Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Punch and Judy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Encourages domestic violence.

Discuss

punch+judy.jpg

Comments

• Options
    And abuse of crocodiles in my experience. Look at Steve Irwin. Clearly raised on Punch and Judy.
  • Options
    :eek2: its just a puppet show
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    :eek2: its just a puppet show
    Yes but what message does it send out?
  • Options
    Yes but what message does it send out?

that it's a silly puppet show
  • Options
    I guess it kinda does, with the whole social learning theory. But at the same time, most people who become/are violent are like that due to other factors.

Personally, I think it's pretty much a load of bullshit and that violence occurs as a result of the individuals personal experience and stuff. Exposure to violent stuff only affects the already affected IMHO. Like, people have a pre-disposition to stuff.

I get annoyed with the fact that people might blame stuff like violent movies and games for influencing murderers. For example when that game got banned a while ago because some guy apparently used it for inspiration when killing someone else. Anyone who gets ideas from this stuff and goes through with them is obviously already screwed in the head. If most people can watch violence and remain pretty sane then it's obviously not that bad.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i used to love punch and judy when i was a lil 'un! and i have never hit any of my boyfriends, (however the need was there frequently!) i just thought it was funny...although their noses did scare me! :nervous:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    hm maybe it sends out the wrong message but i dont think kids watch the show then think ''oh i'm going to go round hitting everyone now'' usually they'll forget about it an hour later
    i agree that some fairytales suggest that women wil be miserable unless they're with a guy, but when you're little you don't see it that way - its just a story that you grow out of
    i mean, how many of us who used to listen to fairy tales believe that women are miserable spinsters untill they find a man?
  • Options
    i sometimes think about stuff like this, such as, what message does the story of cinderella send out - that women are destined to a life of misery and drudgery unless they can get a man to rescue them - and there's loads of fairy stories with similar messages that i don't think i'd want to tell my daughters from a young age...but then i think, if you don't tell your children the story of cinderella because you think it's misogynistic and promotes an attitude that without a man women are worthless, does that really just mean that you are a paranoid, mad old woman? do you really not let your children see punch and judy because it promotes violence? i can never decide where i stand on this, i'm torn between not liking the messages they promote, and not wanting to become completely crazy and stupidly PC. tough call, for me at least.

Well it is true most people's lives are fufilled by the opposite sex so i don't think there's much wrong with Cinderella despite what some feministas would have you believe.

As for punch and judy...i don't think children of that age make the connection.
  • Options
    Bandura anyone?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Well it is true most people's lives are fufilled by the opposite sex so i don't think there's much wrong with Cinderella despite what some feministas would have you believe.

As for punch and judy...i don't think children of that age make the connection.
    Don't forget the message that girls will put down, won't let out of the house, and generally be bitches to other girls prettier than themselves. :D A bit more truth in that bit to be honest.
  • Options
    It think that it's just a convenient scapegoat, much like Page 3 is for rape.
  • Options
    It think that it's just a convenient scapegoat, much like Page 3 is for rape.
    Is it? :confused:
  • Options
    Don't forget the message that girls will put down, won't let out of the house, and generally be bitches to other girls prettier than themselves. :D A bit more truth in that bit to be honest.

So you think that's true? Or not? :confused:
  • Options
    Is it? :confused:

How many copies of that paper are sold, how many rapes?
    The Mirror dropped Page 3 years ago, has the number of rapes dropped?

Seriously, the link is so minimal it's irrelevant.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say Page 3 is linked to rapes but it certainly perpetuates the portrayal of women as sex objects. I don't think there is place for that in a so-called national newspaper.
  • Options
    I disagree and I am not sure that is actually a bad thing anyway.

Being women is what makes them the object of men's desires. That is simple biology. They could be fully clothed and it would make little difference to the fact that men find them attractive.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    So you think that's true? Or not? :confused:
    Only when I'm in one of my bitter "women are all the same" prejudice bastard moods. :D
  • Options
    Encourages domestic violence.
    I think it discourages it, by exagerating the charaters to the grotesque it both entertains and simplifies the messages.

Punch is thoroughly unpleasant. He dies and goes to hell. Moral: don't be wicked
    Wife who puts up with Punch. She looses her baby to him. Moral: don't put up with an abusive partner.

I seem to remember the messages about the legal system being somewhat right-wing, but I've just realised I've forgotten most of the storyline. It appears senility is setting in.
  • Options
    I don't think Punch & Judy has any lasting psychological effects on the children who see the shows. But whoever said they don't go around hitting each other afterwards probably hasn't been to many P&J shows (very sad to say, I have) because they most definitely do.

I think it sends out a very bad message, and is a grotesque form of entertainment when you look a little deeper, but I don't think it heavily influences people to go on to become abusive domestically (or anywhere else, in fact).
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    But is that because we're told we need our life fulfilled by "romance"? Or because it's natural?

How many people out there think they're wierd or losers and are unhappy because they're not in a relationship? There must be more to this than biology... Otherwise we'd just end up fucking whatever moves or something
  • Options
    But is that because we're told we need our life fulfilled by "romance"? Or because it's natural?

How many people out there think they're wierd or losers and are unhappy because they're not in a relationship? There must be more to this than biology... Otherwise we'd just end up fucking whatever moves or something

No, it's just biology. Think about our evolutionary purpose - we are here to procreate and further the species. It's easy to see how the inherent human desire for romance, love etc is natural instinct. It's nature's enticement to procreate.
  • Options

i liked breasts before i heard about it from anyone else - if that doesn't say i'm a perv by nature, i don't know what does :p
  • Options
    Bandura anyone?

Bobo doll study?
    Proved that watching a parent beat up a Bobo doll made them more likely to imitate that behaviour and beat up the doll as well.

Robert Winston also did a similar study on the TV.

If children find the puppets scary (eg noses mentioned on this thread) are they still likely to imitate that behaviour? Because I thought it was watching a figure that they respected etc that they were likely to imitate.