a stone heavier!! ive just started going to the gym too and ive been doing the step.. thing, running machine, rowing machine and the bicycle thing too!!

i would say that out of all of those machines, the rowing machine is the most effective when it comes to stomach. (as well as toning up arms which is a bonus!!) so if you are not doing that already i would recommend it!!!

also when i get home every night i do a set of about 50 sit ups and 'tummy twists' and exercises like that. they should help too!
  • Options
    Put simply, you cannot lose weight in a specific area - if you could then people who chewed gum would never get a double chin.
  • Options
    But the thing is im stick thin everywhere else. I cant really afford to lose weight anywhere else! just my tummy is all flabby and urg.

I have been to the gym twice in the last 7 days, and i have a 2 hour football training session once a week, as well as matches on sundays. (though it is only sunday league and im pretty much a sub)
  • Options
    Cut down on the beer - there are a lot of calories in that type of thing!

The best things for stomachs are sit ups and crunches.

Crunches - lay on your back as if you were doing a sit up. Then bring your legs up so that your legs stick upwards till your knees, and the rest of your leg is at 90 degrees to that. Then do situps like that. Also you can do curls, which are the same thing but sit up to one side and then the other, still in that position.
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    easiest way to balance it is to get involved with a sports club, exercise is then less boring and you meet more healthy hot chicks. which is what it's all about really...

:lol: It's you!!

People have probably already said this, but I'm going to say it anyhow. You can't lose weight from a specific area, you'll have to do the weightloss/cutting back thing generally. You can then tone up the bits you think need special attention (i.e. your stomach) with exercises like sit-ups and all that malarkey.

If you're going to the gym and doing a fair bit of sport then maybe it's just paranoia...learn to love the beer belly, they've got character. ;):p
  • Options
    Either way this isn't about weight loss, as it's unlikely that you will lose weight even if you sort the tummy. It's more to do with doing suitable exercise for what you want to achieve. Crunches and similar will help to sort that out, weightlifting probably wouldn't do much to that area unless you do some very specific exercises. Aerobic stuff would probably be more useful.

Don't worry about losing weight anywhere else. All that will happen if you train effectively is that your existing frame will become more toned.
  • Options
    I dont do weights anyway.

And yes I know, Im attempting to drink a little less heh.
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    'just when i thought i was out...' ;)

how's tricks?

Not bad, all work and no play etc etc. :(

And yourself? Been back to the Zoo (or whatever it was!) lately...I'm sure you said they were getting a rhino :chin: :hyper:
  • Options
    Im no expert myself - but been going to gym a lot lately and definately think sit ups and crunches are best for tummys, aswell as plenty cardios - running, cycling and rowing. But i dont know about your gym but mine has cards all of different levels, and have different routines to do in the gym which are for specific targets. Like arm strength to fat burn in your bum! So i can get one and post it on here next time i go to the gym, or you could talk to one of the guys/gals at ur gym and see what they say - they should be nice and friendly.

Hope it goes well