Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sex without a condom

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My girlfriend and I had sex without a condom for the first time yesterday as she's been on the pill since last wednesday. However, as thats less than 7 days is it still effective? The packaging said it was effective immediately I'm just checking we haven't mis-interpreted anything. And also, how good is the pill at preventing pregnancy?

Comments

• Options
    Some pill are effective immediately some are effective after 7 days, but if that is what it said on the leftlet then it should be okay.

Here is a table I found on Netdoctor about the effectiveness of certain types of contraception.

Contraceptive method Effectiveness
    Vasectomy Almost 100 per cent
    Female sterilisation Almost 100 per cent
    The Pill Almost 100 per cent
    Contraceptive injection 'Jab' Almost 100 per cent
    IUS (Mirena) 98 to 99 per cent
    IUD (the coil) 97 to 98 per cent
    The mini-Pill Arond 98 per cent
    Male condom 90 to 98 per cent
    Female condom 90 to 98 per cent
    Cap (diaphragm) with spermicide 90 to 96 per cent
  • Options
    I thought most pills you had to take for 7days to be effective, I've been on the combined pill and the progesterone only pill and bth needed to be taken for 7days. Its the same if you miss a pill or are sick.
  • Options
    If the pill is taken on the first day of her period then she is protected from day one. If the pill is taken at any other day in her cycle then she isn't protected for 7 days; because she is still at risk of ovulation. Which start did she do?

The pill is 99% effective when taken correctly, it is designed to be a sole method of contraception.
  • Options
    onabun wrote:
    If the pill is taken on the first day of her period then she is protected from day one. If the pill is taken at any other day in her cycle then she isn't protected for 7 days

Yeah that was the case with the pill i'm on. Did you read the leaflet that came with the pills, because it should have all the important information about everything to do with that on there.
    If taken correctly the pill is one of the most reliable forms of contraception, you just have to watch out for missed pills, or if your sick soon after taking it as this can decrease its affectiveness.