Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pensioners (80-90)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does it ever annoy you how pensioners try and put "their" day's prices on today's goods? For example, I was in Waterstones a few days ago and I overheard 2 pensioners talking about a roughly 300 page paperback priced at £8.99 (I was nosy and checked what they were complaining about :D ), they said that £8.99 was outragious and it should be priced from 50p to £2.50 and I've seen happenings like this a lot. I recently got French private tuition for £8 an hour and the tutor even drives 10 miles to my house, and I mentioned it to my great uncle (he's 86) and he said £8 an hour is outragious for that. I mean, WTF? £8 is a great price, most tutors want £25.

I mean, get real, they're not in "their" day anymore, they're in "our" day and if they wanna get on in "our" day they're gonna have to get over prices change, but one thing that did cross my mind, wouldn't the price they paid back then be equvilent to the price they pay now in realation to the wages?
Sorry, I'm ranting now, but it really does annoy me.

Comments

• Options
    i once served an old lady at work. she bought some butter and it had gone up by 2p or something. she went to the customer service desk to moan about inflation. apparantly she does it every week!
  • Options
    my nan does that, bcos she very rarely goes out bcos she's ill. she's always shocked at the prices i pay for clothes, etc, but then again my grandad's done all the shopping for the last 6 years as she barely leaves the house!
  • Options
    my nana doesnt do that at all (for what its worth)
    Just so you realise not all pensioners are whinging bastards. In fact youll probably find that pensioners are JUST LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE. Like every section of society you get some who are complete annoying cunts and others that are sound as a pound.
  • Options
    Bloody kids, you should be seen and not heard, preferably not either.

You dont know what it was like! Life was better in the Old Days, penny chews, rationing....
  • Options
    My Grandma is completely normal, and I love her very much. Ahhh.

People who come in the shop a lot complain about prices all the time, probably because Co-op prices are high anyway.

ETA Did not notice the 80-90 bit, my grandma is about 78 I think.
  • Options
    some pensioners rock
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    You can easily go to the local libary, ask them to order the book in for you for free.
  • Options
    some pensioners rock

True, look at Mick Jagger. :razz:
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    True, look at Mick Jagger.
    I'd rather not...
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    I'd rather not...

Me either.
  • Options
    I used to hate pensioners, but had some delightful old deas in the Jockey when I worked there... I mean sometimes I joke about hating kids and old people, but meh...

I like listening to their stories.
  • Options
    My grandparents sometimes talk about old money and prices but they never do it in a moany way. It's just more to inform us or whatever, like "oooh wasn't it good when we got all this for a shilling!" etc.
  • Options
    Before my Granny died (90 i think she was) we had a chat about how much uni was costing me, and how much her first house cost and lalalalalalala. She was fine with it, like, "wow isn't inflation impressive", but so was I, and we were both treating it as normal.