Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best form of contraception?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking for a different form of contraception, ideally fairly long term, that I can use alongside or without condoms. I have somewhat irregular periods and more and more recently they seem to be accompanied by very very painful cramps.

I've narrowed it down to the implant, patch and the combined pill. Any thoughts on which would be best?

Before you mention the others, IUS, IUD, the mini pill or the injection, they aren't suitable for various reasons, but I have considered them and will talk it over with someone at the clinic tomorrow or friday.

Comments

• Options
    My dad says the best form of contraception is a baby :yes:.

That doesn't help you, though. Not sure which one would be best for you, and I think the person you talk to will be able to help you more than us.
  • Options
    I have been taking the pill for around 2 years and I found that even that didn't regulate my cycle.... i still spotted in between 'breaks' and it just generally didn't do it for me.
    So last week I got implanon. And so far so good. It's a week today which I guess is too soon to know for sure, but I feel better than I have in a long time and i put it down to not taking the pill.
    The best thing about it is that it lasts 3 years...... you don't have to even think about it until that time is up. And if you decide you do want to get pregnant within that time its a simple procedure to get it out and you can conceive as of the very next day.
    Obviously it's going to be different for everyone but i really think that it's worth a try/
  • Options
    The only thing that is putting me off the implant really is the putting it in. I dont like doctors or needles at the best of times. How did they put it in (ie just a simple cut, stick it in, sew you up jobby) and will it scar?
  • Options
    it does scar when it's removed, a roundish scar about the size of a smiley.

with the implant you may find you have more periods - or less. personally i found i bled quite a few times only a week or two apart and then for awhile no period at all, but if u have irregular periods you will be used to that anyway. alot of my mates who have had it found they put on weight with it, but i personally didn't. it didn't suit me for other reasons though.

it takes about 10 mins to go in and they use anaesthetic so u don't feel it. i think they make a small hole and feed it in through that. i didn't have stitches when they put it in i don't think.
  • Options
    The injection often stops periods eventually, therefore you won't get cramps. The first few times I went for it, they asked if I had a problem with needles, as otherwise they would be inconspicuous and not let you see it so you don't get as anxious.
    It's really small and doesn't hurt very much, and is done at the very top of your buttock just below your hip bone - so you don't see it about to go in, so don't have to worry about flinching.
  • Options

It's really small and doesn't hurt very much, and is done at the very top of your buttock just below your hip bone - so you don't see it about to go in, so don't have to worry about flinching.

I've had an injection in my buttock before and it did not hurt at all, the nurse made my lie down on the couch and told me to wiggle my legs up and down slightly (as if swimming with a float) so that I did not tense up, as that would cause it to hurt more. Yes I did feel silly but I think that was what helped to take my mind off the fact that the injection was happening.
  • Options
    I just really really hate needles, and don't think I could willingly put myself through having an injection. :(

From the sounds of it the pill is the only thing that actually regulates periods, so I might look into the IUS afterall. What put me off was that it can make things irregular, but I guess if everything else is going to..

I wonder when they'll come up with a form of contraception that doesn't involve hassle, pain, side effects, irregular periods, or needles. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I wonder when they'll come up with a form of contraception that doesn't involve hassle, pain, side effects, irregular periods, or needles. :rolleyes:
    condoms? of course the men get the use the simplest one :impissed:
  • Options
    No, those come under hassle (well not all of the time..) :(
  • Options
    i dont recommend the injection. It made me so depressed its not even funny. Also completely removed libido, so therefore i guess very effective contraception - could not get in the mood for sex AT ALL, for the 3 months till it was over.
    Best contraception in my opinion is the IUD coil, either hormonal or non-hormonal. ive had both.
  • Options
    my mum has the coil...dunno if she uses anything else - don't really wanna know! But i remember she has to have it changed every 3 years or something and it has to be done while you're on your period. And aparrantly it hurts like fuck when they put it in but my mum says its worth it.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm on the patch and I think it's grand. Been on it since laaaaaaaast October with no probs. ;D
  • Options
    i've had the implant for over a year now and have had no problems

have also had no periods which is a bonus :D
  • Options
    im from portugal s.. can u please explain what the implant does, where its put on, etc? :flirt: