Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tourists...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is there anywhere, where the British tourist can go and not get treated like shit by the locals? Hell, I even dress normally and try to speak the language, yet when they work out I'm British I get treaten like shit.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Avoid France (who are xenophobic to say the least) and North Belfast.

The yanks seem to dig the accent. Where have you had trouble?
  • Options
    Canada - virtually everyone there is really really nice.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Nz.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Malta I found were very welcoming and had no problems.

Egypt my dad left the hotel and went walking around the shops and was very welcome although being out of the hotel i felt extremely uncomfortable. Possibly because of how the view young women.

But yeah as said above Americans are the most welcoming... ever! I reckon so anyway!
  • Options
    I cant remember having problems anywhere, places ive felt really welcome include, USA, Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Latvia, Belgium.
  • Options
    South Americans are really nice once they work out that you're not American and thus not a gringo. Ecuadorians are really, really lovely people. Avoid Peruvians as they're generally wankers on the whole. Argentines are cool but a little too Italian-esque for my liking. Columbians are not to be trusted. Ever. And the rest are ok.

Yanks really dig the accent especially if you speak Queen's English.
  • Options
    Malta, Cyprus, Kos, Belgium and Madeira I all found very welcoming.

Tusnisia and Egypt can be a bit difficult, its not so much they are unfriendly, I've never felt in danger in Tusnisia I've been there 5 times. But because of there culture of haggerling (sp?) in markets etc, when you stop to look at something they will always ask you to look inside, but if you are polite to them, then they will be polite back.
  • Options
    The Dutch are the friendliest people, in my experience (and I've met and worked with a hell of a lot of them both in and out of The Netherlands).

Germans are very welcoming (if you seem like you're actually glad to be there!), despite what most people would think, are Austrians (especially in small towns, where I always felt a bit like a celebrity, heh). I've always found the French incredibly friendly, interesting and interested. But I seem to be in the minority there. In Europe I'd say the Italians are the most aloof, and least likely to be your instant best friend...but that's only from my experience.

I've always found Greece/Greek Islands to be full of really friendly, hospitable people, but it can be a bit too friendly in some places if you're young and female.
  • Options
    I haven't travelled hugely but I've been treated well in Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Granada and Andalucia generally and Berlin.
  • Options
    In Australia you'll have a bit of banter, but be a man about it.

Most of Europe are fine, I had a great time in Bavaria and Austria. The Austrians in the Salzkammergut were so friendly.

The only place I've had trouble was in Hong Kong, but that was just two silly kids.
  • Options
    North Belfast.

It's funny cos it's true.

Well I only went abroad once, to the Algarve, nice wee fishing town and the locals were very kind. I also went to Seville on the same holiday and they were very kind. I think it was because the places we went to weren't full of lager louts.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Well I only went abroad once, to the Algarve, nice wee fishing town and the locals were very kind.

Yes, it was lovely there when I went when I was younger. The policemen etc were really friendly too, heh.
  • Options
    Canada
  • Options
    go to india :D ive been to loooads of places over the world and the indian people are by far the most friendly and courteous people i have ever met!

they can be a bit pushy though when it comes to giving them money (beggars etc) or trying to get you to buy their stuff from stalls but other than that they are nice!! :)

malaysians are also friendly people.. but not to the same extent!! met a few rude people when i was in kuala lumpur last year